mikew
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I’ve just returned from the magnificent, majestic Rocky Mountains and thought that I would share my experiences of this fabulous JY tour with the community. The immense scale of the Canadian Rockies cannot be underestimated, and to visit at this time of year, to see them in their winter coat of white, only serves to accentuate their breathtaking beauty. The weather was glorious with sunny skies almost every day and temperatures ranging from -3deg in Jasper to -34deg in Banff and -14deg at Lake Louise.

I’ll now say a few words about each of the 3 locations in which we were based...and I’ll start where it all began in Banff.

Banff is a beautiful town with its main street, Banff Avenue, framed by Cascade Mountain at one end and Sulphur Mountain at the other. Our hotel, the Elk+ Avenue had very comfortable, spacious rooms, served a great breakfast and was in a good location on Banff Avenue, within walking distance of the many restaurants, bars and shops. Highlights here included visits to the Bow River Falls, Banff Hot Springs, and our horse-drawn sleigh ride. On days 2 and 3 you will have some free time here, so I thought that I would include my own ‘top tips’ for things to do.

Climb Tunnel Mountain (1690m) to say that you’ve scaled a Rockies Peak! It’s not nearly as difficult as it sounds, the trail is easy to follow and you get a great view on reaching the summit. It took me and another person from my group about 50minutes from the start of the trail which is located about 15minutes walk from the town centre.

Take a helicopter ride (£170 for 25minutes) for the ultimate Rockies experience.

Walk to the Banff Springs hotel, located just outside of the town centre and walk back to downtown along the Bow River Trail - simply beautiful.

On day 4 we moved on to the former railroad town of Jasper, and it’s beautiful national park. Our hotel, the Lobstick Lodge, was situated on the outskirts of town but was only a short 15 minute walk into the town centre and it’s shops, bars and restaurants. If you’d like to eat closer to the hotel, I can recommend the ‘Whisky Jack Grill’ - less than 5 minutes walk away. Highlights here included a visit to the frozen Pyramid Lake with spectacular views of Pyramid mountain and Mount Edith Cavel, the Athabasca River and a visit from an entire herd of elk outside our hotel entrance! The Maligne Canyon icewalk was also a great experience, led by expert guides throughout.

My ‘top tip’ in your free time here? Why not walk along to the local sports centre and watch an ice hockey game - it’s great fun!

Our final stay was at Lake Louise and it’s mighty Chateau. Nothing can prepare the first-time visitor for the majesty of this spectacular setting. Just when you think that the views can’t get any better...they do! Staying at the Chateau was a delight and a privilege, of course, but TM Patrick took us all for a walk across the frozen lake before eventually allowing us to turn and look back...to see the Chateau framed by the mountains in the background - a truly wonderful vista!

After 8 days, it’s fair to say no-one wanted to leave this magical land. My thanks go to TM Patrick Twomey, who led the group in his own inimitable style, to driver Mike, who drove us so safely and was a throughly nice guy as well, and also to my travelling companions who helped to make this tour so memorable. To Alison, Mike, the 2 Sharon’s, Alan, Olivia, Sandi, Barry and the rest...it was my greatest pleasure to travel with you.

Finally, I would like to quote the title of a book by Heather Reisman, written in 2017 to commerate the 150th anniversary of the creation of the Canadian state. ‘The World Needs More Canada’. Based on this experience, I could not agree more!

If you have any questions regarding this tour I’ll do my very best to answer them.

Mike

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon Mike,

I’m delighted to hear that you had a fabulous time on your trip to Canada to see the Rocky Mountains.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the wider Just You Community. I have forwarded your comments on to the wider team here at JYHQ.

Kindest regards,

Amy

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Mike

Thanks for leaving a great review, it’s one of the few tours I still have my eye on. Glad you had a great tour..

Cindy

turnke
(Member)
Patrick Twomey is a great TM,I had him in May 2015,on the Travelsphere San Francisco to Vancouver Tour

Keith

1981Kedi
(Member)
Thanks for this super review Mike. 

I was in the Rockies in September and loved Banff and Jasper and the National Parks - we even had snow one day and managed a game of snowballs on top of a mountain! I have looked at the Winter Spectacular holiday several times but was not sure if it was value for money - it's quite short - perhaps another couple of days or so? However a couple of people I met on other holidays recently recommended it and how I wish I had taken it up this January! 

Interesting what you remember from your holidays - I had the most magnificent chocolate eclair in the cafe at Lake Louise! - would love to have stayed in the chateau. We saw the lake in mist and snow and the following day in sunshine - what an adventure to walk on the frozen lake.

