PaulaH
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I've booked to go to Borneo later this year and really looking forward to it. However I'm now thinking about the Singapore Add on.......

It seems quite a lot of money for three extra days, so would be really stretching the budget to include it. 

I've had mixed reviews on whether Singapore is worth it from people I know - some have raved about it, others have said not for that money.

Anyone who has done the Add on or been at another time - 

What are your views of Singapore? Is it worth it for the money? 

Do I really stretch the funds to the limit or save for another trip?

Any views or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paula

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Paula,

I did the Borneo trip in May with the Singapore add-on. I spent part of my childhood in Singapore, but it is a totally different city now, and I treated it as such then. For me it was definitely worth it. There is so much to do - Gardens by the Bay is fabulous and Singapore Zoo is one of the best in the world. It is not one of the cheapest cities to eat out in. It is worth taking a bumboat to really see the city, and also going up to the top of the Marina Bay Sands hotel (57th floor!) for incredible sights.

Is it worth it for the money? It was for me. Are you likely to visit Singapore again? I always do the add-on with my long haul JY trips, as I may never come back that way, and I want to see it all!

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Paula,

I did Borneo with the Singapore add-on with Hils last May and have to agree with all she's said about Singapore. In addition to the sights that Hils has mentioned, you can visit the different areas of the city such as Little India and the Arab quarter, as well as the Botanical Gardens, St Andrew's Cathedral, Clarke Quay, Boat Quay and of course the wonderful Raffles Hotel for a Singapore Sling! For those interested in history, I can also recommend a visit to The Battlebox, the Allies underground headquarters prior to the fall of Singapore during WW2.

So, there's lots to see and do in three days and for me it was definitely worth it. As Hils says, I may never pass that way again so I wanted to see as much as I could. Would I go back?...yes, I really enjoyed it and would consider a stop-over, if for example, I booked JY's trip to Oz.

My advice would be to book it and enjoy!

Cheers

Mike

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Paula,

I agree with Hils! I was on the same tour and did the Singapore add-on - I had never been there before and didn't really know what to expect.  The highlight of the whole tour was obviously the three days at the lodges in Borneo, but for me, the add-on in Singapore came a very close second.  It is a beautiful city, very clean, with some fascinating architecture and relics from its colonial past.  The Gardens by the Bay, the orchid gardens at the Botanical Gardens and Singapore Zoo are a must - having breakfast with the orang-utans was a great experience and visiting Raffles and having an obligatory Singapore Sling good fun!  The city is a little pricey for eating out, but the food is excellent.  I am so glad I went and would happily return one day.  I would definitely go for it!!

All the best,

Bob

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Paula

I was also on the Borneo with Singapore add on with Hils, Mike and Bob, having been to Singapore twice previously some 20 years ago I had No Hesitation revisiting, as you are out that way its a must, like a mini holiday within a holiday, I very much enjoyed all the city had to offer especially the fantastic Gardens by the Bay, Botanical gardens, the Zoo which was fantastic and of course our Singapore Sling in the fab Raffles Long Bar, eating can be expensive but the city does budget for all and there are reasonable priced eating places also, the Clarke Quay area is lovely and bustling at night, also do the bumboat along the river you will see the merlion but you can also walk to that and the Raffles statue, a lovely walk along the river, tickets for the bumboat are easily purchased from the booking booth at the Quay, the metro is also easy to navigate, if your into shops head to orchard road, the city is so modern and easy to get around and the wonderful light and laser show from the Marina Bay Sands although I may think that be better viewed from ground level

def book the add on, you'll regret it if others are doing it and your heading home

all the best

Dave

jayli
  • (Member)
(Member)
'PaulaH' wrote:

I've booked to go to Borneo later this year and really looking forward to it. However I'm now thinking about the Singapore Add on.......

It seems quite a lot of money for three extra days, so would be really stretching the budget to include it. 

I've had mixed reviews on whether Singapore is worth it from people I know - some have raved about it, others have said not for that money.

