SMW
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
What's the recommended way of taking spending money to China? Is Chinese currency available in the UK, and are UK credit and debit cards widely accepted. Also, the Yangtze cruise mentions a $22.50 mandatory gratuity. Is that US dollars and does it have to be cash?
Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Good morning,

Thanks for getting in touch, the currency in China is the Yuan and money can be exchanged in China in most hotels and some larger stores. When you exchange your money you’ll need to produce a copy of your passport so it’s important to bring a photocopy of your passport with you. Once your money has been exchanged you’ll receive a receipt. Keep this with you in case you need to change money back before you leave China.

We do not advise you take Travellers Cheques as these are proving difficult to exchange.

There is no limit on the amount of foreign currency and foreign exchange that can be brought into China by passengers, but if the amount is over $5,000 (£2000) this must be declared to customs.

Most banks and post offices are able to order Yuan for you. Many Foreign Exchanges now hold currency and is available over the counter.

Money exchange facilities for currency are available at major airports, hotels, and department stores. Exchange rates fluctuate in line with international financial market conditions.

Currency rather than credit cards is essential in remote areas, and you should ensure that you carry sufficient Yuan to cover your requirements.

Banks will only accept notes in perfect condition. The smallest tear or defacement will result in your cash being refused. UK visitors should note that Scottish or Northern Ireland bank notes are NOT accepted.

Credit Cards

Credit cards are normally accepted at the larger hotels and shops. It is recommended that you contact your bank prior to departing the UK to inform them that you may be using your credit or debit card whilst you are away. Sometimes your credit/debit card may be declined as you are using it in a different country and your bank has not been notified. This will enable you to use your card without any problems.

In respect to the gratuity on board, this will need to paid in Dollars,

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

SMW
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks, Ben. That's very helpful.

Re the gratuity in dollars. I happen to have about $42 left over from a US work trip. I knew they'd come in useful one day. Just never expected it to be in China. LOL.

martini2429
(Member)
Hi,

I went to China with Just You back in 2005, I took with me about £200 of Yuan (thats all you could take at that time, things have changed since the Olympics), GB pounds and US Dollars, I had no problem changing money at the Hotel, but had to show my passport every time I did, I also had nonproblem using my Credit Card

Have a Great trip.

Martin

'SMW' wrote:

What's the recommended way of taking spending money to China? Is Chinese currency available in the UK, and are UK credit and debit cards widely accepted. Also, the Yangtze cruise mentions a $22.50 mandatory gratuity. Is that US dollars and does it have to be cash?