choccork
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi All,

I'm going on the Borneo holiday next week and starting to panic about what luggage to take and I'm hoping someone can help me! 

I'm okay on the main luggage, but it's the hand luggage that's got me baffled! Here's what I'm taking in hand luggage:

2 cameras - 1 large, 1 compact

binoculars

a medium bag of medication (imodium etc.)

a pair of shoes

a change of clothes

underwear

I'd originally thought of a small flight bag on wheels, but then wondered if a ruck sack would be better. But I've got a bad back, plus I'm always worried that pick pockets will help themselves to the contents. 

We've got an 8 hour layover out bound and inbound and I don't want to be hampered with luggage. 

So you see my dilemma....please can someone help, as I'm really stuck!

Many thanks

Kate

Dina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Morning Kate

Look under share your Travel Tips. First post by Mick W. "Hand luggage" last post was on 10/10/16. Lots of excellent advice regarding hand luggage.

I always take a ruck sack as hand luggage.

The Borneo tour is excellent. I went in May.

I hope you have a super holiday and as many "sightings" as we did.

Kind regards

Di

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Kate

I did this trip with Singapore add on in May this year

i don't see a problem with what your carrying in your hand luggage, i would question the shoes but however i'm male and they don't weigh much, what your taking is pretty much what i took with a few more bits n bobs, pack a rain coat or better still a poncho and a small holdall to take to the lodges but you can take your whole luggage with you on the boat which is about an hour and a half from Sandakan by speedboat to the jungle

8 hopurs in Singapore will pass very quickly as yopu can get the Tram to other Terminals to see the Orchard garden and Butterfly farm etc, your main luggage will be checked straight through to KK

have fun you'll love this tour hope you see lots of wildlife as we did, any questions please ask as there are several of us on this forum who could answer

all the best

Dave

AbbaDave
(Member)
sallyc
(Member)
I always take a rucksack as hand luggage so it can double up as a daysack on trips out.
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Kate,

I agree with the others and always take a mini rucksack, which I use as my day-bag like Sally.  A poncho would be very helpful when you are at the lodges but you would also have the opportunity to buy one at the markets in Kota Kinabalu - definitely bring a lightweight rainproof jacket with a hood if you have one.  It will be very hot and humid but it's all part of the adventure.

I hope you have a marvellous time on this tour as I did.

All the best,

Bob

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Kate

I too use a back pack (ruck sack) as my hand luggage as I find it is easier to manage than carry on wheeled bags or ordinary bags. I try not to pack too much as I have to leave room for the water which I purchase at the airport!

You will love Borneo. I was there in May with Bob, Dave and Dina and we had a lovely time.

Jaya

Toni2909
(Member)
Hi Kate - sounds sensible to me, in terms of hand baggage. We might be able to stash it somewhere during the stop-over anyway - left luggage or something.

Are you at the Premier Inn, Bath Road, the night before? Want to join Ian and I? I will be booking a dinner table for 6.30 pm and we plan to meet in the bar beforehand.

Our adventure is not far away now!!

Toni

choccork
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks everyone for your advice, I've bought a rucksack to take with me 🙂 

I can't wait for this holiday, counting the hours to departure !!

choccork
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Toni2909' wrote:

Hi Kate - sounds sensible to me, in terms of hand baggage. We might be able to stash it somewhere during the stop-over anyway - left luggage or something.

Are you at the Premier Inn, Bath Road, the night before? Want to join Ian and I? I will be booking a dinner table for 6.30 pm and we plan to meet in the bar beforehand.

Our adventure is not far away now!!

Toni

Hi Toni, 

Yes I'm staying there!

My flight gets in at 4pm ish, so I should easily make dinner, see you then  :shy:

Kate

Toni2909
(Member)
See you in the bar, then. I will be the one looking very excited!!
TimH
  • (Member)
(Member)
'choccork' wrote:

Hi All,

I'm going on the Borneo holiday next week and starting to panic about what luggage to take and I'm hoping someone can help me! 

I'm okay on the main luggage, but it's the hand luggage that's got me baffled! Here's what I'm taking in hand luggage:

binoculars

a pair of shoes

a change of clothes

underwear

I'd originally thought of a small flight bag on wheels, but then wondered if a ruck sack would be better. But I've got a bad back, plus I'm always worried that pick pockets will help themselves to the contents. 

We've got an 8 hour layover out bound and inbound and I don't want to be hampered with luggage. 

Many thanks

Kate

Kate

http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-experience/attractions-and-services/free-singapore-tour.html  plus theres a load more information about the airport and things to do on teh site, they do have luggage lockers if you need to leave luggage while you go off.

Tim

choccork
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'TimH' wrote:

'choccork' wrote:

Hi All,

binoculars

a pair of shoes

a change of clothes

underwear

Many thanks

Kate

Kate

http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-experience/attractions-and-services/free-singapore-tour.html  plus theres a load more information about the airport and things to do on teh site, they do have luggage lockers if you need to leave luggage while you go off.

Tim

Thanks very much for the info Tim 🙂