nixon
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
What is the dress code

This has been asked in the past, so thought I would just say a couple of thing's.

Smart Casual is the way to go I feel.

Layers work well as on a multi stop tours the climate can change.

Comfy shoes are a must as there is normaly an amount of walking somewhere on the tour to be done.

A fleece can come in very handy at times and it does not weigh that much in the case.

Pachmina type scarves work well to take the chill of the evening or the day, I also use them on the flight as sometimes the air con can get rather chilly.

I use travel size toiletries as most hotels do provide you with stuff.

Paper tissues

Hand wipes

Hand cleansing gel

Small first aid kit with the basics

In your hand luggage take a spare set of underwear and clean top and travel toothbrush and paste just in case your case goes missing. (mine never has on the 8 tours I have done but it has happened to others)

Photocopy your passport and travel insurance documents and LEAVE this information with someone you trust then IF they get lost you will be able to get this information I also travel with copies in a seperate place just in case.

If your taking your credit cards etc with you inform the bank or credit card people you are doing this to avoid them getting BLOCKED while you are away.

Cindy

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for sharing your tip's Cindy 🙂

Ben

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy,

very useful info! I'd just add, being a bloke, that the men do not usually "dress up" for dinner - well not much anyhow, we might put on a new shirt etc but we are not into the fashion aspect the same way many of the ladies are!! This especially applies to those of us who have to dress smart for work, it is nice to be able to relax on holidays, wearing casual clothes.

Best wishes,

Bob

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Like Cindy I always take clothing in my hand luggage just in case my main bag doesn't arrive, not happend yet but first time I don't you can bet it will.

Also take a pair of casual shoes in my hand luggage, mainly though to remove weight in my main bag as some of the airlines have quite tight restrictions.

Mick

bourkie
(Member)
Hi Cindy , I have always packed something in my hand luggage my late husband insisted we did this. And boy was I glad that I still do this because when I went with JY to Canada 2008 my suitcase was lost for two days.

Lillie

nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Lillie

I have been on 1 tour where a ladies case was lost for a couple days we all rallied round and soted her some bits out..and my 1st tour the REPS bag went missing for about 4 day's so it does happen...one of my worst nightmares if I am honest..I am always so happy to see my case the other end..

Cindy

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
When I went to Jordan two suitcases did not turn up for nearly 4 days I think. Mind you, the cases that went missing were checked in for the whole trip from a regional airport. I have had to do this once when I went on a trip to Thailand, Singapore, Bali and Malaysia and believe me I did not relax till I saw my suitcase in Penang - checked in from Bali with a flight change in Kuala Lumpur! In future I think I too will make sure I have a change of clothing in my hand luggage.

Jaya

caroltemp
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

What is the dress code

This has been asked in the past, so thought I would just say a couple of thing's.

Smart Casual is the way to go I feel.

Layers work well as on a multi stop tours the climate can change.

Comfy shoes are a must as there is normaly an amount of walking somewhere on the tour to be done.

A fleece can come in very handy at times and it does not weigh that much in the case.

Pachmina type scarves work well to take the chill of the evening or the day, I also use them on the flight as sometimes the air con can get rather chilly.

I use travel size toiletries as most hotels do provide you with stuff.

Paper tissues

Hand wipes

Hand cleansing gel

Small first aid kit with the basics

In your hand luggage take a spare set of underwear and clean top and travel toothbrush and paste just in case your case goes missing. (mine never has on the 8 tours I have done but it has happened to others)

Photocopy your passport and travel insurance documents and LEAVE this information with someone you trust then IF they get lost you will be able to get this information I also travel with copies in a seperate place just in case.

If your taking your credit cards etc with you inform the bank or credit card people you are doing this to avoid them getting BLOCKED while you are away.

Cindy

wesspan
(Member)
Hi Cindy,

Thank you for the tips/ reminders, especially about hand luggage spares and photocopies.

