Bosuncat
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Good morning Mildred.

I received a letter from Customer Services on Christmas Eve (great timing, not), to inform me that Easyjet cannot honour the group allocation for JY on that date.  My booking has now been transferred to a far later flight on 6th September with British Airways.  This effectively means that the first day of the holiday has been lost, as we are not due to land in Heraklion until 21.15 on the 6th (not 20.15 as quoted by C.S), and face a 2 hour plus transfer to Chania after that. 

As I have found it increasingly annoying ringing Customer Services (and in any case it is closed), I would like to ask some questions please, which perhaps you can pass on to someone who may be able to answer them. 

I want to do this holiday very much which is why I was prepared to face the close to 6 hours journey down to Gatwick and an overnight stay.  The departure time quoted by yourselves for B.A is 14.15, so I shall still have to overnight.  The arrival time back on the 13th September is quoted as 23.20 into Gatwick.  So I face either spending the whole night in Gatwick (not ideal on my own), or paying out for more accommodation.  There are no overnight buses from Gatwick to Nottingham (unlike Heathrow).  I am certainly not happy about this.

The letter mentions that instead of the welcome meal on the 6th we will now eat on the way from the airport.  Again, this is not ideal, as it means that we will be even later into the hotel.  I am anticipating perhaps 1am?

I would also like to ask what arrangements will be made on the 13th September (departure date).  The hotel is bed and breakfast only, so I would hope that some kind of arrangement can be made with the hotel for luggage storage on that date?  I'm not very happy to be spending the day in clothes that I had intended to travel home in.  Will there be a room made available to us for changing and freshening up? 

Besides the extra expense to myself (and there will be more that the extra overnight hotel), I have found it very annoying as  B.A operate a service direct to Chania on those dates from Heathrow, and at far more convenient flight times.  Has this not been considered, seeing as you are having to change carriers from EasyJet to B.A anyway?

So adding everything up.  The change of flights times, transfer from Heraklion (2 hours plus) instead of Chania,(estimated 30 minutes), and of course the added expense of overnight accommodation, I am not very happy.  I do hope that things don't change again, or at least that if there are changes, that it is to something more positive (like using Heathrow instead of Gatwick).  The only positive thing I CAN find at the moment is that J.Y have let me know in plenty of time, instead of leaving it to the last minute, and putting me in an impossible situation, as has happened before. 

On a more positive note.  Have there been any more bookings for this date?

Thank you.

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Morning Bosuncat,

I have passed this on to our customer service team and they will be in contact with you directly.

Also there are 5 travellers currently booked on this tour.

Kind Regards,

Mildred

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Moderator2' wrote:

Good Morning Bosuncat,

I have passed this on to our customer service team and they will be in contact with you directly.

Also there are 5 travellers currently booked on this tour.

Kind Regards,

Mildred

Thank you Mildred.  I would hope to get an answer of some kind from them soon.  This issue has now been hanging around since 24th December, when I received the original letter, and whilst recognising the problems caused by the change over to G Adventures, I see now that all the flights have been affected, not just the 6th September one.  The only one not affected is the May one, which is still being shown as EasyJet being the carrier. I do find it very strange that EasyJet can oblige with a group booking on that departure, and not on the others. 

Thank you also for letting me know the current numbers booked.

magpie10
(Member)
Hi Bosuncat,

I have known EasyJet drop routes before in May when they dropped the Newcastle to Gatwick flights a few years ago. I think most airlines announce their routes once or twice a year and start/drop routes as they go along, usually due to passenger numbers/profitability.

I agree about the departure airport, I'd much prefer flying out of Heathrow than Gatwick, although I'm sure there must be a few other departure airports which could be used.

I hope you get everything sorted out and enjoy your holiday.

Regards

Caroline

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'magpie10' wrote:

Hi Bosuncat,

I have known EasyJet drop routes before in May when they dropped the Newcastle to Gatwick flights a few years ago. I think most airlines announce their routes once or twice a year and start/drop routes as they go along, usually due to passenger numbers/profitability.

I agree about the departure airport, I'd much prefer flying out of Heathrow than Gatwick, although I'm sure there must be a few other departure airports which could be used.

I hope you get everything sorted out and enjoy your holiday.

