DollyB2019
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello I wondered if there is anyone on here who is going on this holiday.  This is the first of this sort of holiday I have been on and the first with Just You.
AbbaDave
(Member)
Well Hello Dolly 

I'm going on this holiday really looking forward to it, you have chosen a super tour with a super company it'll be truly spectacular but wrap up

Dave

DollyB2019
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'AbbaDave' wrote:

Well Hello Dolly 

I'm going on this holiday really looking forward to it, you have chosen a super tour with a super company it'll be truly spectacular but wrap up

Dave

Thank you for your reply.  It’s the clothing I’m having an issue with as what type of clothing to take. Waterproof and or fleece?  Are over trousers needed like you would wear if skiing?

Alison (Dolly)

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Alison ( Dolly)

I went on the  Norway Huskies and Northern Lights trip in February of this year and I expect the winter rockies to be similar temperature and snow wise, I took a good warm coat with a fleece lined hood, a hat to cover your ears, gloves or mittens and good non slip shoes ir boots and some ice grips though don't think these are essential, in Norway on the last day I packed them away but fell over on the slippery paths twice,  also I took some thermals and basically a warm jumper and layer up

Hope this helps anything else give me a nudge 

Regards

Dave

SylviaJ
(Member)
'DollyB2019' wrote:

'AbbaDave' wrote:

Well Hello Dolly 

Dave

Thank you for your reply.  It’s the clothing I’m having an issue with as what type of clothing to take. Waterproof and or fleece?  Are over trousers needed like you would wear if skiing?

Alison (Dolly)

Hi Alison

I did this trip in January 2017.  See posts in the Review section from myself and mikew (2018).

You can expect temperatures of around the minus double figures (we had -29C and -19C).

You'll want to take thermals, insulated coat and boots, hat and scarf, double layers in socks and gloves too.

Layering is ideal as you can unpeel on entering coach, buildings etc.

It's a wonderful trip, so have a great time and wrap up warm!

Regards

Sylvia

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Alison,

I did this tour back in Jan 2018 and you will love it. In terms of clothing I would pack thermal vests and ‘long johns’ in addition to trousers, thick jumpers and a good quality jacket with, if possible, a fur lined hood. Add to that, mittens and a woolly hat plus a pair of ice grips to put on over a pair of hiking boots. Temperatures when I was there varied from just below freezing in Jasper to -14C in Lake Louise and -29C in Banff. Although it’s a dry cold in the Rockies, and not the awful damp cold we get in the UK which seems to seep through one’s clothing, a simple fleece won’t be sufficient. Wrap up warm and you’ll be just fine. The scenery is awe-inspiring and the chateau at Lake Louise is simply beautiful. This is one tour that I could do again...and again!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mike

PeterG
(Member)
Hi Alison

You need to take clothing that you can use as layers. I did this trip in February last year and the temperature was generally about -8 to -10C, except the morning we left Jasper when it was -35C. Apart from the Jasper morning it never felt bitterly cold, probably due to low humidity lack of wind.

If you have a down jacket take that to wear over a couple of layers (shirt /sweater and maybe thermal layer), otherwise definitely a fleece. I also had lined trousers which kept my legs warm - I took long johns as well but found I was too warm with them on. I took a waterproof, mainly as a windproof but didn't actually use it.

It is also worth getting some ice grippers for your boots - you may not need them but it does make you feel safer walking around where the ice and snow hasn't been cleared. Several people on my trip bought them in Banff.

Peter

LOUISE.
(Member)
Hi all. I am also going on this trip in January. Really looking forward to it. I have been on 2 other trips with Just You. Thanks for the advice on clothing etc. I’ll probably take a pair of ski trousers for the ice canyon walk. Also walking trousers and long johns and thermal long sleeve tops and fleeces. Louise.
AbbaDave
(Member)
'LOUISE.' wrote:

Hi all. I am also going on this trip in January. Really looking forward to it. I have been on 2 other trips with Just You. Thanks for the advice on clothing etc. I’ll probably take a pair of ski trousers for the ice canyon walk. Also walking trousers and long johns and thermal long sleeve tops and fleeces. Louise.

Hi Louise

This is going to be a wonderful trip, I bought some thermals boots ice grips and a good warm coat for Norway back in February did the job and we have a great TM in Patrick 

Really looking forward to it see you in the lounge at Heathrow if not at check in

Regards

Dave