It can be difficult to balance packing lightly with making sure you have clothes to cover most weather conditions. I would add that black bottoms (whether it's trousers or skirt) are a good idea as they can be dressed up for certain places.

Also, multi-use products e.g. Vaseline, body/face/hand creams (Nivea do a good one) are space-savers and small sizes can go in hand luggage to be used during the flight. Does anyone else take the unused toiletries provided by the hotel for their next trip? (Or is that just not polite?)

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Wesspan

I only take the products from the hotel if I like them. Don't feel guilty about it as you have paid for them....

Sylvia

nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Wesson,

I do take the products as I can recycle them, if I can I send them to a child I sponsor in India, or I make them up into little bundles for raffle prizes, or I donate them to the food bank, they are not things that are requested but they do put them on the table for people just to take, and I do know they are appreciated.

I personally can only use certain products on me due to a skin problem, so I just share things around.

As Sylvia says do NOT feel guilty. I don't.

SarahS
(Member)
I decant toiletries into small bottles. (Primark do a good set for £1). For daytime I wear layers appropriate for the climate. Nothing that is likely to crease gets into my suitcase! For evenings, I take mix and match trousers skirts and tops that I can dress up or down. I find most people like to dress up a bit more for welcome and farewell meals. I always leave my good jewellery safely at home. When you're moving around its very easy to leave a treasured piece behind. On my first couple of solo holidays I worried about dress codes, but I soon realised it's not worth stressing out over. Clean tidy and comfortable is fine for all but the most formal occasions.
Mick W
(Member)
'SylviaJ' wrote:

Hi Wesspan

I only take the products from the hotel if I like them. Don't feel guilty about it as you have paid for them....

Sylvia

Me too, got a lovely wide screen tv on my last trip :angel:

Only joking of course, agree with Sylvia if you like them the small packets are handy in your travel bag, supplements your own.

Mick

nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
MICK

That comment made me laugh!!!....mind you on some tours the beds have been huge and comfy what's the chances of getting one of them home as a free be...

Cindy

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Agree with all the comments here. I learnt never to pack a washbag except for toothbrush, paste and deodorant as the hotels supply everything else. Mind you I do come back with a lot of freebies :P

Mum lost her case for 3 days, went to Berlin instead of Malta. She had broken her wrist earlier that morning so was given some money for T-shirts and pair of shorts till her case turned up :(

Last year at New Orleans I had to take out some weight from my case along with another person. The man on the desk was going to put their security tags to Frankfurt instead of Heathrow on my case. Luckily I heard first !!!!!!!

Shall be going by Eurostar for the Flanders trip next month. Already worrying about which suitcase to take and what clothes to wear :thumbup:

Jan

nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Jan

I did notice in the paper work from JY that came through the other day to pack light.

I am used to long hectic tours so I only have 1 huge case on wheels etc, so no way can I trudge along with that for a few days away, so I am reduced to a hold-all so will be travelling light, but to be honest we are only away for a couple days and I don't do dressing up for evenings etc I just hope and pray there's a hairdryer in the room, there should be as I don't want to lug that around..

See you soon, please wave to us from your POSH seat!

JustMargaret
(Member)
'janib' wrote:

Agree with all the comments here. I learnt never to pack a washbag except for toothbrush, paste and deodorant as the hotels supply everything else. Mind you I do come back with a lot of freebies :P

Mum lost her case for 3 days, went to Berlin instead of Malta. She had broken her wrist earlier that morning so was given some money for T-shirts and pair of shorts till her case turned up :(

Last year at New Orleans I had to take out some weight from my case along with another person. The man on the desk was going to put their security tags to Frankfurt instead of Heathrow on my case. Luckily I heard first !!!!!!!

Shall be going by Eurostar for the Flanders trip next month. Already worrying about which suitcase to take and what clothes to wear :thumbup:

Jan

Oops, I just read you had to take "another person" out of your suitcase!!!