Regards

Caroline

Thanks Caroline.  I was prepared, and only booked, to go on this holiday because both of the flight times for Gatwick, originally with EasyJet were okay, although it would still have meant me overnighting going out.  Obviously the new times are NOT.  :  Even East Midlands has a direct flight to Chania, and why we have to stick with Gatwick I do not know, and have still to find out.  😠   Heathrow, with BA and far easier departure and arrival times and with BA is infinitely preferable.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I am also on this tour and I'm disappointed that the flights have been changed - I agree with Bosuncat's suggestion that it would make sense and be far preferable to switch the departure to Heathrow and fly to Chania with BA - is there any good reason why this can't be done?  It will be a huge inconvenience to arrive in the early hours of day two at the hotel, tired after the late flight and not able to sleep after a very late meal!  If needs be, I will endure this to do the holiday I want, but I really hope the flights can be rearranged to go at a more reasonable time.  I take Caroline's point on board and on the whole I'm happier to be travelling with BA than EasyJet but I do hope that the flights will be transferred to Chania.  As things stand, I will have to book overnight accommodation at the airport at the beginning and at the end of the holiday.  Also it seems to me that most JY customers much prefer travelling from Heathrow than Gatwick, so I would have thought it makes sense to have the tour originating from there instead.  I await a response from JY in due course!  Finally, it is good to hear that there are now five bookings for this tour, given that it is still nine months away I think it is looking promising!

All the best,

Bob

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Morning Bob,

I have passed this on to a member of our customer service team and they will be in contact with you very soon.

Kind Regards,

Mildred

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mildred,

Many thanks and I look forward to receiving the call.

Best wishes,

Bob

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for your thoughts too Bob.  🙂   Mildred, would it be possible for CS to send an email instead of phoning please?   I'm still waiting for a reply from them incidentally.  :huh:
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

I for one actually prefer to travel from Gatwick as it is easier for me to get there. I can take a direct Thameslink train to Gatwick where as I have to take a coach to Heathrow.

I sincerely hope that both Elaine and Bob get their flights sorted for this holiday. This is the same reason I decided not to book the Azores holiday - no point in losing the entire day and possibly night especially on a short break. I am beginning to wonder that the main reason for switching to late flying flights is to save money and increase the profit margin?! I much arrive at a reasonable time on day one.

Regards

Jaya

Moderator2
(Member)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts too Bob.  🙂   Mildred, would it be possible for CS to send an email instead of phoning please?   I'm still waiting for a reply from them incidentally.  :huh:

Good Morning Bosuncat,

I'm sorry that no one has gotten back to you.

I have spoken to customer services and they will be sending you an email today.

Kind Regards,

Mildred

SarahS
(Member)
I was thinking about booking this one. I can understand flight changes made by the airline over which JY has no control, but this change is unacceptable, so sadly I won't be going to Crete. As a matter of interest, if I had already booked would my deposit have been refundable in view of unacceptable changes?
Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Moderator2' wrote:

'Bosuncat' wrote:

Good Morning Bosuncat,

Kind Regards,

Mildred

Many thanks Mildred.  That is most appreciated.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mildred,

I too would prefer an email from customer services.

Many thanks,

Bob

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mildred and anyone else interested in this thread,

Just to say that Hannah from Customer Services has just emailed me with a full response to the questions I had raised.  Whilst I am still not thrilled at the late arrival on day one, I am very impressed with the changes JY have made to the itinerary to accommodate the changes in flights - including a wonderful sounding extra excursion on the last day, through the mountains to an authentic village for dinner before heading to the airport.  Well done JY!

All the best,

Bob

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

'Moderator2' wrote:

'Bosuncat' wrote:

Good Morning Bosuncat,

Kind Regards,

Mildred

Many thanks Mildred.  That is most appreciated.

Annoyingly no email arrived yesterday Mildred.  :huh:     However, Bob did receive one and was kind enough to forward me a copy, for which he has my thanks.

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bosuncat,

Sorry you haven't received this email, Mildred is going to ask Hannah to resend this to you.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi SarahS,

All flight times are provisional and are subject to change If you found a change to be unacceptable, a member of the team would be available to talk through your options.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Julia' wrote:

Hi Bosuncat,

Sorry you haven't received this email, Mildred is going to ask Hannah to resend this to you.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Many thanks to you both.  As I have already indicated I am not that happy about the flight changes, and won't be booking a holiday that departs from Gatwick again.  As a matter of interest when are we likely to know if this departure is running or not please?

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Morning Bosuncat,

You are most welcome.

In an unfortunate event where we are forced to cancel a tour, we will do so before the date that your balance payment is due but we are feeling very positive about your tour going ahead.

Kind Regards,

Mildred