anniethenitnurse
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Cindy and everyone else!

At last I've got down to doing the review I promised of my recent holiday to New England and Canada in the Fall.

We flew into Boston on 26th September to lovely weather, after a very comfortable and pleasant flight. As usual, USA customs took a while to get through, but as we didn't have an ongoing flight to worry about, that was fine - and they are only doing there job, after all! Our tour manager, Gary Desimone, made sure we all got sorted out on our coach and off we went to our hotel which was a bit further out of Boston than I would have liked - the other hotel used by JY is in Midtown, but from what Gary said, we got the better hotel! Apart from the breakfasts, though! Gary ended up helping to make the toast, tea/coffee etc, as the staff just didn't seem to get things going, especially on our last morning when we really had to be away sharpish. The other hotel doesn't "do" breakfast, but to be honest, we might have been better going out for brekkie to the little mall next door to our hotel that have what we had! The local tour guide in Boston was really good and took us to all the fascinating areas, including Harvard, which has some truly lovely buildings. We spent part of the aftenoon wandering throught Quincy Market and went back there at night for dinner, which was very enjoyable. We had a tour out to Cape Cod and the weather was brilliant - walking along the beach in bare feet says it all! We passed through some lovely little villages on the way there and the scenery was simply out of this world - the colours certainly lived up to their name!. We spent some time in Plymouth on the way to Chatham, and saw where the Quakers etc landed.

We also went to a fish restaurant near the waterfront - Jimmy No Names - and if you go there you would only need to have one meal between 2 (you might even get away with 3 as the portions were huge!)

We moved on into New Hampshire and travelled through the gorgeous mountain areas with many stops to take photographs and have little comfort breaks etc. The hotel we stayed in on the Sunday night was at the Fox Ridge Mountain Resort and it was beautiful! We also had a lovely Sunday dinner with "normal" sized portions and not a burger in sight! On the Monday morning we left to move into Vermont and again the journey there was really lovely. Sadly, though, we lost our tour driver as he had to go home due a family bereavement (David) and we got a new driver called Rodney who could only do the one day with us as he couldn't go into Canada with us. Again, the mountain scenery had to be seen to be believed! We had a visit to a Maple farm and that was really funny - the guy who owned it was hilarious! We stayed in an OK hotel in Vermont that night and moved on into Montreal next day. A very busy, vibrant city! The local tour guide was OK, but to be honest, Gary gave us more information about the place than I felt she did! We did a trip up into the Laurentian Mountains, and I can understand why it's called "God's country"! Outstanding scenery all the way there. We had a trip on the lake which took about an hour and the pilot was very informative re who owned what house etc! We then moved on to a superb buffet lunch in a beautiful country type hotel - eat as much as you like etc, and all very healthy food too! During our stay in Montreal, we also had a trip to Quebec - a beautiful city, by any means. The tour guide was excellent, in my opinion! As you would expect, there was a great "French" feel about the city, and it would have been nice to have been able to spend more time there. We moved on to Toronto via Ottawa and had a wander arount the St Laurence Market there and got into Toronto about 6ish in the evening. Time to go straight up the CN tower - it takes 58 seconds from bottom to top in the elevator! The views from there are brilliant as is the glass floor that you can jump up and down on! We had a guided tour around Toronto, and again the tour guide was very knowledgeable. The hotel there was central enough, but sadly I had to complain re the noise level from the room next door to me - there was apparently a girly night out going on! To be very fair to the management there, the party was stopped within 5 minutes of me phoning down to the desk - although from what I gather they simply moved to another room and carried on there! We moved on to Niagra Falls, but sadly the weather wasn't good enough for the helicopter ride over the falls, and due to the waiting times for the Maid of the Mist, we never got to do that - what we did get to do was a ride over part of the Niagra River in a cable car type of thing, and that was good. We moved on to Rochester for an overnight stay and the hotel there was fine, then it was onwards into New York City! We got into NYC about 4 in the afternoon and the hotel was lovely, with a basic breakfast, continental style (as most places seemed to be). We had a night time tour and that was good - Times Square was manic and fascinating! Sadly, theatres in NYC only do a matinee on a Sunday and most don't open on a Monday, so those of that wanted to, couldn't see a show whilst there. Ah well! We had another guided tour the following morning, taking in Central Park, Fifth Avenue etc - again the guides were very knowledgeable. The weather on the final Monday, in the afternoon, was the only real bad weather that we encountered, but 5 of us were still able to do the helicopter ride over NYC and also the Empire State Building - whilst up the Empire State Buidling, a storm came over the Hudson and I got some really good piccies of that! 4 of us had a ride in a yellow cab, and that to me was brilliant - I think I saw my life flashed before me on several occasions! On the last day, 4 of us got a cab down to Central Park (which was only a mile from the hotel, easily in walking distance or by tube) and we took the horse and carriage ride around the park - beware of the touts trying to sell you a ripped of tour! Stick to the official ones who are licensed! We extended our tour of the park to almost an hour and the weather was there to make it really enjoyable!

