Littlepaul66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Everyone

I'm booked on the Canada and New England tour on September 23rd and I've just been on the BA website and found that we have a flight change. I've contacted JY and they have confirmed the flight change. The flight is now leaving at 19:45 instead of 16:40 as originally booked. As I'm flying down from Manchester earlier that day I nkw find myself having to spend 5 hours in Heathrow. I think I'd best bring a book to read.

Paul

daveJB
(Member)
Hi, Paul, 3 hours later to me would be better than 3 hours earlier, that gives you more time to relax and there will be other JY travellers to look out for and get to know while you wait. I'm sure it won't spoil your holiday.

Dave.

wanny
  • (Member)
(Member)
I had a updated letter today but didn't notice flight change thought was just that a added on Cape. Now I'm. Worried but I'm sure the flight there wasn't changed..and I'm at work so can't see it again
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Paul

I love 'people watching' and you will be surprised how quickly time flies by! Also, there are lots of shops and other outlets at Heathrow Airport. At least Heathrow Airport is big and you will not get too bored. When I went to Calabria last year, our return flight was delayed by a few hours and we were flying out from Naples. That airport is so small and there was not much to see as most shops closed and there were only a couple of food outlets. I have never queued for so long just to get a bottle of water and a slice of pizza!

Jaya

Littlepaul66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Everyone

Thanks for your replies. Yes it could be worse having to arrive 3 hours earlier and I know there are plenty of shops at Heathrow. I'll be able to take a few photo's of planes for my young nephew who's an avid plane spotter. I won't be bored that's for sure. As there is no lounge at terminal 5 I may find it difficult spotting other JY travellers on this tour as Heathrow Terminal 5 is such a big place but you never know.

Paul

Mick W
(Member)
Hi Paul,

19-45 is far too late to be flying across the Atlantic in my opinion, its virtually losing a day off your holiday.

As someone that has done a few holidays over the pond i think lunchtime departures at the latest should be considered. I worried that we seem to be getting a trend of arriving at the destination later and later, please JY look into this as its putting me (and others that i've spoken to) off booking certain trips.

Mick

wanny
  • (Member)
(Member)
so far my flight hasn't been changed, rung jy last night just to confirm. how do you check flight times? I tried using the confirmation code but wouldn't let me in on the ba homepage
SarahS
(Member)
Absolutely agree Mick.
Littlepaul66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mick and Sarah

The original flight was OK as it was due to leave at 16:40 and as I'm flying down from Manchester it saved an overnight stay. Now with this 19:45 flight I estimate with flight time and customs we won't get to our hotel until just before midnight local time. No doubt we will have to be up early the next day for our tour of Boston I guess all we will be doing on arrival at our hotel is going to bed.

Can someone at JY please explain why there is a flight change?

Paul

(Member)
Hi Paul,

The airline do not give us a reason for any schedule change unfortunately. They do not even advise us directly. In the event of a schedule change they move passengers to the closest available and suitable time, which explains the late flight time unfortunately.

Sorry, we can’t be of any more help.

Kindest regards,

Monty

Mick W
(Member)
Monty,

I apreciate JY can't do anything if the airline changes the timings.

However to me even the origional flight time of 16-40 is too late, if everything goes well people would arrive at the hotel i suspect around 9pm.

Their are lots of flights travelling across the pond and where possible on trips i do i would like to arrive at my hotel mid-afternoon, gives you time to have a rest, freshen up, explore area near hotel and more importantly go out for a nice meal. It is part of the holiday in my opinion.

If travelling long haul and coming from up north i tend to stay over at the airport night before, would much rather be travelling and get to the destination than hanging around at heathrow or gatwick.

Flight times departing late morning or very early afternoon makes most sense, there are connecting flights from most UK airports to catch these for those happy travelling down in the morning.

Just my opinion as i want to make the most out of my holidays and not waste a full day.

Mick

(Member)
Hi Mick,

I completely understand and we all share your frustration here at JY, but unfortunately we have to go by what the airlines do/say I'm afraid.

