janet taylor
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am interested in going to Alcatraz,does anyone else.I don't really want to go alone

Just you said that day 3 after the Cruise finishes is probably the best time as we would already be at the harbour Thinking of booking for about 2pm .What do you think

Hope to hear from you

Janet

gulliver
(Member)
'janet wrote:

I am interested in going to Alcatraz,does anyone else.I don't really want to go alone

Just you said that day 3 after the Cruise finishes is probably the best time as we would already be at the harbour Thinking of booking for about 2pm .What do you think

Hope to hear from you

Janet

The only company that does Alcatraz trips is Alcatraz cruises of San Francisco. They have a web site but I'm not sure how to put a link on here. Tickets sell out weeks in advance. I went there independently about 3 years ago and wanted to do the day and night tours. I booked 6 weeks in advance and just got a day tour. The night tours had already been sold. They have a very good audio guide for the tour. The commentary is brilliant. Well worth seeing. But BOOK EARLY.

David22
(Member)
Hi Janet

I'm also booked on the October Golden West and was thinking about a trip to Alcatraz as have heard its very good, I'm also doing the harbour tour, so your suggestion about going afterwards so great, perhaps JY Julia could let us know what the itinerary is for the day. Looks like trips go fairly regularly and you need 2-2 1/2 hours and costs $30

David

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi David/Janet

Free time in San Francisco is on day 2 from 2pm or day 3 depending on which Just You excusrions you choose to book.

As Alcatraz is not part of the Just You programme, you'll need to visit www.alcatrazcruises.com to book and they do operate regular trips over to the island.

Kindest regards,

Julia

janet taylor
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'David22' wrote:

Hi Janet

I'm also booked on the October Golden West and was thinking about a trip to Alcatraz as have heard its very good, I'm also doing the harbour tour, so your suggestion about going afterwards so great, perhaps JY Julia could let us know what the itinerary is for the day. Looks like trips go fairly regularly and you need 2-2 1/2 hours and costs $30

David

Hi David

Have asked Julia.if the bay cruise finishes at 12.30 will we have enough time to get to Alcatraz if we book for the 2.10 tour. I have looked on the web site for 8th October at 2.10 there are two types of tickets, not sure what that means. will you look and see what you think

Janet.

David22
(Member)
Hi Janet

I think that other types of tickets are for Seniors (SR) and Juniors (JR) as along with child rates which they seem to split the tickets in to more groups then we do.

2.10 on the 8th sounds fine and should give enough time after the bay cruise. I'm planning to book a ticket it the next day or so and would be great to go with someone else.

David

janet taylor
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'David22' wrote:

Hi Janet

I think that other types of tickets are for Seniors (SR) and Juniors (JR) as along with child rates which they seem to split the tickets in to more groups then we do.

2.10 on the 8th sounds fine and should give enough time after the bay cruise. I'm planning to book a ticket it the next day or so and would be great to go with someone else.

David

Hi David

That's great. I will now book 2.10 on the 8th. Will confirm when I have booked

Janet

David22
(Member)
Janet

Just booked my ticket for the 2:10 trip on 8 October, easy and quick to do.

Looking forward to this and let's hope they let us out afterwards:angel:

Hopefully a few others on the trip may see this post and come along at the time

regards

David

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi David (and all the 6 Oct AGW gang!)

I did this trip with JY back in 2010 (you will have an amazing time!). Unless the itinerary has changed, we had time to do the boat trip and then go on to do Alcatraz in the same afternoon. The wharfs that the two boats leave from are about 5-10 minutes walk apart and for Alcatraz they have a Disney style queuing system, even if you have timed ticket, but they are quite strict if you show up late because it is always busy.

On the other hand, once you are on 'the rock' you are not restricted to a set return time (they will warn you what time the last boat of the day goes back). We had plenty of time to do the guided cell block tour with the warden and also make our way round the rest of the island at our leisure.

Although it is wise to do what you did and book in advance on the website, the Consiege at the hotel is really helpful and will phone up and try to get a late booking for anyone in your group that was undecided before leaving home.

Have a super trip and, if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help.

Mandy

David22
(Member)
Mandy

Thanks for the info. I'd heard from friend that the tour is very good and glad to hear that you enjoyed it and the times work - interesting to know about the queuing system!

Are there any other places you suggest are worth a trip :huh:

I'm definitely doing a trip to the Grand Canyon.

thanks again

David

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi David

This tour is pretty full on but you will have some free time to go off and explore. I'm not sure if the itinerary has changed since I went but I remember that most of my group wished we had longer in San Francisco and less time in Palm Springs because there was much more to see in the former. Having said that, I recommend the Palm Springs ariel tram way (stand in the middle if you aren't good with heights....) but I wouldn't bother with the 'Living Desert' which is basically just a zoo.