So, all in all, I can't fault the entire holiday - yes, some of the hotels could have been a bit better, but at the end of the day, we weren't really in them for long so it didn't matter too much!

On a personal, positive ending, I would like to say a huge thank you to Jenny and Jackie - they really did make a difference to my holiday and were 2 fantastic ladies who included me in everything! And last, but certainly not least, Gary the tour manager - a born and bred Bostonian who now lives in the UK! Gary, you were the best and you had a lot of trials to put up with which you sorted with no, or very little hassle, and were very informative throughout the whole trip. If anyoned gets him on a tour then they will be very lucky. So, thanks for making it a memorable tour Gary! It's very true, that the TM can make or break your holiday for you and he made ours!

If anyone is thinking of doing this tour, then go at the end of September if you can, as that seems to be the magical time for colours and weather.

I hope that this is of some use to you if you are going, but if there's anything you need or want to know, please don't hesitate to ask and I'll answer! Clothes wise, all you need is comfortable, casual clothes, and dress in layers to suit the changing temperatures throughout the day. The price of eating out was relatively cheap so you wouldn't need too much for that either. A hectic, but very enjoyable holiday, with masses of history in that region that applies to good old England (even although I'm a Scot, I still appreciated the connection!!!) and as I read a lot of books which seem to be associated with New England, to actually see the places was brilliant for me. I'll shut up now, honest!

Take care

Anne

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Anne,

I'm so pleased to hear that you have had a great holiday and I have shared this review with a number of colleagues so they can read your comments too.

One request has already come in - our social team are starting to post photo galleries on our Facebook page, if you have any photos that you would be happy for us to share and link to on the community please, please send them into us (community@justyou.co.uk).

Kindest regards,

Julia

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Anne

WOW what a review and I do thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed report back to us all. I have done a fair amount of this tour all read but I am SO more than happy to go over old ground. Spend a little more time like you taking a carriage ride etc, I am also doing the add in as I definitely want to take in a show or two! I did manage to see Beauty and the beast last time which was just great!!!..

One question what was the problem with the waiting time and the maid of the mist as this is one of the reasons I am re doing this to do this I will NOT be a happy if I cannot achieve this so I really would like to know more about that problem.

Thank since again

Sounds like I will have fun and see so much

Cindy

anniethenitnurse
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julia,

I'm a bit of a technophobe, but I'll get something sorted re the photos when my partner comes up next week and send them to you. Many thanks to JY for putting on this brilliant holiday of a lifetime!

Kind regards

Anne

DAFFIEGIRL
(Member)
Thank you for a very full review. This holiday is certainly on my wish list. The big decision is whether to forgo the chance to see autumn colour and travel in June, when the weather at the falls would be better, or see the colour and chance the weather at the falls....decisions decisions. You say the queue at the Maid of the mistwas too long for you to do the trip. Can any earlier travellers tells me if that happens regularly on this trip? For me it would be something not to miss.
Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Anne,

Thank you for that - I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures (when you get a chance of course).

Kindest regards,

Julia

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Anne, many thanks for this great review - it's on my wish list too!

Cheers,

Bob

anniethenitnurse
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Cindy,

The main problem was that we didn't get in the queue early enough, if I'm honest, and the initial weather didn't help matters. The queues were so long that they were running out of time and just as we were about to be put through, it closed! Gary said that next time he would make sure that Maid was done earlier, so if your TM does this then there should be no problem.

Take care

Anne

anniethenitnurse
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Daffiegirl,

If you see my reply to Cindy, which had the same question as you, then you have your answer - from a personal point of view, I am really pleased that I went when I did as it was all spectacular, but it's all down to preference. For the most part, the weather was mid 70's, so can't grumble about that!

Take care

Anne

anniethenitnurse
(Member) (Topic Starter)
No problem Bob - you would really enjoy it and the history of the whole area was fascinating.

Best wishes

Anne

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for getting back to me Anne, so I need to get behind the Manager and get them to get me sorted PRONTO..ha ha NO way can I miss out on doing the maid, I absolutley HATE water (a long story) but I will just have to be brave. Fingers crossed I get to see the COLOURS this time..