There is so much to do in Banff and Jasper - we didn't manage our hoped for helicopter ride so that would be another reason to revisit, lots of outdoor activities - love the idea of a horse drawn sleigh, lots of cafes in Banff, lots of outdoor wear shops - didn't really get a chance to explore Jasper before -  think I am convincing myself!

AbbaDave
(Member)
wow Mike

what a great review, my appetite has been wetted even more by this wonderful review and I am ever more serious about doing this trip as soon as I can fit it in

many Regards

Dave

Dina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mike

Fantastic review, it brought back great memories of the Rockies for me although I have never been there in the winter. 

I do think that you were lucky with the weather and were able to get around and as for climbing a mountain, wonderful.

I haven't seen an Alaska trip advertised again, but when that tour is up and running again I bet it won't have Katmai as a destination, as it's quite remote. To see the bears feeding on the salmon there on the TV programme with Liz Bonnin was super.(Can't remember which programme it was, probably an autumn watch live). I think that you mentioned Katmai.

Kind regards

Di

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for this superb review of what was obviously a wonderful tour!  I hope to do it sometime over the next few years, but will probably do a summer Rockies trip first (most likely with Travelsphere).  You were lucky to have Patrick Twomey again as your tour manager, touring in his own back yard!  I'm sure he gave you lots of tips and info to make the most of your free time.

Best wishes,

Bob

mikew
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Oops! In my list of thanks, I forgot to mention Jane, Debbie and Catherine...sorry ladies, you were great too!

An apologetic Mike!

mikew
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Many thanks, everyone, for all your kind comments.

As for Alaska Di, with the US Goverment looking as if they may go into ‘lockdown’, I won’t be pursuing this option even if or when it does appear, because both Denali and Katmai National Parks will almost certainly be closed. And you’re right - I did ask if JY’s new itinerary could include both National Parks.

The TV program you’re thinking about with Liz Bonnin was ‘Alaska Live’.

Cheers

Mike

Julie White
(Member)
Wonderful review Mike,

I am really pleased you enjoyed your trip. The views must of been spectacular especially on Lake Louise.

I will have to put this tour on my ever expanding list.

Regards Julie

Dina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Mike

Yes, now you have reminded me it was Alaska Live. I did the Ultimate White Pass 

Railway and Yukon trip when I was on an Alaskan cruise and would love to go to Denali

and Katmai at some stage but it wont be in the near future for  me either. MR Trump is 

putting me off going to the USA anyway.

All the best

Di

Dina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Mike

Yes, now you have reminded me it was Alaska Live. I did the Ultimate White Pass 

Railway and Yukon trip when I was on an Alaskan cruise and would love to go to Denali

and Katmai at some stage but it wont be in the near future for  me either. MR Trump is 

putting me off going to the USA anyway.

All the best

Di

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Great review Mike, Apart from the Rocky Mountaineer, Canada has never been high on my list. I may have to reconsider!!
SylviaJ
(Member)
Hello Mike

I'm pleased you selected this holiday following my review of last year's trip. I enjoyed reading your review and have been reliving my own experiences!

Happy travels

Sylvia

MaryDee
(Member)
Leaving tomorrow .... now even more excited! Thanks .... have printed off your suggestions. 🙂
mikew
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi MaryDee,

Have a great time; I’d love to be there with you. Say Hi to TM Patrick for me - he was my TM in Chile as well so he’ll remember me.

Have a safe journey.

Mike

Teresamh65
(Member)
Hi Mike

Thank you for posting this review. I have booked to do this trip next February (2019) and was really looking forward: even more so now I’ve read your review. I did the Rockies trip last September (including the Rocky Mountaineer) and absolutely loved it and would certainly recommend it to anybody thinking of visiting this beautiful country. I am looking forward to seeing Banff, Jasper and Lake Louise with their winter coats on.

Lockwdg
(Member)
'Teresamh65' wrote:

Hi Mike

Thank you for posting this review. I have booked to do this trip next February (2019) and was really looking forward: even more so now I’ve read your review. I did the Rockies trip last September (including the Rocky Mountaineer) and absolutely loved it and would certainly recommend it to anybody thinking of visiting this beautiful country. I am looking forward to seeing Banff, Jasper and Lake Louise with their winter coats on.

Hello Teresamh65. I’ve also booked this tour for Feb 2019. Very excited. There are some excellent reviews.