Kindest regards,

Monty

Littlepaul66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Monty

I've just been looking at a website regarding flight delays and cancellations and it looks like when I return to the UK I shall be making a claim from BA for compensation.

I understand that JY has no control over flights but I do agree with what Mick said about flights to the USA. The 16:40 flight was just about manageable allowing time on arrival for a quick bite to eat or maybe a drink or 2. Now we will arrive at midnight if we are lucky and with a tour the next morning all we will be doing on arrival is going to bed.

Paul

Mick W
(Member)
'Moderator' wrote:

Hi Mick,

I completely understand and we all share your frustration here at JY, but unfortunately we have to go by what the airlines do/say I'm afraid.

Kindest regards,

Monty

Monty,

I'm not sure thats always the case, last year on the heart & soul holiday i asked if i could go on a earlier flight. At the time was told BA didn't allow group bookings on the earlier flight.

Then to my surprise i found out a Travelsphere group on a similar trip were all on the earlier flight.

Felt like we were 2nd class citizens.

On that same note would it be possible to have provisional flight times on the website. This was displayed until the updated site and think many of us found it useful.

Thanks

Mick

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
First USA tour I went on we got in late and really was a question of keys quick chat about times for the next day and bed..NOT GOOD, I know flight times can change but I Would never start off knowing I have a late departure the earlier the better for me.

Last year when I did Canada and USA it was a morning flight, Hubby dropped me at LHR before he went to work.

Think I was at the airport for 8am check in

Cindy

wanny
  • (Member)
(Member)
Shame won't get to hotel till 9 pm but can have a drink then bed. My venice flight it says on the ba Web site it's 6.40 a or something. That's very early means I have to get a hotel near Gatwick north (know any good hotels there?)
Mick W
(Member)
'wanny' wrote:

Shame won't get to hotel till 9 pm but can have a drink then bed. My venice flight it says on the ba Web site it's 6.40 a or something. That's very early means I have to get a hotel near Gatwick north (know any good hotels there?)

Wanny,

Gatwick North terminal both the Sofitel & Premier inn north are very close (2 min walk). If you go for the Premier Inn make sure its the right one "north" as a few in the area.

Mick

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Sofitel is very expensive from what I have heard! We always do meet and greet pull up in car and they take the car from you when you land you ring by the time your out of the terminal they are there saves so much messing around...

Cindy

SarahS
(Member)
I would definitely recommend the Premier Inn at Gatwick North terminal. Just a two minute walk to the check in area for north terminal, or a quick monorail journey onto the south.
katy1717
(Member)
'Mick wrote:

'Moderator' wrote:

Hi Mick,

Kindest regards,

Monty

Monty,

I'm not sure thats always the case, last year on the heart & soul holiday i asked if i could go on a earlier flight. At the time was told BA didn't allow group bookings on the earlier flight.

Then to my surprise i found out a Travelsphere group on a similar trip were all on the earlier flight.

Felt like we were 2nd class citizens.

On that same note would it be possible to have provisional flight times on the website. This was displayed until the updated site and think many of us found it useful.

Thanks

Mick

Monty, absolutely agree with Mick about the provisional flight times on the website - it was very useful. I now find myself ringing JY to find out the flight times of the tours I'm interested in. Depending on the timing of the flight you may have to add a night in a hotel and this adds to the cost of the holiday and it is useful to know this before booking. Also agree with late flight times across to the USA, really inconvenient. AND the very early flight times to Italy for most of the holidays there - often 6am or so - mean I have discounted doing any of these tours, it would add a day to my holiday - unless you live very close to Gatwick you need to get there the day before, and it all means a day more of holiday to take and more money.

Are the very early flights cheaper for JY? and thus their advertised holiday price less? Would rather pay a little more to fly later as would gain overall from not having to pay for a nights stay near Gatwick.

From what Mick says, ie that Travelsphere get different treatment, think I will ring up and find out the flight timings of their Italy holidays - so can consider doing their trips.

Katy