Nervous wreck
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, 

It's taken me at least 2 years just to get this far .

I was looking for suggestions on where to go on my first adventure. 

I'm painfully shy until I know anybody.Which I know gives the wrong impression  (snooty).

I don't travel very well at all, usually needing some strong tranquilizer to get on a plane, and anti sickness tablets for that, a coach, a ferry, etc. 

The only thing I'm usually ok with is a train.

Any suggestions on which holiday to go on would be gratefully received. 

Thank you

andydurrant
(Member)
Although most holidays involve flying, there are some that use the the Eurostar. First JY holiday I did was on the train, stayed in Lille and had day trips to Bruges, Ghent and an evening one to Ypres for the last post ceremony at the Menin Gate.

Hope you find something you like the look of!

DavidG
(Member)
'Nervous wreck' wrote:

Hi, 

I'm painfully shy until I know anybody.Which I know gives the wrong impression  (snooty).

I don't travel very well at all, usually needing some strong tranquilizer to get on a plane, and anti sickness tablets for that, a coach, a ferry, etc. 

Thank you

DavidG
(Member)
Hello,

Why don't you try one of the Eurotunnel holidays? No ships or planes and are all fairly short, so not too duanting. Once you have 'dipped your toe in the water' you will not look back (speaking as soneone who is also shy and apprehensive first time, but have just booked about my 20th holiday with JY!).

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello

When you travel with Just You, you will be travelling with friendly like minded people. Do not worry about being shy as there will be plenty of folk who will talk with you. Why don't you have a look at the brochure and see if there is anything that takes your fancy. You can always try a short holiday first to see how you get on. There was a time when I needed anti sickness tablets for plane, coach, boat, car when I was a back seat passenger etc and I could not even read on a train. I am much better now but need travel sickness tablets now and then.

Regards

Jaya

penny carter
(Member)
Hello Nervous Wreck,

I know how you feel - I was the same for my first JY holiday I opted for a weekend in Leicester on one of their Discovery Weekends that they used to do. I was terrified even for that but then booked a 6 day break in Catalonia which I loved. That was in 2008 and I've done several JY holidays since - many to far-flung places. You are well looked after and there is always someone on the trip who is a 'first -timer'. I suggest a trip in the UK first if you're nervous. JY have a few walking holidays or why not a UK Christmas break? They also do a train trip in the Pyrenees as you like trains but you have to fly to Barcelona.Once you take that first step, it gets easier. Don't put it off any longer - life's too short ! Good luck!

Penny

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Nervous Wreck,

Agree with what has been said. So many trips with Eurostar and then the ones in Britain. I have been to Leicester and Richard 111- great fun. Jacobite trains in Scotland- brilliant and ow to my knee with the Yorkshire Dales Walk. Done Lille twice with Christmas Markets and the Battlefields. Made some great friends on here and seen some wonderful sites.

See what you fancy and go with the flow 🙂 

Jan

jintzky
(Member)
'DavidG' wrote:

'Nervous wreck' wrote:

Hi, 

Thank you

I would say start with small steps. A short break in Britain would be a good start, that way you can get to know people and talk about other holidays and share ideas.  If you book something too ambitious to start with you may lose your confidence altogether. I would recommend a short weekend away, taking in something you are interested in i.e. walking, trains, sightseeing. Doing something you are really interested in will enable you to talk to others more easily.  Dont fall into the trap of letting other people decide/book your holiday - read the brochures very carefully, call the JY office (if indeed you  can get through!) for advice.  Meanwhile, have small adventures at home i.e. a day away on your own to somewhere of interest will help gain your confidence. Small steps will lead to leaps and bounds eventually, but take it slowly and steadily.  We are all a friendly bunch, everyone is shy/scared about something but somehow at the end of a holiday friendships are made and inspiration for more adventures acquired!! Relax and go with the flow!

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I would just say GO FOR IT, life’s to short to dither.....

I would say look at what’s on offer and book where you heart leads you. My first tour was Boston, New England and New York. I like the full on tours and to be kept busy...

Cindy

SueStricks
(Member)
Hello nervous wreck from a former nervous wreck! I would agree with the post from Cindy- above! Life really is too short, go with your dreams, where did you always dream of going as a child? Now we can travel to places we never dreamed of! I am on my 12th tour with JY now- I started with a trip to Italy and I now travel the world! You will always find some folks that you rub up with well on these tours- perhaps start a conversation thread here and chat with others who may be travelling so you have broken the ice before you get to the airport/ train station ?

Follow your heart and go to the places that capture your imagination- and very best of luck!

ozzyeden
(Member)
'Nervous wreck' wrote:

Hi, 

Thank you

Hi I am in the same boat as you,  although I do love flying. I looked at the trip to Sardinia and wondered if anyone has gone there ? I believe its a stay and explore trip.  Good luck with your choice.  Ozzyeden

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hello Nervous Wreck

We've all been there, so pick a destination where you really want to visit and go for it. My first was to New Zealand and was I petrified - yes!!!

Your fellow travellers, me included, have written a piece for the JY website - link below.

https://www.justyou.co.uk/en-gb/l/my-stories/ 

Regards

Sylvia