Maggiebro
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am going to Berlin in May and because the flight departs from Heathrow I am travelling down by train to Kings Cross the day before.Can any one help a bewildered country girl! with the best way to get to Terminal 5 and also how much time should I allow to get back to Kings cross on my return. At the moment the arrival time back at Heathrow is 18.00

Thank you

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
You will have to allow time to get from Kings Cross to Heathrow. There are two options - you can take the Piccadilly Line tube from St Pancras to Heathrow or take the Hammersmith and City Line from St Pancras to Paddington to get the Heathrow Express which take around 20 minutes. The tube takes longer, but will be cheaper - I have never used it so can't tell exactly how long (perhaps 45 minutes +). I would allow more time rather then less in case of any flight delays etc. St Pancras is near Kings Cross. I personally always allow plenty of travel time as one never knows if there will be any problems or delays. You say that you are travelling to Kings Cross the day before so I am presuming you are staying somewhere in London? Hope you have a lovely time in Berlin.

Jaya

Mick W
(Member)
Have done the tube from Kings cross/st pancras to heathrow on the Picadilly line, its direct with no changes and takes just under one hour.

Mick

wesspan
(Member)
Hello, I have also booked the May trip to Berlin and spending the night before in London.

The cheapest option is probably taking the tube - I plan to stay at a hotel close to the Picadilly line (direct/ quicker) so there's less hassle in the morning.

You can check approximate travel times via the Transport for London website, though I don't think they have times for May yet!

wanny
  • (Member)
(Member)
i think I may go this way in September.. as we used to have a bus that came every hour and went to heathrow.. but now I need it its stopped!
sallyc
(Member)
The general rule for timings on the tube is to allow 3 minutes per stop so around an hour from Kings X to T5. Don't forget that the tube has lots of steps as well as escalators so if you are planning on bringing a large suitcase make sure you avoid travelling at rush hour.
Paul_W
(Member)
Hi Maggie

It seems you will have plenty of time to buy an Oyster card at Kings Cross but you can buy one in advance online:

www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster

Enjoy Berlin

Paul

----------------------

I am going to Berlin in May and because the flight departs from Heathrow I am travelling down by train to Kings Cross the day before.Can any one help a bewildered country girl! with the best way to get to Terminal 5 and also how much time should I allow to get back to Kings cross on my return. At the moment the arrival time back at Heathrow is 18.00

Thank you

TimH
  • (Member)
(Member)
Kings Cross to Heathrow by tube takes about an hour, I believe there are lifts at Kings Cross, so although you could save a few minutes by going to Paddington and taking the Heathrow Express, with the changing and the significantly higher cost its probably not worth it; I always take the tube from central london. You have to pay £5 for an oyster card, but you can cash it in when you get back if you are not going to use it again and you get your £5 deposit back along with any credit on the oyster, otherwise you can just buy a standard ticket. Look out for engineering works and delays and industrial action, you can check this out at tfl.gov.uk
DaveT1946
(Member)
You can now use debit cards on the underground instead of oyster cards. Much easier for occasional use.
fleurbyfleur
(Member)
Check your card is 'contactless'. Good grief! Since when was travelling across London so complicated!!??
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Actually travelling across London is not so complicated! Just get a ticket if you are only going to be travelling once to Heathrow.

Jaya

Maggiebro
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Actually travelling across London is not so complicated! Just get a ticket if you are only going to be travelling once to Heathrow.

Jaya

Where do I get a ticket and I have to come back to Kings Cross 4 days later. Do I get an Oyster card or pay as I go.

gillbo
(Member)
Just a thought - when I travel to Heathrow I go via Reading and get the rail air link from there to Heathrow terminals. Its cheap and they run every 20 minutes or so. Arriving back you have to get to the main bus station biut that's easy. Depends on your available rail routes. I also stay in Heathrow airports - they are not too expensive if you shop around for best deals.
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Maggie

You can either purchase a return ticket from your local train station ticket office or when you get to Kings Cross. I know there are machines to purchase the tickets, but I prefer to do so from the ticket office as you can then ask questions and get the cheapest available option. You can get an Oyster card or pay as you go.

Jaya

Paul_W
(Member)
Hi Maggie

I am an occasional Underground user and have used the Oyster card. I have now registered my bank's contactless debit card which should be more convenient:

www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless?intcmp=8257

Regards

Paul