Mel P
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Dear all

I did write a review last week but I think it got lost somewhere when I was previwing the post! Anyway here goes.

I have just got back from Calabria. What a wonderful unspoiled and undiscovered part of Italy it is. From hill top villages and towns with labrinthine streets to spectacular mountain and valley views.

The hotel is unique and is situated on a cliff top. The waiters are very attentive and the food good. Warning the starters are huge and are a meal in themselves. Breakfast was mainly continental with fruits from the hotel's estate.

There is an amazing lift - a feat of ingenuity that takes you to the beach. I didnt swim as I have dodgy knees and it looked quite rocky. I spent my time around the pool.

The tour is a good mix with trips in the morning and free time in the afternoons. The longest day was 8.30 to 6 p.m. I would suggest doing all the trips not only because they are included but the hotel is quite isolated.

We had an excellent tour guide in Sarah Wrightson who was very knowledgable.

There were a trio of women on the tour who did it last year and then returned this year. One of the women visited independently. I met up with another lady who visited the area with Travelsphere and has been returning annually for four years on her own. This gives you an idea of the area and what the hotel is like.

There are a lot of slopes and steep steps to negotiate so you need to be mobile.

I know that several of you will be going later this year. You have picked a good tour. The area is yet to be discovered and because of that it is a "hidden gem". I know that they need the money but being selfish I hope that this part of Italy will remain unspoiled.

Best wishes.

Melanie.

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for the lovely review Mel - it sounds a gem of a place, I'm really looking forward to it.
marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mel P,

So glad you had an amazing time!

Mark

kaitakflier
(Member)
Melanie

Thank you,

Your comprehensive review has helped to make up my mind as to which Italian tour to take this autumn

Calabria wins.

Peter

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Melanie

Thanks for the review. I am looking forward to visiting Calabria end of August.

Jaya

janeyalan
(Member)
'Mel wrote:

Dear all

I did write a review last week but I think it got lost somewhere when I was previwing the post! Anyway here goes.

I have just got back from Calabria. What a wonderful unspoiled and undiscovered part of Italy it is. From hill top villages and towns with labrinthine streets to spectacular mountain and valley views.

The hotel is unique and is situated on a cliff top. The waiters are very attentive and the food good. Warning the starters are huge and are a meal in themselves. Breakfast was mainly continental with fruits from the hotel's estate.

There is an amazing lift - a feat of ingenuity that takes you to the beach. I didnt swim as I have dodgy knees and it looked quite rocky. I spent my time around the pool.

The tour is a good mix with trips in the morning and free time in the afternoons. The longest day was 8.30 to 6 p.m. I would suggest doing all the trips not only because they are included but the hotel is quite isolated.

We had an excellent tour guide in Sarah Wrightson who was very knowledgable.

There were a trio of women on the tour who did it last year and then returned this year. One of the women visited independently. I met up with another lady who visited the area with Travelsphere and has been returning annually for four years on her own. This gives you an idea of the area and what the hotel is like.

There are a lot of slopes and steep steps to negotiate so you need to be mobile.

I know that several of you will be going later this year. You have picked a good tour. The area is yet to be discovered and because of that it is a "hidden gem". I know that they need the money but being selfish I hope that this part of Italy will remain unspoiled.

Best wishes.

Melanie.

Thank you for a fantastic review, can't wait now for the 3rd of July to experience this trip myself

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
I must say the constant reviews of calabria are wetting my appetite. Sicily, Sorrento and the Riviera have been on my list for a long time however not knowing much about Calabria and this region has meant i have not really considered it.

Mark

Bosuncat
(Member)
I still want to do this one but reading about the steps and steep slopes at the hotel has put me off a bit. Also JY keep tempting me with other holidays:P