wanny
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
this is my first trip away for 2 weeks to America/Canada and I have bought a large suitcase. but now thinking its to big! please help!
sjm533
(Member)
'wanny' wrote:

this is my first trip away for 2 weeks to America/Canada and I have bought a large suitcase. but now thinking its to big! please help!

Hi Wanny

If you go to BA's website - ba.com - you can find baggage allowances and sizes on there. For Europe the maximum size for the hold, as I understand it, is 35.5" x 29.5" x 16", so I don't suppose transatlantic would be smaller.

Hope this helps

Sylvia

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
At the end of the day it's the weight as well to worry about, for the USA tours I pack a large hold-all in the main case that conforms to overhead bin size in the cabin as I always buy on a USA tour for three grandchildren and would be over the weight allowance, doing it this way I get the best of both worlds...it's the only time I use over head bins with a large bag..

Cindy

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Last November I had to take out a load from my suitcase as I was way over the weight. Bottles weigh a ton but you are not allowed them in hand luggage :@

I spent about 30 minutes at New Orleans trying to lose 8 kgs that had to go into hand luggage. I bought 2 extra bags to pack everything in which still had to go in the overhead racks 😞 The fact that I was not the only one as the man at the desk was going to put a Frankfurt label onto my case, luckily I stopped him.

Someone had a portable weighing scales at the hotel, wished I had used it as it stopped me from looking at New Orleans airport properly :(

Jan

Toni2909
(Member)
I just treated myself to a super lightweight Aerolite suitcase, describing itself as "large". I just like to take loads of clothing options with me when I travel, even for an 8 day trip to Europe.

Having panicked while reading the dimensions quoted above by Sylvia, I can rest easy. My new case is nowhere near to the maximum size quoted. You must be able to buy super-large cases somewhere, I guess, if they feel the need to quote such a huge maximum size.

Toni

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I personally like to take a medium sized suitcase as at the end of the day it is me who has to lift/carry it. With weight restrictions nowadays, I find that 24" suitcase is enough for me. I have learnt over the years and plan my holiday wardrobe carefully to avoid taking lots of unnecessary clothes and this saves on all the washing and ironing!! I have bought some scales and weigh my suitcase before leaving home to make sure there is some spare weight for souveniers etc on the return flight.

Jaya

Mike21
(Member)
I thought when I saw this Subject it was bound to be about the new carry-on baggage sizes but nobody’s mentioned them so I’ll chip in my tuppenceworth as it’s very important and may even interest you, wanny? (Maybe it’s been posted elsewhere?)

The carry-on size has been quite severely reduced with 10cm being lopped off the width allowed and 5cm off the depth, giving new dimensions of 55cm x 35cm x 20cm (or 21.6” x 13.8” x 7.87” in old money). The airline industry’s reasoning is to “ease congestion in the overhead bins” or to put it less politely, to stop those selfish travellers who think they can cram huge bags and cases in above their seat and to heck with others’ bags and souvenirs etc.

So thanks to them, we all suffer. Still, main hold luggage is not affected sizewise nor weight limit reduced – yet. My source of information didn’t suggest any date, simply adding that the old size “will no longer be accepted” by “several carriers” (naming Lufthansa, Qatar and Emirates “among them”), so it seems to be with immediate effect.

FYI, the old maximum size was 56cm x 45cm x25cm (or 22.04” x 17.7” x 9.84”).

sjm533
(Member)
'Toni2909' wrote:

I just treated myself to a super lightweight Aerolite suitcase, describing itself as "large". I just like to take loads of clothing options with me when I travel, even for an 8 day trip to Europe.

Having panicked while reading the dimensions quoted above by Sylvia, I can rest easy. My new case is nowhere near to the maximum size quoted. You must be able to buy super-large cases somewhere, I guess, if they feel the need to quote such a huge maximum size.

Toni

Sorry Toni, didn't mean to panic anyone. If I had a suitcase that size and it was full I would not be able to lift it.

Sylvia

PaulineD
(Member)
I take my suitcse to the local vets to get it weighed, very accurate!!
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Pauline

Your local vet must be very close to you!

Jaya

PaulineD
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Pauline

Your local vet must be very close to you!

Jaya

Hi Jaya,

Yes just down the road in Hitchin and my cousin works there. Very handy and the scales have to be accurate for wieghing the animals!! On very good terms with all the staff now!!

PaulineD