Jenny R
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Bob

Sometime ago we spoke of New Zealand. Back about a week now - still trying to adjust sleep pattern back. 13hrs time difference. Apart from that NZ is a lovely country. Lots of coach travel between places but once arrived it was worth it. So many highlights. From simple things like the glow worm caves and Mrs Jones ice cream shop to the geysers, mudpools etc of Roturoa, helicopter flight and landing on a glacier. We were first up and had first footprints in the pristine snow. Small plane ride around Mt Cook and jet boat safari to Lord of the Rings country (although don't forget the insect repellent on that one - sand flys really bite). Christchurch is quite sobering to see all of the damage but the people seem to be getting on. Can't get near cathedral and centre - all cordoned off. Churches have had their steeples lifted off and they stand by the side. 'Pop-up' shops (portacabins) are keeping the trade going. So keep this one on your to do list. SA still top though.

Jenny R

the_baron1
(Member)
'Jenny wrote:

Hi Bob

Sometime ago we spoke of New Zealand. Back about a week now - still trying to adjust sleep pattern back. 13hrs time difference. Apart from that NZ is a lovely country. Lots of coach travel between places but once arrived it was worth it. So many highlights. From simple things like the glow worm caves and Mrs Jones ice cream shop to the geysers, mudpools etc of Roturoa, helicopter flight and landing on a glacier. We were first up and had first footprints in the pristine snow. Small plane ride around Mt Cook and jet boat safari to Lord of the Rings country (although don't forget the insect repellent on that one - sand flys really bite). Christchurch is quite sobering to see all of the damage but the people seem to be getting on. Can't get near cathedral and centre - all cordoned off. Churches have had their steeples lifted off and they stand by the side. 'Pop-up' shops (portacabins) are keeping the trade going. So keep this one on your to do list. SA still top though.

Jenny R

Concure with Jennys comments.

This holiday to New Zealand exceeded my expectations. Scenery to die for with still snow topped peaks. Very much like English and Scottish countryside, green fields, cows and sheep!!!

Highlight is landing on the Franz Joseph Glacier and also the drive to Milford sound (although takes about 4 hours each way.)

Eric.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jenny,

Many thanks for your review; great to hear from you and that you had a brilliant time, I'm delighted! I'm hoping to do NZ but due to time constraints and family commitments I reckon it's going to be around four or five years time, so hoping JY still do it (and the Cook Islands add-on) then! It all sounds wonderful and it must have been poignant to see the destruction in Christchurch. I'm glad you're back safely and I'm sure you'll have many great photos to look back on. I've done two hols since our South Africa tour and you're right, none have equalled it so far, although South America came close! Off to Vietnam and Cambodia next, hoping it will be as wonderful as it sounds!

Best wishes,

Bob

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Milford sound made me cry it was stunningly beautiful I found it very spiritual...I also loved the Franz Joseph so many memories.....

Cindy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
I don't think I want to read any more posts on this hol as it is only making me want to do it so much and I know I won't be able to for a few years! From what I've seen the scenery on this tour must be amongst the most breathtaking anywhere in the world....

Bob

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I would love to go to New Zealand one of these days - both Australia and New Zealand are on my list of destinations and I sincerely hope that I will be able to fulfil my wish one day.

Jaya

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
For me Australia holds my heart as I just loved Ayers Rock and my whole holiday, but for beauty NZ wins hands down...Milford sound is JUST!!!! Scenery but it was take your breathe away scenery...I can't explain it ..it was a defo you have to be there moments in your life...

I won't ever get to go back to these countries, well unless my kids end up living there but I am so glad I have been there and done that so to speak, I do appreciate how lucky I have been to see these two outstandingly beautiful countries..

I would urge anybody who feels the pull to visit either of these or both if you every get the chanceGO FOR IT...

You will not be disapointed

Cindy

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I totally agree with Bob. Reading posts about this holiday really makes you want to go there and it is hard when you know you will have to wait for a few years. Still it is nice to read about views from different people. I will have to try and find a rich man as the chances of winning a lottery are almost nil! On the other hand, I guess finding a rich man is also not going to be easy so I will just have to keep on working and try to save as much as I can!

Jaya

YorkshireLass64
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

I totally agree with Bob. Reading posts about this holiday really makes you want to go there and it is hard when you know you will have to wait for a few years. Still it is nice to read about views from different people. I will have to try and find a rich man as the chances of winning a lottery are almost nil! On the other hand, I guess finding a rich man is also not going to be easy so I will just have to keep on working and try to save as much as I can!

Jaya

YorkshireLass64
(Member)
I went on the JY to NZ 7 years ago and I still bore friends, family and anyone who will listen about how fantastic the trip was.

I have been saving up to return as this time I want to fly in business class so need many pennies for the upgrade but I believe I will get back and reading your reviews has made me get a wiggle on with the saving.