Anyone who has done the Add on or been at another time - 

What are your views of Singapore? Is it worth it for the money? 

Do I really stretch the funds to the limit or save for another trip?

Any views or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paula

Hello Paula

> Anyone who has done the Add on or been at another time - What are your views of Singapore?

I am another one who went on the first Borneo trip and stayed for the Singapore add-on: I love the place, and I can endorse what has already been said.

Most people I know who have been there dismiss it as not being very "Asian" because it is so much better developed than most if not all of Asia, but it displays a fascinating mix of cultures with much ethnic/religious diversity and tolerance - so it is also a good place to visit for anyone who has never been to Asia before.

For those interested in wildlife (and you presumably are if you are going to Borneo) then a major attraction is the Zoo which, with its River Safari (including a pair of giant pandas!), the unique Night Safari and the nearby Jurong Bird Park, is one of the best in the world. There is also a fine botanical garden, with a large display of orchids. And of course it is a shopaholic's paradise: if you are one, then start saving now!

This was my second visit. I looked at Singapore last October and decided that there was enough of interest to justify a whole week there, so I went independently (very easy to do): after six full days (and two half days) I still hadn't seen everything I wanted to, so the add-on was for me a no-brainer.

> Is it worth it for the money?

It was for me. Yes, it is expensive, especially for just three days, and a full week would be better (although the travel there and back is already paid for with the add-on:-), so that is really up to you - but there is a good selection of guided tours, and you can still see a great deal in the time available. A substantial part of the cost must be due to the hotel room and the need for single occupancy - but the hotel is very comfortable and well-situated, and one can pay much more in Singapore. If you don't think you are likely to go that way again, then definitely go for it.

If you do decide to go, you'll certainly enjoy it - and you will of course love Borneo!

Jim

PS - Incidentally, much the same can be said for Hong Kong, which is conveniently situated as an add-on for holidays in mainland China and elsewhere - and also worth a full week in its own right.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Paula

I too was on the same trip and totally agree with Hils, Bob, Mike and Dave. There is lots to do in Singapore and Gardens by the Bay are a must. Also, I loved the Orchid Gardens as Orchids are my favourite flower. I have never seen such an amazing display. I had visited Singapore, I think in 1997, and am glad that I did the add-on. It was great to see how much it has changed!

Jaya

PaulaH
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for all the info.

You are all making it sound very tempting. - looks like I'm going to have to seriously look at the finances and see where I can scrape the money from!! (I may be living on toast for the next few months!!)

The website doesn't give much away as to what is actually included with the Add on - are there any excursions / meals etc.....included??

Thanks

Paula

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Paula

A full day excursion is included and the hotel is bed and breakfast - buffet breakfast is quite substantial. If I remember correct I think lunch was included on the full day excursion.

Regards

Jaya

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi again Paula,

You could do what we did on our tour and ask the tour manager if it is possible for Buffalo Tours, the local tour company, to offer some additional excursions.  Our TM was most helpful with this and when we arrived in Singapore, the local rep from Buffalo Tours had a personalised itinerary for each one of us - fantastic service!  It meant that I was pretty much occupied the whole time I was in Singapore and I got to see the best it has to offer.

Cheers,

Bob

rosehoward
(Member)
My view is that Singapore is definitely worth it especially if you may not be that way again.    I made stopovers twice in the past en route to Australia and to New Zealand - by myself.   It broke up the journey and added something more to seeing those other places.    There is so much to do and see and I found it easy to get around.  |I found the humidity difficult to cope with, so only stayed each time for two nights both on the outward journey and on the return, and also went to various (air conditioned) museums.   A tip I picked up from the internet was to take a sweater if you go to the Gardens at the Bay, as the hothouses are very cool.    AbbaDave (I think it was) mentioned the light show at Marine Bay.     That is great but there is an even better one at the Gardens  by the Bay - it was very special.  If you time it right you can get to see both in the same evening - I didnt do so.    I got lots of information online and made my own itinerary