mick62
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
hi will be going on this trip in april is there anything we need to take different to usual holidays im assuming there will be quite a bit of treking/walking in particular in the amazon thanks mick
Tim
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mick, here is the information we provide in regard to recommended clothing and essentials for the Amazon add-on:

During the Amazon add-on breakfast, lunch and dinner are included at the lodge. The lodge accommodation is rustic and simple in its style allowing you to really enjoy the true natural highlights of the Amazon. The lodge has individual bungalows with mosquito nets, oil lamps and private facilities and a terrace with hammocks. Electricity is only available in the common areas between the hours of 0600-0800 during the morning and 1800-2000 during the evening to charge any electrical devices. Lodge facilities include a bar, restaurant and terrace with river views.

Your journey to the Amazon

For your extension to the Amazon you are required to take a small bag with you whilst the remainder of your baggage will be kept safe in storage. Your belongings will then be picked up on your return.

Recommended Clothing/Essentials

A smaller bag is recommended to take with you during your stay at the Amazon

Hand sanitiser

Camera

Torch

Strong insect repellent

Personal medication

Sun block

Sun hat

Sun glasses

Walking shoes/boots

Comfortable shoes for the evenings

Thick socks

Shorts/ three quarter length

Trousers/jeans

T-shirts long and short sleeved

Waterproof jacket

Fleece

Light jacket with a hood

Plastic bags to store personal items due to the high humidity

Thanks,

Tim

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thats a very comprehensive list, however I would question the suggestion to take jeans. They are definitely not good in the jungle - they are very hot and almost impossible to dry out in the humidity. Cargo style trousers are better, particularly the zip off style. There are lots of outdoor shops (Millets, Cotswolds etc) that sell them.

The other thing to take is a relaxed attitude. It can be very hot, humid and muddy in the Amazon. Once you get used to the fact that you will all be sweaty and smelly and that the insects although everywhere aren't out to get you, you will have an amazing time and see some incredible sights.

carol b
(Member)
This might seem a bit OTT but I took my own wellies and I'm so glad I did. Although there were wellies available at the lodge most were split and it was a bit of a challenge to find a pair that fitted and were serviceable. If you can take your own at least you'll know that you will be suitably prepared.