Cindy

lesley07
(Member)
'anniethenitnurse' wrote:

No problem Bob - you would really enjoy it and the history of the whole area was fascinating.

Best wishes

Anne

Hi Anne

Glad you had a great holiday. What a pity that you did not get to have a trip on the Maid of the Mist. We obviously got to Niagra earlier on our tour and queue was not so long. Your review really does reflect all the positives on this tour and I enjoyed reading it.

Lesley

anniethenitnurse
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Lesley,

Thanks for that - I hope your trip was as good as mine was and glad that you left some of the good weather for us! Would do it all again in a minute!

Take care

Anne

JackieH
(Member)
Hi Annie

Thanks for a great review! Didn't we have a wonderful time! I really enjoyed reading it and reliving our holiday. I will send you an email soon - I have had computer problems and have been off-line for ages!

Thanks for being such good company!

Best wishes - Jackie

Julie L
(Member)
Thanks for all that information and I'm glad you enjoyed the trip, where you off to next? if anyone else is going next Year to Canada & New England in the fall on September 17th from heathrow, myself and another lady I met on my first holiday with just you are meeting and staying over night in a hotel at the airport, to be booked nearer the time.

Julie L

Julie L
(Member)
I'm also going to canada in the fall in September 2014 is anyone else going, if so you might like to join me & a lady I met on my first just you holiday in June 2012, we are staying at a hotel at the airport overnight, x Julie L
Julie L
(Member)
Anyone interested in meeting at heathrow airport hotel for September holiday to canada ?
Julie L
(Member)
'anniethenitnurse' wrote:

Hi Cindy and everyone else!

At last I've got down to doing the review I promised of my recent holiday to New England and Canada in the Fall.

We flew into Boston on 26th September to lovely weather, after a very comfortable and pleasant flight. As usual, USA customs took a while to get through, but as we didn't have an ongoing flight to worry about, that was fine - and they are only doing there job, after all! Our tour manager, Gary Desimone, made sure we all got sorted out on our coach and off we went to ourdear hotel which was a bit further out of Boston than I would have liked - the other hotel used by JY is in Midtown, but from what Gary said, we got the better hotel! Apart from the breakfasts, though! Gary ended up helping to make the toast, tea/coffee etc, as the staff just didn't seem to get things going, especially on our last morning when we really had to be away sharpish. The other hotel doesn't "do" breakfast, but to be honest, we might have been better going out for brekkie to the little mall next door to our hotel that have what we had! The local tour guide in Boston was really good and took us to all the fascinating areas, including Harvard, which has some truly lovely buildings. We spent part of the aftenoon wandering throught Quincy Market and went back there at night for dinner, which was very enjoyable. We had a tour out to Cape Cod and the weather was brilliant - walking along the beach in bare feet says it all! We passed through some lovely little villages on the way there and the scenery was simply out of this world - the colours certainly lived up to their name!. We spent some time in Plymouth on the way to Chatham, and saw where the Quakers etc landed.

We also went to a fish restaurant near the waterfront - Jimmy No Names - and if you go there you would only need to have one meal between 2 (you might even get away with 3 as the portions were huge!)

