RogertheRed
(Member) (Topic Starter)
There are several explanatory comments on Indian currency in various parts of the forum. However if you are going to Kerala and relying on changing Sterling notes make sure you cash sufficient at the Crowne Plaza on the first day to see you through till the Thursday lunchtime. Including sufficient for tips to the driver, bus boy and local guide.

The hotel Poetree Saravar Portico, the houseboats and the Abad Whispering Palms had few rupees so exchanging Sterling was virtually impossible.

For those using ATM's there is one in the grounds of the Crowne Plaza, another at the bus pickup point in Thakkady and one outside the Uday Samudra in Kovalam. It is difficult for the bus to stop during the journeys.

Many in our group struggled at times to get rupees.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

When I did this trip, our local guide arranged for someone to come to the hotel with lots of rupees and we all were able to change what we needed. I had managed to get some rupees (£100 worth) in London and then changed the rest at the hotel. I did not need to change any more. I never use ATMs when on holidays - always take plenty of cash and a credit card as a back up.

Jaya

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Like Jaya, I use cash and a credit card as back up. The last time that I used an ATM abroad was Buenos Aires in 2011 and it was a HSBC- my bank. When it asked English or Spanish- it came up with Good Morning Mrs B**b. Big brother is certainly watching you :rolleyes: 

Jan