Mike A
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Wow, What a wonderful time we all had!   We were so lucky to have such a wonderful TM, namely Lefkathea Zarifopoulou, ( Thea), who was so caring and was such fun.  For me this trip was brilliant from the word go as I sat next to a couple of first timers on the plane and we talked for the whole four hour flight, (much to the annoyance of some of the other passengers I am sure-LOL).  The hotel was great with very attentive staff, especially the bar staff  who worked so hard, and was in a lovely setting by the old Venetian Harbour in Chania. Although it is rated as a 3 star, this can only be because it cannot expand in such an historic area, so it hasn't got a pool or a full restaurant, otherwise it would definitely be a 5 star.  The whole harbour front has many Tavernas to choose from and we tried many of them during the week.  There is a small beach nearby, about ten minutes walk, where I swam for the first time in over 20 years, and a much larger one about 30 mins walk away, through the town.  Beach towels are free from the hotel, as was use of the room safe, which I am usually used to paying for.  Drink prices were very good compared to London, and my whole week's bar bill was only what I would pay for 2 good nights out in the West End, so I thought it was brilliant value for money. 

Trips

I had registered for the White Mountain trip, but I didn't go in the end as I was enjoying the surroundings in Chania, but I did the Rethymno, Cretan Cookery lesson and Ayia Trias Monastery trips - all great fun .  I skipped the Heraklion/Knossos  excursion as I had been there on a cruise ship two years ago, but reports back from the others were all positive. 

The weather was hot and sunny throughout, around 32c .  There were thirty of us on the holiday and we all got on so well.  How could we not when we were in such a beautiful, friendly and relaxed place?  However, once again I have to thank Thea so much for all the effort she put in to making it work so well for us, - over and above the call of duty!   She even taught us basic Greek and gave us Homework!   

Mike A  😃

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mike

Thanks for your review.  It sounds a wonderful holiday and proves once again that a TM can really enhance our experiences.

Regards

Bosuncat
(Member)
So pleased you had a good time Mike. 

I totally agree with everything you have said.  I loved my trip last year.  The hotel is awesome and the staff are lovely.  

🙂

Jules H
(Member)
'Mike A' wrote:

Wow, What a wonderful time we all had!   We were so lucky to have such a wonderful TM, namely Lefkathea Zarifopoulou, ( Thea), who was so caring and was such fun.  For me this trip was brilliant from the word go as I sat next to a couple of first timers on the plane and we talked for the whole four hour flight, (much to the annoyance of some of the other passengers I am sure-LOL).  The hotel was great with very attentive staff, especially the bar staff  who worked so hard, and was in a lovely setting by the old Venetian Harbour in Chania. Although it is rated as a 3 star, this can only be because it cannot expand in such an historic area, so it hasn't got a pool or a full restaurant, otherwise it would definitely be a 5 star.  The whole harbour front has many Tavernas to choose from and we tried many of them during the week.  There is a small beach nearby, about ten minutes walk, where I swam for the first time in over 20 years, and a much larger one about 30 mins walk away, through the town.  Beach towels are free from the hotel, as was use of the room safe, which I am usually used to paying for.  Drink prices were very good compared to London, and my whole week's bar bill was only what I would pay for 2 good nights out in the West End, so I thought it was brilliant value for money. 

Trips

I had registered for the White Mountain trip, but I didn't go in the end as I was enjoying the surroundings in Chania, but I did the Rethymno, Cretan Cookery lesson and Ayia Trias Monastery trips - all great fun .  I skipped the Heraklion/Knossos  excursion as I had been there on a cruise ship two years ago, but reports back from the others were all positive. 

The weather was hot and sunny throughout, around 32c .  There were thirty of us on the holiday and we all got on so well.  How could we not when we were in such a beautiful, friendly and relaxed place?  However, once again I have to thank Thea so much for all the effort she put in to making it work so well for us, - over and above the call of duty!   She even taught us basic Greek and gave us Homework!   