We moved on into New Hampshire and travelled through the gorgeous mountain areas with many stops to take photographs and have little comfort breaks etc. The hotel we stayed in on the Sunday night was at the Fox Ridge Mountain Resort and it was beautiful! We also had a lovely Sunday dinner with "normal" sized portions and not a burger in sight! On the Monday morning we left to move into Vermont and again the journey there was really lovely. Sadly, though, we lost our tour driver as he had to go home due a family bereavement (David) and we got a new driver called Rodney who could only do the one day with us as he couldn't go into Canada with us. Again, the mountain scenery had to be seen to be believed! We had a visit to a Maple farm and that was really funny - the guy who owned it was hilarious! We stayed in an OK hotel in Vermont that night and moved on into Montreal next day. A very busy, vibrant city! The local tour guide was OK, but to be honest, Gary gave us more information about the place than I felt she did! We did a trip up into the Laurentian Mountains, and I can understand why it's called "God's country"! Outstanding scenery all the way there. We had a trip on the lake which took about an hour and the pilot was very informative re who owned what house etc! We then moved on to a superb buffet lunch in a beautiful country type hotel - eat as much as you like etc, and all very healthy food too! During our stay in Montreal, we also had a trip to Quebec - a beautiful city, by any means. The tour guide was excellent, in my opinion! As you would expect, there was a great "French" feel about the city, and it would have been nice to have been able to spend more time there. We moved on to Toronto via Ottawa and had a wander arount the St Laurence Market there and got into Toronto about 6ish in the evening. Time to go straight up the CN tower - it takes 58 seconds from bottom to top in the elevator! The views from there are brilliant as is the glass floor that you can jump up and down on! We had a guided tour around Toronto, and again the tour guide was very knowledgeable. The hotel there was central enough, but sadly I had to complain re the noise level from the room next door to me - there was apparently a girly night out going on! To be very fair to the management there, the party was stopped within 5 minutes of me phoning down to the desk - although from what I gather they simply moved to another room and carried on there! We moved on to Niagra Falls, but sadly the weather wasn't good enough for the helicopter ride over the falls, and due to the waiting times for the Maid of the Mist, we never got to do that - what we did get to do was a ride over part of the Niagra River in a cable car type of thing, and that was good. We moved on to Rochester for an overnight stay and the hotel there was fine, then it was onwards into New York City! We got into NYC about 4 in the afternoon and the hotel was lovely, with a basic breakfast, continental style (as most places seemed to be). We had a night time tour and that was good - Times Square was manic and fascinating! Sadly, theatres in NYC only do a matinee on a Sunday and most don't open on a Monday, so those of that wanted to, couldn't see a show whilst there. Ah well! We had another guided tour the following morning, taking in Central Park, Fifth Avenue etc - again the guides were very knowledgeable. The weather on the final Monday, in the afternoon, was the only real bad weather that we encountered, but 5 of us were still able to do the helicopter ride over NYC and also the Empire State Building - whilst up the Empire State Buidling, a storm came over the Hudson and I got some really good piccies of that! 4 of us had a ride in a yellow cab, and that to me was brilliant - I think I saw my life flashed before me on several occasions! On the last day, 4 of us got a cab down to Central Park (which was only a mile from the hotel, easily in walking distance or by tube) and we took the horse and carriage ride around the park - beware of the touts trying to sell you a ripped of tour! Stick to the official ones who are licensed! We extended our tour of the park to almost an hour and the weather was there to make it really enjoyable!

So, all in all, I can't fault the entire holiday - yes, some of the hotels could have been a bit better, but at the end of the day, we weren't really in them for long so it didn't matter too much!

On a personal, positive ending, I would like to say a huge thank you to Jenny and Jackie - they really did make a difference to my holiday and were 2 fantastic ladies who included me in everything! And last, but certainly not least, Gary the tour manager - a born and bred Bostonian who now lives in the UK! Gary, you were the best and you had a lot of trials to put up with which you sorted with no, or very little hassle, and were very informative throughout the whole trip. If anyoned gets him on a tour then they will be very lucky. So, thanks for making it a memorable tour Gary! It's very true, that the TM can make or break your holiday for you and he made ours!

If anyone is thinking of doing this tour, then go at the end of September if you can, as that seems to be the magical time for colours and weather.

I hope that this is of some use to you if you are going, but if there's anything you need or want to know, please don't hesitate to ask and I'll answer! Clothes wise, all you need is comfortable, casual clothes, and dress in layers to suit the changing temperatures throughout the day. The price of eating out was relatively cheap so you wouldn't need too much for that either. A hectic, but very enjoyable holiday, with masses of history in that region that applies to good old England (even although I'm a Scot, I still appreciated the connection!!!) and as I read a lot of books which seem to be associated with New England, to actually see the places was brilliant for me. I'll shut up now, honest!

Take care

Anne

dear Anne . Can you advise me on how much money to take on this trip you've just done. Being nosy how much did you spend?
anniethenitnurse
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I allowed for between 50-70 dollars per day for food and drink - as I don't really drink alcohol, I didn't have to worry about that side of it. We had a cold storage container at the back of the coach and the driver put lots of water and soft drinks in it for us to have and each drink was 1 dollar, which was brilliant! I took extra for buying bits and pieces that I wanted, and also for the optional excursions. Julia should be able to tell you nearer the time how much they would be so that you can allow for that. I would advise that you take both US and Canadian dollars with you, though, as it's easier to deal with when you go into Canada. If your trip is anything like mine was then you'll have a fantastic time, and I really envy you! I would go back in a minute!

Best wishes

Anne

lesley07
(Member)
Hi

I did this trip a week before Anne and took about £500 each in both American and Canadian dollars. Brought home £200. Most of my spending was on meals, excursions and gifts. Tips for Tour Manager, local Guides etc accounted for about £100· Like Anne I really enjoyed this tour and am sure you will have a great time.

Lesley