Gilligan50
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am new to JY and have never travelled on my own before. Booked Pompeii, Sorrento and Bay of Naples 10th oct 2018 months ago!

I am from the South Coast and will be flying from Gatwick. Looking forward to  and would love to make contact with any one  else travelling on this trip,

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Gilligan50

Welcome to the Community! You've picked a great trip for your first JY adventure. I did it in September 2015 and loved it. If you put Pompeii into the search facility on the top right of the page you will find loads of reviews and thoughts from people like me.

My top tips would be take very comfy, closed toed walking shoes because the paved areas at the ruins themselves are very uneven, as is the cinder path up Vesuvius. Also, take a hat, as there is very little shade and drink loads of water. Finally, try the local granita because it's very refreshing in the heat and also, if you like gelato and/or pastries, head for De Vivo - it's a local gelateria and bakery half way between your hotel and the ruins. My group quickly adopted it as our 'local' - it's fab :P

Happy to help if you have any other questions once you've read the reviews

All the best

Mandy

Kate7
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Gilligan50' wrote:

I am new to JY and have never travelled on my own before. Booked Pompeii, Sorrento and Bay of Naples 10th oct 2018 months ago!

I am from the South Coast and will be flying from Gatwick. Looking forward to  and would love to make contact with any one  else travelling on this trip,

Hi Gilligan50

I’ve just booked the same JY holiday, although I’m travelling from north wales so will be flying from Manchester. 

It’s all new to me too but really excited

jennyf
(Member)
I've booked this holiday on 5th September so the tips are worth reading, thanks.
wolfmiller
(Member)
'Gilligan50' wrote:

Hi Gilligan50 

I booked this holiday sometime last year and can not wait to go. I'm from the the south west and will be arriving at Gatwick quite early so if you want to meet up that would be great. I've never flown by myself before and I must confess that the idea of navigating the airport by myself is a bit overwhelming, :s so it will be great to have company. 🙂

Gilligan50
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'wolfmiller' wrote:

'Gilligan50' wrote:

Hi Gilligan50 

I booked this holiday sometime last year and can not wait to go. I'm from the the south west and will be arriving at Gatwick quite early so if you want to meet up that would be great. I've never flown by myself before and I must confess that the idea of navigating the airport by myself is a bit overwhelming, :s  so it will be great to have company. :)

Hi  Wolfmiller yes really looking forward to it. Yes we could meet at Gatwick as I am not worried about navigating Gatwick - its getting off at the other end that worries me!  :rolleyes:

Gilligan50
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'AELB' wrote:

Hi Gilligan50

Welcome to the Community! You've picked a great trip for your first JY adventure. I did it in September 2015 and loved it. If you put Pompeii into the search facility on the top right of the page you will find loads of reviews and thoughts from people like me.

My top tips would be take very comfy, closed toed walking shoes because the paved areas at the ruins themselves are very uneven, as is the cinder path up Vesuvius. Also, take a hat, as there is very little shade and drink loads of water. Finally, try the local granita because it's very refreshing in the heat and also, if you like gelato and/or pastries, head for De Vivo - it's a local gelateria and bakery half way between your hotel and the ruins. My group quickly adopted it as our 'local' - it's fab :P

Happy to help if you have any other questions once you've read the reviews

All the best

Mandy

Thanks for the advice Mandy  :heart:

Gilligan50
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Kate7' wrote:

'Gilligan50' wrote:

Hi Gilligan50

I’ve just booked the same JY holiday, although I’m travelling from north wales so will be flying from Manchester. 

It’s all new to me too but really excited

Looking forward to meeting you! 😃

wolfmiller
(Member)
'Gilligan50' wrote:

'wolfmiller' wrote:

'Gilligan50' wrote:

Hi Gilligan50 

I booked this holiday sometime last year and can not wait to go. I'm from the the south west and will be arriving at Gatwick quite early so if you want to meet up that would be great. I've never flown by myself before and I must confess that the idea of navigating the airport by myself is a bit overwhelming, :s  so it will be great to have company. :)

Hi  Wolfmiller yes really looking forward to it. Yes we could meet at Gatwick as I am not worried about navigating Gatwick - its getting off at the other end that worries me!  :rolleyes:

Hey what time are you getting to the airport?

Gilligan50
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'wolfmiller' wrote:

'Gilligan50' wrote:

'wolfmiller' wrote:

'Gilligan50' wrote:

Hi Gilligan50 

Gilligan50
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'wolfmiller' wrote:

'Gilligan50' wrote:

'wolfmiller' wrote:

'Gilligan50' wrote:

Hi Gilligan50 

I am going to stay at Gatwick overnight and plan to get there around the 2 hours as advised i.e. 4.45 -5.00! Not long now!!Gill

wolfmiller
(Member)
Can't wait. I'll be there all night as my bus gets in at 12.15 and I didn't see the point of getting a room for just a few hours. So I'll be the zombie walking around ☺ Be great to finally meet you ?
Gilligan50
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'wolfmiller' wrote:

Can't wait. I'll be there all night as my bus gets in at 12.15 and I didn't see the point of getting a room for just a few hours. So I'll be the zombie walking around ☺ Be great to finally meet you ?

it was lovely to meet you. hope you had a safe journey back.

G