Being a fan of maritime history, I loved the chance to go to visit the Queen Mary at Long Beach (we had a hotel right on the harbour but I think you are staying in LA itself). A tip if you go on board - don't take the audio tour because they demand your passport as security for the equipement! (And then leave them in a stack on the desk at the ticket booth - absolutely no security!) Sadly, the world's greatest milk shake place (I'm not kidding) - 'California Shakes' on board the ship closed down a couple of years back but QM is still a great place to see.

Santa Barbara is nice (but personally, I prefered Monterey) and Santa Monica pier is wacky. Tip - if your bus stops on Malibu beach for a comfort break - don't bother unless you are desparate - the stalls appeared to have been designed for the Lollipop Guild so when, er, seated comfortabley, the screen doesn't reach your shoulder so you have the bizarre opportunity to hold a face-to-face conversation with the complete stranger sitting next to you!!

Vegas is completely nuts - you'll love it. The 'Rat Pack' show is cheesey but great fun. The Stratosphere is great - I reckon 3 star for Vegas is 5 star anywhere else- and it's really easy to get the 'Deuce Bus' up and down the Strip when you are exploring alone (get a 24 hour hop on/off ticket - very good value) For the Grand Canyon, I know there are a number of tour options - most of my group did the '3 in 1' which we all thought was really good value and a great experience.

Finally - I know that not every bus stops there but ,when you pass through San Luis Obispo, if you get the chance to go to the Madonna Inn, take it. The place is madder than a box of frogs :-)

So there's a quick snap shot for you - let me know if you have any other questions, but have a great time!

Mandy

ah29
  • (Member)
(Member)
I'm also booked on this trip and am debating on which Grand Canyon option to choose. Has anyone booked already?
janet taylor
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'David22' wrote:

Janet

Just booked my ticket for the 2:10 trip on 8 October, easy and quick to do.

Looking forward to this and let's hope they let us out afterwards:angel:

Hopefully a few others on the trip may see this post and come along at the time

regards

David

Hi David

I have now booked my ticket. Was having some trouble with comp. thin k its ok now.

I am looking for other places to go, will let you know if there is anything of interest. Thought more people would have replied to us, maybe nearer the time.

Janet

turnke
  • (Member)
(Member)
There is a programme about Alcatraz on PBS tonight at 9pm,repeated later

Keith

David22
(Member)
Janet,

That's great news - I've already printed my paper ticket - so I'm good to go and yes I thought that we might have sparked a bit more interest as there are a few other threads regarding this tour, but as you say I'm sure others will do it nearer the time

regards

David

David22
(Member)
'ah29' wrote:

I'm also booked on this trip and am debating on which Grand Canyon option to choose. Has anyone booked already?

Hello

Yes I'm going also going on a Grand Canyon trip, I had initially booked on the Grand Canyon Connoisseur 1/2 day trip, but about to go the whole hog and upgrade to the Grand Voyager with skywalk (which fortunately has nothing to do with going on the wing of aircraft!! - I don't mind heights but do draw the line at some things), as I thought as I'm there must try and see as much as possible. I would also have liked to gone round the Hoover dam, but I don't think time permits, but hopefully will get to see it.

I understand all these trips come with an early start!

David

jackyhopley1
(Member)
RE AMERICA GOLDEN WEST 0CTOBER 6TH

Hi janet and david

Iam booked on this trip.thanks for all the info on alcatraz. i will

also be booking this excursion on 8th at 2.10,have you booked

any shows in vegas?Look forward to meeting you

Jacky

Asti
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi. I'm trying to decide which Grand Canyon trip to do - at the moment it's looking like the Grand Voyager (don't really fancy the Skywalk!), or the Grand Celebration Helicopter Tour which seems to include views of Hoover Dam (which the Grand Voyager trip doesn't mention?). It's a bit confusing so I'm keen to know what others are planning, or what those who have done the trip think.

Also thinking of the Rat Pack show, the San Franciso Bay cruise and the Universal Studios tour. Decisions decisions!

Annette

jackyhopley1
(Member)
RE;America Golden West 6th Oct

Hi Annette.I am thinking of doing The Grand Celebration helicopter Tour, the San Francisco Bay cruise

the Rat Pack show and alcatraz,should be good.

Jacky

ah29
  • (Member)
(Member)
'David22' wrote:

'ah29' wrote:

Hello

Yes I'm going also going on a Grand Canyon trip, I had initially booked on the Grand Canyon Connoisseur 1/2 day trip, but about to go the whole hog and upgrade to the Grand Voyager with skywalk (which fortunately has nothing to do with going on the wing of aircraft!! - I don't mind heights but do draw the line at some things), as I thought as I'm there must try and see as much as possible. I would also have liked to gone round the Hoover dam, but I don't think time permits, but hopefully will get to see it.

I understand all these trips come with an early start!

David

Hi David

I'm favouring the Grand Voyager without the Skywalk - I'm not too good with glass floors! I'd love to see the Hoover Dam too - but you're right, I don't think both are doable on our schedule and the Grand Canyon is a must!

Middle of the night starts are guaranteed by all accounts!

Are you booking any other tours - Universal Studios or a Vegas show?

Avril