cate52a
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Have just returned from Jordan (Sept 12-19) and thought I’d write a quick review.

There were 9 of us so only a small group.

My highlights were the dead sea where I lost both my sunglasses and my dignity as rather difficult getting in and out of the sea.

Petra was everything and more than I thought possible. Such a special day and 5 of us climbed the monastery. Also attended the Petra by night which got mixed reviews. A very simple ceremony to which some people thought it was too simple. It’s one of the most exhausting and exhilarating days on the trip

Wadi Rum was lovely and lunch was very enjoyable and a nice stop before reaching our last destination – Aqaba – the resort was spectacular as were the sunsets and the temperature reached 40 degrees so a bit hot for some. My downtime was spent swimming and going on a submarine looking at the flora, sea life and the odd scuba diver.

Drinks and gifts quite expensive, food is plentiful and a good variety and very tasty.

I cannot recommend this trip highly enough and was sad to see a lot of empty hotel rooms and Petra was relatively quiet for the time of year.

A special thanks to our Just You Guide who was very enthusiastic and her love for the place and its people shone through. Elias(?) our local guide was warm, knowledgeable and very funny.

Please, please, please, think of going on this trip as they need tourists and it's a save and wonderful country to visit.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cate

Jordan was my first Just You trip in September 2009 and I agree with everything you have said. Aqaba was not on offer then, but we did have an option of the Dead Sea Marriott add-on, which I did. We also did not do Petra by night. This is an amazing trip and I felt very safe in Jordan. The food is lovely and so too are the people. I sincerely hope that more people will be brave to visit this country. There is a lot to see.

Jaya

Kezzer46
(Member)
Thanks Cate52a for your review. Jordan is on my list of places to visit and it sounds like you had an amazing time.

Kezzer

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
This was my first Just You trip in 2010, we also saw Sinai and Cairo. Loved Jordan and your review was brilliant. Petra was during the day only, my first camel ride 🙂 Mount Nebo had a heat haze so could not see the Golden Dome at Jerusalem. I paddled in the Dead Sea- not brave enough to go swimming :P

Loved Jerash and Wadi Rum. Aqaba was disappointing as I looked after a lady with a head injury ( I am a nurse) and then found out that some had hired a glass bottom boat and looked at the coral reef :dodgy: I would have loved to have seen that.

Jan

sue dobbs
(Member)
Hi Cate, it was a wonderful holiday! Petra was everything and more! I definately recommend this trip.Jordan felt perfectly safe,more so than a lot of cities I've visited! Thanks for your company and amazing humour! It was a lovely group and good fun,amazing place with so much to see! So glad I went,will stay with me for a long time. Please go people,they really need tourists and are lovely and friendly!
sue dobbs
(Member)
Hi Cate,It was a wonderful holiday! I really enjoyed it,Petra was over and above expectations,absolutely amazing! Jordan has so much more than you can imagine,so many amazing sights! Loved it I recommend this trip to everyone,you won't be disappointed!Lovely friendly people,you just have to go!!
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cate and Sue,

I did this tour in November last year and agree with all that you have said. Their tourist industry is really suffering at the moment, but I felt very safe there and it is a wonderful country to visit. There are no 2016 dates either in the brochure or on the website at present although I do remember Monty or Julia saying it is being tweaked for next year, so perhaps it is going to appear in the full January brochure either for later in 2016 or 2017. Highly recommended!

Best wishes,

Bob

inkratlet
(Member)
I was also on this trip 🙂 Agree with everything Cate and Sue have said.

It was my first of hopefully many JY holidays and a wonderful experience.

Laura

RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
What a shame that Jordan's tourist industry has been hit so badly. Your review should definitely encourage others to make a decision to go.
Princi
(Member)
'cate52a' wrote:

Have just returned from Jordan (Sept 12-19) and thought I’d write a quick review.

My highlights were the dead sea where I lost both my sunglasses and my dignity as rather difficult getting in and out of the sea.

Petra was everything and more than I thought possible. Such a special day and 5 of us climbed the monastery. Also attended the Petra by night which got mixed reviews. A very simple ceremony to which some people thought it was too simple. It’s one of the most exhausting and exhilarating days on the trip

Wadi Rum was lovely and lunch was very enjoyable and a nice stop before reaching our last destination – Aqaba – the resort was spectacular as were the sunsets and the temperature reached 40 degrees so a bit hot for some. My downtime was spent swimming and going on a submarine looking at the flora, sea life and the odd scuba diver.

Drinks and gifts quite expensive, food is plentiful and a good variety and very tasty.

I cannot recommend this trip highly enough and was sad to see a lot of empty hotel rooms and Petra was relatively quiet for the time of year.

A special thanks to our Just You Guide who was very enthusiastic and her love for the place and its people shone through. Elias(?) our local guide was warm, knowledgeable and very funny.

Please, please, please, think of going on this trip as they need tourists and it's a save and wonderful country to visit.

Cate

Thank your for the review, can I ask was the climb up the monastery difficult?

I'm trying to picture it in my minds eye, is it steps or a hill?

Alex

inkratlet
(Member)
'Princi' wrote:

'cate52a' wrote:

Cate

Thank your for the review, can I ask was the climb up the monastery difficult?

I'm trying to picture it in my minds eye, is it steps or a hill?

Alex

It is steps, about 800 of them. It was hard in the heat but absolutely worth it