turnke
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
After a good flight, immigration was a bit chaotic, and took about an hour to clear.

The tour manager, Patrick Twomey, and Michael, our driver up to Seattle, were waiting for us, and quickly had us at the hotel. The Hotel Zephyr is very close to Fisherman's Wharf, the room was very good, apart from the length of the hair dryer lead, everybody had a tale about trying to use it. The hotel is being renovated so reception was very small and only one lift working, but generally, not a problem.

The second morning, we had a very good city tour, covering Market Street, Chinatown and the Presidio. The first stop was Twin Peaks, for an overview of the city, before a brief tour of Golden Gate Park. The second stop was at the south end of the Golden Gate Bridge, where it is possible to walk on to the Bridge. We drove back through the former army base, The Presidio, which despite being a National Park, has homes, offices and a Walt Disney museum. In the afternoon, there was an optional cruise around the Bay. I took the cable car from Hyde Street to Union Square, and returned by Streetcar from Market Street, as the cable car was very busy. One day transit passes are available from Walgreens, two blocks from the hotel.

In the evening, there was a champagne reception, at the end of Pier 39, overlooking Alcatraz and the Bay. There was an optional meal at a fish restaurant, although other options were available.

The following day, we set off over the Golden Gate Bridge north towards Eureka, following Route 101. After driving through Marin and Sonoma counties, we had a break at Healdsburg, a pleasant little town with a variety of shops and cafes.

In the afternoon, we drove north stopping at One Tree House, where as the name implies, the house was carved out of one tree. There are other carvings of bears and a cougar.

Back on the road, we had a stop in a redwood forest, for a brief walk to the Founders Tree, several trees nearby were big enough to walk inside. Overnight was at motel, on the outskirts of Eureka, a small former fishing village.

Friday morning took us to the Carson House, a Victorian mansion, for a photo opportunity, before entering the Redwood National Park. We stopped twice, for short walks, once on Big Tree Trail, and the other time for a view of the rugged coast. Lunch was at Crescent City, and after entering Oregon, we had a wine tasting near Cave Junction. Overnight was at Rogue River, a few minutes from Grant's Pass.

The next morning, we took a two hour drive to Crater Lake, only half the loop drive was open, as it had snowed the day before. It was a bit grey, and further up, the lake was not visible, but, the trees looked attractive in the snow. We returned to the Park Lodge for a very funny talk from a Park Ranger, and, during that, the skies cleared, allowing us to see the lake in all its glory. On the way back, a few of us went into Grant's Pass for an hour or so.

Sunday morning saw us back on the coast, stopping to look at the height of the sand dunes, and getting caught in a parade, in Florence. We followed the coast to Newport, a small fishing village, where we had a crabbing demonstration, on a smaller version of Pier 39 complete with sea lions. On the way to the hotel, we stopped to take photos of a lighthouse.

The Elizabeth Inn is perched above a wide beach, each room had a sea view, a log fire and ceiling fan. There was a beer and wine tasting, before toasting marshmallows on the beach. When we returned there were freshly booked cookies in reception. (There was clam chowder at 5 pm there)

On Monday, we continued north to Cape Kiwanda, a small town where Dory boats still fish from. Dramatic scenery and the pub was open at 9.30.

More dramatic scenery at Cape Lookout, and again at the Cape Meares lighthouse where there is an Octopus tree. The coach surprised a wandering coyote, before it rushed into the trees. Lunch was at Tillamook,at a cheese factory which has tours, shops and a café.

We arrived in Portland about 4 pm, and had a short city tour before reaching the hotel. Near the hotel, was the Lloyd Center, a shopping mall with an ice rink and a few eating places.

Tuesday, an optional trip to the Columbia Gorge. We entered the Gorge through Troutdale, the first two stops were Women's Forum State Park and Vista House, where there was a visitors center, but it was too misty to see much. As we headed down to Multnomah Falls, the sky brightened, the Falls were spectacular, and had a couple of walking trails. The weather improved as we went to the Bonneville Dam, one of 8 dams on the Columbia River, in the USA, there are more in Canada. An enterprising seal found an easy meal at a nearby fish farm.

After lunch at Hood River, we headed for Mount Hood, which glistened in the sunshine,but, by the time we reached it, it was covered by mist and raining heavily.

On the Wednesday, we crossed into Washington, and stopped at Mount St. Helens Visitor Center, where there were models and a film, about the eruption, the 35th anniversary was two days earlier. Again, the volcano was covered in mist.

After a stop at Olympia, the state capitol, we arrived at Pike's Market, in Seattle, for lunch, there are lots of stalls, both food and souvenirs, in the Market. Close by were the original Starbucks, Hard Rock Café and Target. Later we drove around Elliott Bay, to Salties, for a view of Seattle's skyline.

As a result of a fire, we were delayed enough to be caught in the rush hour, so it took an hour to get to Lynnwood, and our hotel. The hotel provides a free dinner Monday to Friday, and there is a big mall within walking distance. Every room was a suite, big enough to throw a party in.

Thursday was a free day, the bus to take us downtown was delayed by an hour, those who wanted the Space Needle were dropped there, and the rest dropped at the Klondike National Historic Park, which details the story of the Klondike Gold Rush in Canada's Yukon. Those who went to the Klondike NHP walked to the Sky Line, in the Columbia Tower, for a view over the city, only $9 for over 55s.

In the afternoon, there was an hour long cruise around Elliott Bay, seeing the skyline from the water.

On Friday, we crossed the border into Canada, and after dropping the luggage, there was a city tour. We had a couple of stops in Stanley Park, the first was at the totem poles, and the second at Prospect Point, where we saw the Lion's Gate Bridge, and a friendly raccoon posed for photos.

There was an optional trip to Capillano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain, on the Saturday, about half the group went as the rest had been there previously.

I met up with cousins and went to several other attractions:-

The Aquarium in Stanley Park is very good, including exhibits on British Columbia's coast and an Amazon rainforest.

Victoria, British Columbia's capital, can be reached by bus and ferry. I went to the Royal BC Museum, others took the hop on, hop off bus tour.

For shopping, Robson is the main street, and Gas Town for souvenirs, nearby is the RCMP store.

If you are not totem poled out, a bus from the hotel goes to the University of British Columbia's Anthropology Museum shows a variety of carvings.

Overall, this was a great tour, plenty of wildlife to see, eagles and other birds of prey, deer, elk, squirrels, a coyote, a raccoon and sea lions. Although this was a Travelsphere tour, there were 8 singles and 7 couples, and everybody got on well. About a third stayed on for the extra 2 nights. Patrick was a very good tour manager, had lots of suggestions, and if there was something anybody wanted to see, did his best to accommodate their request.

The only disappointment I had, was that when I queried the Seattle hotel change, with Travelsphere, I was told that the new hotel was just over a mile from the previous hotel, when I had told them that it was over an hour away from downtown by public transit. Having been there, I can understand why the hotel was at Lynnwood, but, I feel that Travelsphere should have been more honest.

Keith

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Keith,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your recent Travelsphere holiday. I have passed all of your comments on to the wider Just You team to review.

Kindest regards,

Julia

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Keith

great review I last went to San Francisco when I was about 11 so many years ago now, still have fond memories of my time there.

Cindy

Andrewe
(Member)
Hi Keith I am doing this tour later this year I would have liked more time in San Fran tho. Would you be able to tell me how many stops you make on the San Fran morning tour do you stop at the painted ladies, coit tower and Lombard street. You mention it stops on Golden Gate Bridge is there enough time to walk a little bit along the bridge say a 5-10 min walk and back. Thanks Andrew
turnke
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Andrewe' wrote:

Hi Keith I am doing this tour later this year I would have liked more time in San Fran tho. Would you be able to tell me how many stops you make on the San Fran morning tour do you stop at the painted ladies, coit tower and Lombard street. You mention it stops on Golden Gate Bridge is there enough time to walk a little bit along the bridge say a 5-10 min walk and back. Thanks Andrew

Hi Andrew

We only had 2 stops on the tour,Twin Peaks which is above the downtown, and gives a view over the city and the Bay, and the South end of the Golden Gate Bridge. At the Bridge,you should have enough time to climb to the pedestrian walkway on the Bridge,we were there for at least 30 minutes.

Lombard Street was only a photo op from the coach looking up the street.The Hyde Street cable car stops at the top, and that is about 4 blocks from the hotel,you should see it on the tour.Tickets are available at the terminus,or a day ticket can be bought at Walgreens,about halfway to the cable car terminus.If you decide to take the cable car,go as early as you can as others said it was busy later.

Keith

Andrewe
(Member)
Thanks Keith it's a shame we don't get much time at San Fran on this tour we just been told I'll hotel has been moved to Hilton by the bay bridge which is a bit of a nuisance. What time did you reach your hotel in lynnwood at Seattle as I was led to believe when we booked ours we were only a short walk away from the space needle. We were planning on going there for dinner for my mums birthday on the first night but we would need to get a taxi there as I believe we are 30 mins away from Seattle.
turnke
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Andrewe' wrote:

Thanks Keith it's a shame we don't get much time at San Fran on this tour we just been told I'll hotel has been moved to Hilton by the bay bridge which is a bit of a nuisance. What time did you reach your hotel in lynnwood at Seattle as I was led to believe when we booked ours we were only a short walk away from the space needle. We were planning on going there for dinner for my mums birthday on the first night but we would need to get a taxi there as I believe we are 30 mins away from Seattle.

Hi Andrewe

Traffic around Seattle is worse than the M25 at rush hour,presumably why the hotel was moved there.We got caught going to the hotel as there was a fire in downtown,near the sports stadiums and we were delayed in getting to Salties,on the far side of Elliott Bay,for a drink and view of Seattle's skyline.we probably got to the hotel about 6:45 as a result.During the week the hotel supplies a free evening meal,no choice,I was lucky,I liked both of them.Rooms are suites,my flat could fit inside mine.There is a big mall within walking distance,my Canadian cousin uses it.

Regarding getting to the Space Needle,I did not try it but,looking at the public transit website,it was about an hour,with a change of bus to get downtown.

Originally,I was not going to do the cruise,but,finding out where the hotel was,I did book it.The original bus to take us downtown broke down so we were about an hour late in leaving the hotel.The traffic was much better at that time,those who wanted to go to the Space Needle,were dropped there,the rest of us were dropped at Pioneer Square as we went to the Klondike NHP.After that we walked to the Skyline,which is another high vantage point,and looked down on the Space Needle,at the north end of the city.We then walked to the harbour for the cruise.

Be warned,The streets,going away from the harbour,are very steep with the avenues acting like plateaus,almost as bad going down as up.Having said that,there is too much to see in one day.Before we went to Salties,we had a couple of hours in the Pike's Market area when we arrived the day before.

I hope this helps,let me know if I can give you any more info.

Keith

Andrewe
(Member)
Thanks for the info it helps a lot what time was you scheduled in the morning to get dropped of at pioneer square of the bus didn't break down? I'm going to book a trip online to the snoqualmie falls and Fremont street in the morning so we would need to be at pike place market for 9.45 And then visiting the needle In the afternoon. I don't mind getting a taxi down to their if the bus is no good.

As we prob won't check it at hotel till likely 6pm we will go to the mall.

Thanks Andrew

turnke
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Andrewe' wrote:

Thanks for the info it helps a lot what time was you scheduled in the morning to get dropped of at pioneer square of the bus didn't break down? I'm going to book a trip online to the snoqualmie falls and Fremont street in the morning so we would need to be at pike place market for 9.45 And then visiting the needle In the afternoon. I don't mind getting a taxi down to their if the bus is no good.

As we prob won't check it at hotel till likely 6pm we will go to the mall.

Thanks Andrew

Hi Andrewe

I cannot remember when the bus was due,but,I don't think it was due to leave before 9am,owing to the traffic.When the replacement arrived,the driver had local knowledge and got us to the Space Needle fairly quickly,I guess around 10:30.the bus went to Pioneer Square via the harbour,which was probably the quickest way,to show us where we picked up the boat,and later the bus back to the hotel.We left straight after the boat trip,probably back at the hotel around 6pm.

I subscribed to Patrick Twomey's blog,and he has been back to Seattle/Portland, the weather was better,he has clearer pictures of the mountains than we were able to get.Hopefully,you will get some good views in both places.Evenn though we did not see Mount St.Helens,the Visitor Center was worth visiting.

Keith