dian harrison
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have booked to go on this cruise in October this year.

Has anyone been before-any advice or comments please?

Thanks

XtineB
(Member)
Hi Dian,

I've just booked for the February 2017 date.

This is my 1st time travelling with JY & also my 1st time to Burma. I have, however, been on a Pandaw cruise before with another operator, on the Rajang river in Borneo (cruise no longer operates). The fact that I'm going on another one shows that I liked it! It's an excellent way to travel -- you get out into the villages to meet local people, & get to see the wildlife, temples etc, whilst being extremely well-treated by the crew. It's also great in such a humid climate to have an air-conditioned cabin, your laundry done for you (if it's like the Borneo trip) & lots of good, local food cooked on the boat.

On the earlier trip it was sometimes quite challenging getting on and off the boat, & especially when transferring to a small boat for a side-trip. But the crew are always there to help you. Walking in the jungle was also often strenuous, but again there was always somebody to assist.

The only thing I didn't like on the other trip I did was the fact that nearly everyone else was part of a couple, & with such small numbers that was quite limiting (even though most of fellow passengers were lovely & welcoming to me). This time this shouldn't be a problem! By the way, most of my fellow travellers had already been on the Irrawaddy river, & they all loved it!

The Pandaw.com website is very helpful. As far as I can tell, we are doing the Mandalay Pagan Packet tour, but with some variation.

I look forward to finding out more myself when other JY people have done this cruise!

Would be happy to hear from others doing this trip!

Christine

PollyO
(Member)
'XtineB' wrote:

Hi Dian,

I've just booked for the February 2017 date.

This is my 1st time travelling with JY & also my 1st time to Burma. I have, however, been on a Pandaw cruise before with another operator, on the Rajang river in Borneo (cruise no longer operates). The fact that I'm going on another one shows that I liked it! It's an excellent way to travel -- you get out into the villages to meet local people, & get to see the wildlife, temples etc, whilst being extremely well-treated by the crew. It's also great in such a humid climate to have an air-conditioned cabin, your laundry done for you (if it's like the Borneo trip) & lots of good, local food cooked on the boat.

On the earlier trip it was sometimes quite challenging getting on and off the boat, & especially when transferring to a small boat for a side-trip. But the crew are always there to help you. Walking in the jungle was also often strenuous, but again there was always somebody to assist.

The only thing I didn't like on the other trip I did was the fact that nearly everyone else was part of a couple, & with such small numbers that was quite limiting (even though most of fellow passengers were lovely & welcoming to me). This time this shouldn't be a problem! By the way, most of my fellow travellers had already been on the Irrawaddy river, & they all loved it!

The Pandaw.com website is very helpful. As far as I can tell, we are doing the Mandalay Pagan Packet tour, but with some variation.

I look forward to finding out more myself when other JY people have done this cruise!

Would be happy to hear from others doing this trip!

Christine

Hi Christine,

I am also on this trip. It will be my 6th with JY.  Always had a great time and have visited some amazing places.  

Don't normally book this far in advance, but I think this trip is very popular.

Polly