KWW
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello All,

I am thinking of doing this trip in May...which would be my first solo holiday.  Has anyone done this trip/ planning to do this trip? If so I am wondering how fast the walking pace is...I walk with a group and we do around 6 + miles cross country in around 2 to 21/2 hours while chatting and taking in the scenery, is this typical walking level or is this trip for fast pacers!? (*I am 60 but walk fairly regularly)

Also is the Condor ferry actually a ferry and not a hydrofoil or hovercraft?  I am more than happy with an actual ferry/ boat in most conditions, but not hovercraft etc    I would be interested to hear if anyone can help.

Many thanks, Ann

Chris84
(Member)
'KWW' wrote:

Hello All,

I am thinking of doing this trip in May...which would be my first solo holiday.  Has anyone done this trip/ planning to do this trip? If so I am wondering how fast the walking pace is...I walk with a group and we do around 6 + miles cross country in around 2 to 21/2 hours while chatting and taking in the scenery, is this typical walking level or is this trip for fast pacers!? (*I am 60 but walk fairly regularly)

Also is the Condor ferry actually a ferry and not a hydrofoil or hovercraft?  I am more than happy with an actual ferry/ boat in most conditions, but not hovercraft etc    I would be interested to hear if anyone can help.

Many thanks, Ann

Hi Ann 

Welcome to the website. Head out on one trip, and you develop and addiction. 

I think this is a new trip with JY. 

However I live in Jersey, so I might be biased. But you would love it here and the walks in the intinary are wonderful, especially the North Coast.  You won't notice the time flying by, and each of the bays has the capacity to facilitate 'pitstops'  

Condor operates high speed car ferries, not hovercraft or hydrofoil. It has to cross the  English Channel, not the Solent!  😉  Just a caution though, last year Condor had a lot of....problems with the Poole route. It was very unreliable. Even if its the only ferry service provider to the islands from the UK I wouldn't use Condor if there was an option to fly. 

Chris

JohnL
  • (Member)
(Member)
Ann I've not done this trip but have done some others and your walking pace would be fine, if not a touch above average, for a typical group.

I used to live in Jersey and have done every variation of ferry crossing. The Poole - Jersey ferry offered for the holiday is operated by a 'fast craft'. This is a large wave piercing catamaran, there are two on the fleet, one is 86 meters long & the other 102 meters so they are pretty substantial. They do not operate in very rough weather (force 8+) but in moderate to rough seas they have a short pitched 'chop' action rather than the 'heave' of a conventional ferry, most people do not have any problem with this. In calmer seas they are very comfortable. There is also a convention ferry that operates from Portsmouth but that take 11 hours via Guernsey to Jersey, & returns overnight. There is more at condorferries.co.uk.

Jersey is a lovely Island & the walks look good, I'm sure you would enjoy it.

KWW
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Chris and John,

Thank you for your helpful replies to my post. I have now booked the Walking In Jersey trip for May this year. I am looking forward to going, and keeping fit with walking and lane swimming!! I will go by ferry and I have good 'sea legs' apart from hydrofoils etc! and Poole ferrry port is very easy access for me. I am looking forward to exploring the coastal path there, and thank you both for your encouragement as this is my first solo trip.

Best wishes,

Ann