sjm533
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

I shall soon be flying from Leeds/Bradford airport with BA to Heathrow one day and leaving the next, also with BA.  This will give me the opportunity to check my luggage through from Leeds to destination, which will mean leaving it in the care of LHR overnight.  Has anyone done this before, and is it safe to do so?  I am wary and have always refused this service in the past.

Reports of any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sylvia

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

Guess you have moved since our trip to Apulia! I have no experience of leaving luggage with airline overnight but have checked luggage straight through from destinations in Asia and USA. Luggage has always appeared at Edinburgh Airport! Maybe I have just been lucky. If it makes it easier for you, I suggest you give it a go.

Lesley

sjm533
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'lesley07' wrote:

Hi Sylvia

Guess you have moved since our trip to Apulia! I have no experience of leaving luggage with airline overnight but have checked luggage straight through from destinations in Asia and USA. Luggage has always appeared at Edinburgh Airport! Maybe I have just been lucky. If it makes it easier for you, I suggest you give it a go.

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

You guessed right - I moved last October, and am now in North Yorkshire.  Though what my late husband, a Lancastrian, would have thought of it I dread to think!  I have checked baggage through successfully from start to finish on daytime connecting flights, but thought it would be nice not have to drag it overnight.  Still not sure.  Enjoy your travels.

Sylvia

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi,

I frequently have to stay overnight at Heathrow/Gatwick as I fly down from Glasgow, but I always pick up my luggage (I normally need it anyway for the overnight stay) and check it in the next morning again. I personally wouldn't leave it overnight at LHR, but would be interested to see if it is OK. Where do they put it?  LHR delight in leaving my luggage out on the runway in the pouring rain!

Cheers,

Hils

sjm533
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Hils' wrote:

Hi,

I frequently have to stay overnight at Heathrow/Gatwick as I fly down from Glasgow, but I always pick up my luggage (I normally need it anyway for the overnight stay) and check it in the next morning again. I personally wouldn't leave it overnight at LHR, but would be interested to see if it is OK. Where do they put it?  LHR delight in leaving my luggage out on the runway in the pouring rain!

Cheers,

Hils

Good morning Hils,

Glasgow was my regional airport until last year.  I have always taken my luggage with me overnight, but assume that the airline keeps it in a holding area for the nxt flight.  Don't think I will risk it though - it's a pain but I would rather have it with me than lose it.

Thanks

Sylvia

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

I agree with Hils. I would not want to leave my luggage overnight with an Airline. If you are going to stay in a hotel you may as well take it with you.

Jaya

sjm533
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Sylvia

I agree with Hils.  I would not want to leave my luggage overnight with an Airline.  If you are going to stay in a hotel you may as well take it with you.  

Jaya

Thanks Jaya

I am still not sure.  Someone else told me that he always books it through, leaving it overnight, and has never had any problem.   It is a hassle with two cases getting the bus from Heathrow to the hotel, and I am not as strong as i used to be.  Will probably finally decide at check-in.

Regards

Sylvia

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

I have a friend who works for BA. Will check what arrangements are for leaving luggage overnight and let you know.

Lesley

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

Have spoken to my friend who is a manager with BA. He advised that your luggage will be stored in a secure area and should arrive at your final destination without any problems. I suppose case is just as likely to go astray if you check it in at Heathrow next day!

Hope this helps and have a lovely holiday.

Lesley

sjm533
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'lesley07' wrote:

Hi Sylvia

Have spoken to my friend who is a manager with BA. He advised that your luggage will be stored in a secure area and should arrive at your final destination without any problems. I suppose case is just as likely to go astray if you check it in at Heathrow next day!

Hope this helps and have a lovely holiday.

Lesley

Thank you Lesley, that's very thoughtful of you.  I think I have finally decided to take it with me on the way out - and book it through on the way back.  If it goes astray on the return journey it will be less hassle.

Have a good holiday as well.

Sylvia

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

I'm glad you have made the decision to take your luggage with you. Alarm bells ring with me at the thought of leaving my suitcase somewhere else overnight - security question: did you pack your suitcase yourself? did you leave it anywhere unattended etc etc!!!!

Have a good trip

(Another) Sylvia