beckythesnakelady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, everyone, my name is Becky and I've been haunting these forums for the last year at least, considering booking my first Just You holiday! I've finally plucked up the courage to join and I'm very interested in booking a holiday for 2018, I'm considering Thailand.

I just had a couple of questions if anyone has any advice for me?

I am a vegetarian, do you think this will be an issue in a place like Thailand? I certainly don't expect gourmet dining, I'm just worried about going hungry as I tend to have quite an appetite! :blush: I noticed in the brochure there were some meals of meat broth, etc so I was just wondering if a veggie could be catered for.

Secondly, I note on this tour that there are two overnight flights. Unfortunately I really struggle to sleep on planes! (I flew overnight from NYC once and managed about an hour - I can't say it was particularly restful.) I'm not too bothered about flying overnight on the way home, because I can just go to sleep when I get home, but I'm concerned about being too tired to enjoy myself on the first day of the tour! Are there any other non-plane-sleepers out there with any advice? Are the first days generally quite easy going for those of us wandering about like zombies, or do you think I'd be better off looking at a tour with day flights?

Thanks!

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Becky,

I haven't been to Thailand although I've been to much of SE Asia and generally being a vegetarian wouldn't be a problem in this region - if you mention this when booking and also when you meet the tour manager, he/she will ensure that you have veggie meals - however Asian food usually comprises of a number of vegetarian dishes as well as meat ones so even with the general food I'd say you'd be ok - included meals tend to be like a "set meal" style where numerous dishes are produced for people to share.  And of course, if it's not an included meal, you can order a vegetarian dish yourself.

Thailand is definitely on my wish list and the new JY tour is at an extremely reasonable price - I'd say, book it soon before the price goes up!!

Regarding flights, most people sleep fairly poorly on long haul flights - I'd be lucky if I got around four hours on a 12 hour flight.  The group would obviously be fairly wrecked on arrival and there is usually time to freshen up when you reach the hotel.  On the odd JY tour, some sightseeing is included on the way to the hotel (if it's an early morning arrival and the hotel rooms wouldn't be ready) but as everyone is in the same boat one way or the other, you will be fine.  I certainly wouldn't let this put you off.  I have to take piriton in hot climates to avoid getting prickly heat, so I'm drowsy the whole time I'm away anyhow!!!

Cheers,

Bob

DavidG
(Member)
Hello Becky,

I too suffer from jet lag. My GP suggested melatonin which i used this year when I went to Burma and it worked well. You can obtain on the net from America. If you can afford it, upgrading flight also helps.

Several in our group had also been to Thailand and preferred Burma. We also had vegetarians in our group who managed OK, just let your Tour Manager know.

beckythesnakelady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you for the advice! I was just a bit concerned about jetlag as I haven't travelled this far to the east before, and the arrival in Thailand looks to be early so could be a very tiring first day. I will give it some thought but this tour does look good and I agree it appears to be good value.
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Becky

I am a vegetarian and have been on quite a few Just You holidays, both short and long haul, and never had any problems getting vegetarian food. I have been to Bangkok years ago, not with Just You, and had no problem finding vegetarian food. I too do not sleep well on a plane but to date have had no problems. When I went to Costa Rica/Nicaragua in March, we left LHR around 10:25 in the morning and by the time we arrived in San Jose, it was 5.00 a.m. UK time ((11:00 pm local time) and none of us had any problems on the next day. Usually you do not start too early on the next day.

Regards

Jaya