Jaya
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I know that we need a Visa to travel to Australia.  I logged on to the Australian Government website last Thursday just to see how to obtain 'ESTA' (it may be called something else) and discovered that there are several types of Visas one can get.  I applied for 'Subclass 651' Visa and was granted a year's Visa within a day.  There was no cost and you only had to fill in a form.  With this type of Visa I can travel to Australia as many times as I wish within the year and stay up to 3 months.  I understand that there is a fee for getting 'ESTA' so why not just go for this free Visa?!  

Kind regards

Jaya

AbbaDave
(Member)
Great news Jaya, well done to you, you will have a wonderful time in OZ I am very envious

all the best

Dave

Jellifer
(Member)
Hi Jaya, 

I'm going to Oz next month (not JY as they were fully booked) and I got the free online visa too. I don't see why anyone would pay for a visa when that is so easy and free. It may not be widely known so it's good you raised the topic. 

Jellifer

JohnL
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Jaya,

Taking your tip I've just applied for, & have been granted, a 651 visa so will see you in January! I'll be flying from Manchester on the first leg & will not be doing the Dubai extension.

Regards

John

Jaya
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi John

I too am not doing the Dubai extension as the Aussie Tour is long enough as it is and dare not ask for more time off at work! Glad you too have now got your free Visa. See you in January.

Kind regards

Jaya

SarahS
(Member)
As a follow on, a number of countries now offer online visas, or ESTAs. I haven't found any others that are free, but have successfully obtained visas and/or ESTAs for Burma, Sri Lanka, USA and Canada. All very straightforward, and issued within twenty four hours of application. Payment, in either local currency or US dollars easily done using a credit card. The only thing to watch is that you use the country's official site, and not one of the many agent's sites where you will be charged a hefty application fee. The real benefit of online application is not having to lose sight of your passport.