Mike A  :D

Jules H
(Member)
This was my first just you holiday and I was feeling very anxious to begin with but I needn't of worried met some lovey people that I had been on these holidays before. The TM Thea Zarifopoulou went and above want she needed to do she way always there if you needed her, she always made sure that no one was left out. as as first timer to JU holidays she made me feel very relaxed form the moment I met her

she even taught us some Greek.

The Porto Veneziano Hotel may have been a 3* hotel but this is due to it having no swimming pool or restaurant, but it feels like a 5*. All the staff looked after you so well and the bar staff in the evening wereget fun and looked after us so well.

They is loads of local places to eat were the food was just lovely. The town is made up of lots of little streets were I found a lovely painting to bring home t remain me of a lovey holiday.

I even managed to go snorkeling and saw loads of fish.

I made new friends and I'm looking forward t my next Just you holiday :-)

Jules H

Jules H
(Member)
This was my first just you holiday and I was feeling very anxious to begin with but I needn't have worried met some lovey people that I had been on these holidays before. The TM Thea Zarifopoulou went and above want she needed to do she was always there if you needed her, she even taught us some Greek.

The Porto Veneziano Hotel may have been a 3* hotel but this is due to it having no swimming pool or restaurant, but it feels like a 5*. All the staff looked after you so well and the bar staff in the evening were get fun and looked after us so well.

They is loads of local places to eat were the food was just lovely. The town is made up of lots of little streets where I found a lovely painting to bring home to remain me of a lovey holiday.

I even managed to go snorkelling and saw loads of fish.

I made new friends and I'm looking forward to my next Just you holiday

:-D

Mike A
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jules H' wrote:

'Mike A' wrote:

Trips

Thanks Jonah and Bosuncat!   It was so easy to write about as it was a perfect trip. 

Bosuncat, - Did you get Thea last year?   One of our ladies came back practically engaged to George the barman, (although he's already married, but who cares!  (-:)

Mike A
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Nice to meet you too Jules! Thanks for dragging me in to swim with you all. I really enjoyed it.
Bosuncat
(Member)
'Mike A' wrote:

'Jules H' wrote:

'Mike A' wrote:

Trips

Thanks Jonah and Bosuncat!   It was so easy to write about as it was a perfect trip. 

Bosuncat, - Did you get Thea last year?   One of our ladies came back practically engaged to George the barman, (although he's already married, but who cares!  (-:)

Hi Mike.  Stupidly enough I didn't take my swimwear.  I went to Golden Beach with 2 lovely people, but did get to paddle.  The water was so warm and clear, lots of little fish round my feet.  

No, we didn't have Thea.  

As for George, I remember him well!   🙂   He always had my beer ready for me, complete with nuts or crisps.  The staff there are all awesome.  I  remember having a great convo with the chambermaid.  Her English was so good I felt ashamed but I did learn a tiny bit of Greek.  I so want to go back.  I struggled with the heat and humidity somewhat so was happy to wander round Chania.  The people are so welcoming.  I spent part of one morning sitting in a very informal bar up one of the side streets, talking to a young Dutch guy and playing with a very friendly kitten.  Wonderful memories.

Mike A
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Bosuncat. I speak Dutch actually, but only had a brief conversation with some Dutch people passing the hotel. We met some Americans though and some Greek-Australians, so it was a pretty cosmopolitan place. Some of us are meeting up this weekend as we miss it so much )-:
Bosuncat
(Member)
'Mike A' wrote:

Thanks Bosuncat.  I speak Dutch actually, but only had a brief conversation with some Dutch  people passing the hotel.  We met some Americans though and some Greek-Australians, so it was a pretty cosmopolitan place.  Some of us are meeting up this weekend as we miss it so much )-:

Have a great meetup.  It's nice to do that.  

The guy was Swiss.  I don't know where I got Dutch from.   :)

I'm off back to Costa de la Luz on Tuesday.  Sadly my only trip this year.