Debs1961
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Ben,

Could you please clarify some information regarding what can and can't be worn in the areas we travel to in Thailand. I have read that you have to cover up shoulders and wear cropped trousers or long skirts in places like Palaces and temples. This is understandable and expected. I have also read that the people of Thailand are offended to see women in strappy tops/dresses, anything showing a cleavage and don't like to see much flesh at all as it is offensive.

Whilst i'm sure nobody would want to offend people of the Country you visit,if this is true of the areas we go to. then should it not have been part of the information sent out at the time of booking. I for one have not got a wardrobe of trousers and long sleeved lightweight cool clothing. Obviously this is quite worrying as nobody wants to feel out of place either by taking the wrong clothing due to wrong information.

Also are there any dress codes whilst at the beach hotel? I'm sure your reply will also help the other people on this trip who have also raised questions on what to pack.

Regards

Debs

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Debs,

As I've not travelled to Thailand I thought it best to seek some advice from a colleague who has said that casual lightweight clothing and shorts that cover the thighs are acceptable throughout your stay (so typical holiday wear is suitable). You may find a cardigan or pullover useful for air-conditioned buildings and transportation. The only thing that you need to consider, which you have already addressed is that when visiting the local temples the dress code can be strict. Women cannot wear shorts or strappy tops and men’s shorts must be below the knee.

I'm sure if any of our members who have already travelled to Thailand see this post, they wouldn't mind sharing their experiences.

Kind regards

Julia

Debs1961
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julia,

Thank you for that clarification it has certainly eased my mind! It looks like the tourist websites give information for specific areas and not Thailand in general. I will keep a check on the Threads for any more tips especially from anybody who has been this time of year.

Regards

Debs

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have been to Thailand a few years ago, though not with Just You. I do not think the dress code is that strict apart from when visiting holy places where you have to cover yourselves - this is the same when you visit Churches on the continent. You do not have to wear long sleeves all the time. I personally do not wear clothes which show a cleavage so never have any problems no matter where I go! I find that in most places people respect you if you dress 'decently' - I use this word in quotes as everyone's thinking is different and I do not wish to offend anyone as this is a personal choice.

Jaya

Debs1961
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jaya,

Thank you for your help, im pleased it won't have to be trousers and long sleeves all the time as it would mean more expense with clothes. Still have to decide what to take but not so worried! I hope you enjoy wherever you go on your next holiday!

Regards

Debs

Bridget Jane
(Member)
Hi Debs, I will be taking light weight zip off long trousers (Cragghoppers nosilife are brilliant) so I can wear them as shorts or just zip on the leg bottoms for long trousers whenever I want. As for tops, I will be wearing normal sleeveless and short sleeved tops but carrying an extremely lightweight loose shirt with me. I can use this to cover up if necessary either in the temples, if I get sunburn or to be a little warmer in air conditioned hotels. I hope this gives you some ideas. Not long now! Can't wait!:D:
RLJ
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Bridget wrote:

Hi Debs, I will be taking light weight zip off long trousers (Cragghoppers nosilife are brilliant) so I can wear them as shorts or just zip on the leg bottoms for long trousers whenever I want. As for tops, I will be wearing normal sleeveless and short sleeved tops but carrying an extremely lightweight loose shirt with me. I can use this to cover up if necessary either in the temples, if I get sunburn or to be a little warmer in air conditioned hotels. I hope this gives you some ideas. Not long now! Can't wait!:D:

Hello everyone going to Thailand on 14 March

Thank you for the information on what to pack !! I sent for nosilife trousers - lovely but they swamped me ( short not slim !!!! )therefore back they went. I will also be packing a variety of long and cut off trousers with different tops too. Will we need many evening outfits ?

How will you be taking money ? My Post office reckon they can get Thailand currency for me. I'm not sure how to take "back up money" - in U.S dollars/Sterling or travellers' cheques in dollars or sterling. Any advice out there ?

Not long to go now !!!

RLJ:thumbup:

RLJ
  • (Member)
(Member)
Good afternoon Ben

I will be going on the 14 March tour to Thailand. I have a few queries about the best way to take currency

My Post Office tell me that they can pre order Thailand currency for me. I would also like to take " back up " money as well as my credit card. Which is the best way ? U.S dollars or Sterling in cash ? U.S Dollars or Sterling in Travellers' Cheques ? Will there be opportunities/time at hotels etc to change money if the need arises ? Thank you

RLJ

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Good afternoon,

Thanks for getting touch 🙂

There will be time on tour to exchange, your Tour Manager will advise you on the best location. The national currency of Thailand is the Baht (THB). Currency can be exchanged at banks (which usually offer the best rates), hotels (usually charge high commission) and exchange offices. If you intend to take Travellers Cheques we suggest you take them in US Dollars, Euros or Pound Sterling to avoid additional exchange rate charges.

Major credit cards are accepted in hotels, larger shops and restaurants. We also recommend that you inform your bank/card company of your trip to Thailand, in order to avoid any problems when withdrawing cash from ATM’s; as a security method on your behalf, banks occasionally stop withdrawals in the event that they are being used fraudulently abroad.

Banking hours are generally 08.30-15.30.

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

RLJ
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Ben' wrote:

Good afternoon,

Thanks for getting touch 🙂

There will be time on tour to exchange, your Tour Manager will advise you on the best location. The national currency of Thailand is the Baht (THB). Currency can be exchanged at banks (which usually offer the best rates), hotels (usually charge high commission) and exchange offices. If you intend to take Travellers Cheques we suggest you take them in US Dollars, Euros or Pound Sterling to avoid additional exchange rate charges.

Major credit cards are accepted in hotels, larger shops and restaurants. We also recommend that you inform your bank/card company of your trip to Thailand, in order to avoid any problems when withdrawing cash from ATM’s; as a security method on your behalf, banks occasionally stop withdrawals in the event that they are being used fraudulently abroad.

Banking hours are generally 08.30-15.30.

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

Good afternoon Ben

Thank you for your information - very helpful. Just looking forward now March 14 will soon be here.:thumbup: