Guitarlady
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Anyone going to Iceland for the new year ? I would love to make some pre holiday friends.
Lucinda
(Member)
I'm going too! Really looking forward to it

Lucinda

PeterG
  • (Member)
(Member)
Me too! Mind you my siblings think I'm round the bend, especially when I told them there's only 4 hours of daylight a day.

Anyway how else will I get a chance of seeing the northern lights.

Angelina123
(Member)
'PeterG' wrote:

Me too! Mind you my siblings think I'm round the bend, especially when I told them there's only 4 hours of daylight a day.

Hi. I went to Iceland in January and sometimes the wind is SO cold so take plenty of thermals. It's very icy round the geyser and I fell so take care. The lack of daylight was a bit depressing but it was a good trip. Angelina

Guitarlady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Lucinda' wrote:

I'm going too! Really looking forward to it

Lucinda

Look forward to meeting you.

Karen

Julie White
(Member)
Hello Guitar Lady.

I am coming to Iceland with you and I am really excited. Hoping to see the Northern Lights.

See you there.

Julie :thumbup:

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi All

This is a wonderful trip and you will enjoy it despite the sometimes very cold wind and lack of daylight. I've been to Iceland twice and Finland once and have failed to see the Northern Lights so I wish you luck in seeing them!!!

Regards

Sylvia

Lucinda
(Member)
'Angelina123' wrote:

'PeterG' wrote:

Hi. I went to Iceland in January and sometimes the wind is SO cold so take plenty of thermals. It's very icy round the geyser and I fell so take care. The lack of daylight was a bit depressing but it was a good trip. Angelina

Hi Angelina

Do we need to take any special clothes or shoes with us or did you just wear normal stuff ?

Lucinda

pahill
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Lucinda' wrote:

'Angelina123' wrote:

'PeterG' wrote:

Hi Angelina

Do we need to take any special clothes or shoes with us or did you just wear normal stuff ?

Lucinda

I did Iceland at New Year at the beginning of this year with Just You. Normal UK winter clothes are fine. There was snow on the ground throughout the trip but it wasn't excessively cold.

Oh, and if your briefing pack still says there are currency limits on how much Icelandic cash you can take it - there isn't. Those restrictions put in place after the banking crash came off two years ago and you can take as much as you like in and out.

Guitarlady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Julie wrote:

Hello Guitar Lady.

I am coming to Iceland with you and I am really excited. Hoping to see the Northern Lights.

See you there.

Really pleased that you are coming Julie , look forward to meeting up.

Angelina123
(Member)
'Lucinda' wrote:

'Angelina123' wrote:

'PeterG' wrote:

Hi Angelina

Lucinda

Take padded trousers, thermal long-sleeved vests, warm hats, sturdy snow or walking boots and preferably get some grippers to put on footwear and down jackets. Good luck you will enjoy. Angelina 123

Guitarlady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Julie wrote:

Hello Guitar Lady.

See you there.

Looking forward to meeting you, not long now !

Julie White
(Member)
'Guitarlady' wrote:

'Julie wrote:

Hello Guitar Lady.

See you there.

I know I can't wait. I am getting excited not sure what to wear New Years Eve with it being so cold. :thumbup:

See you soon Julie

Jilly Windy Miller
(Member)
'PeterG' wrote:

Hello Peter, Are you the same Peter I met on the Inspirational China tour which left England on 18th September? If so hello again and well done on going to see the Northern Lights, hope you get some great photos. I think you were one of the group who has inspired me to want to go to South Africa next year so thanks for that.

PeterG
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Jilly wrote:

'PeterG' wrote:

Hello Peter, Are you the same Peter I met on the Inspirational China tour which left England on 18th September? If so hello again and well done on going to see the Northern Lights, hope you get some great photos. I think you were one of the group who has inspired me to want to go to South Africa next year so thanks for that.

Afraid so!. I think you'll enjoy S Africa.

Within the last hour I have booked to go to Chile, Argentina and Brazil next October - that's an even longer flight than going to China.

Guitarlady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
:dodgy:
'Julie wrote:

'Guitarlady' wrote:

'Julie wrote:

Hello Guitar Lady.

See you there.

I know I can't wait. I am getting excited not sure what to wear New Years Eve with it being so cold. :thumbup:

See you soon Julie

Yes Julie I was thinking about that, it's a difficult one, clothes for New Year's Eve ?

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Julie & Guitar Lady

What to wear New Year's Eve? I suggest you wear your posh frock to The Perlan and take your boots, hat, coat, gloves etc which can be stored at your table until required for the trip to the bonfires. You'll soon warm up at the bonfire as it is enormous - we only visited one three years ago. And when you are watching the fireworks, outside if you wish at midnight, you won't notice the cold as you'll be carried away with this spectacular event. Hope this helps.

Sylvia

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
'PeterG' wrote:

'Jilly wrote:

'PeterG' wrote:

Afraid so!. I think you'll enjoy S Africa.

Within the last hour I have booked to go to Chile, Argentina and Brazil next October - that's an even longer flight than going to China.

Hi Peter just read your post and delighted you've booked this tour - I did it with Travelsphere last Sept and had an amazing holiday. I put a review up of it which you might find helpful in some way! You'll get better weather than we did too, which will be an added bonus in Chile/Mendoza. Hope you have a brilliant time!

Cheers,

Bob

Julie White
(Member)
'SylviaJ' wrote:

Hi Julie & Guitar Lady

What to wear New Year's Eve? I suggest you wear your posh frock to The Perlan and take your boots, hat, coat, gloves etc which can be stored at your table until required for the trip to the bonfires. You'll soon warm up at the bonfire as it is enormous - we only visited one three years ago. And when you are watching the fireworks, outside if you wish at midnight, you won't notice the cold as you'll be carried away with this spectacular event. Hope this helps.

Sylvia

Thanks Sylvia for the suggestion. It will be an amazing trip.

I hope you have a fun New Year.

Best wishes Julie:thumbup:

Lucinda
(Member)
Has anyone been able to obtain Icelandic krona? I haven't been able to get any.....just wondered what everyone else was going to take

Lucinda x