jessieros
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello everyone! I'm thinking of booking on the New Year in Iceland trip. Has anyone done this in previous years? Any tips or advice welcome  Best wishes Jessica
AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jessica

If you type 'Iceland' into the search function on the top right of the page, you will find several reviews and tips.

I went on the March 2015 trip and we had a fabulous time. The food is extraordinary and the locals have a wonderfully dry sense of humour. We got lucky and saw an amazing display of Northern Lights.

We were also very lucky with the weather on the whole (although it is absolutely true that you can get all four seasons in the space of an hour there!) but it can be really windy most of the time so don't bother taking an umbrella. Pack layers (you'll be on and off the bus quite a bit), sturdy walking boots and also ice grippers to fit over them (I used a pair of YakTrax which you can buy online)

Happy to help if you've got other questions once you've read the reviews

All the best

Mandy

Julie White
(Member)
Hello Jessica,

I did this tour a few years ago, at New Year, and I had a fabulous time.  The people are friendly, the food was very good and meal for New Year was excellent.  I don't want to go into too much detail because it nice to experience it for yourself.

I would definitely book it you won't be disappointed.

Regards Julie.

intrepid traveller
(Member)
Did this trip 2011 New Year.  Snow very deep but didn't stop any activities. Saw wonderful Northen Lights. Dipped in the Blue Lagoon in a snow storm - magical.  We celebrated New Year in The Pearl which was amazing,  and went out to bonfires part way through the meal. Loved every minute. 

Not sure how the New Year and the shop closures fall this year but we found the best time to shop was at the shop at the top of the waterfall. I remember the delicious hot soup at that place too.  

Hope you have a great time.

charleyhorse
(Member)
Have done the New Year in Iceland trip twice with JY. Enjoyed the first so much, went back again! As previously said lots of warm layers, waterproof/wind proof outer layer, good walking boots and grippers. Expensive country! Extra trips well worth doing, if you do the northern lights trip, be prepared to be out late, must take plenty of clothing, you may be in middle of field in darkness just waiting, but they keep bus there for sheltering, and Just You use same local guide who is excellent and is fabulous trying to get you to spots where the light prediction is good. I enjoyed both New Years Eve dinners, but know they have changed the venue for this years trip, due to the restaurant no longer offering this, so cannot comment. Don't forget swimsuit for the Blue Lagoon. Enjoy it!
SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Jessica

I did the New Year in Iceland trip in 2010. I'm sure the programme has changed a bit since then but can highly recommend this part of the world at New Year if only for the spectacular fireworks. Food at the time was awful, but having returned recently can say the country has upped its game and caters for the tourist better now, with a lot of the sights having better walkways and even WCs! A very expensive country but worth a visit. The weather for us was very cold with a biting wind and no sign of blue sky or sunshine - sunrise around 10.30am and sunset around 2.30pm.

Regards

Sylvia

DavidG
(Member)
Hello, I did this trip a few years ago and had a fabulous time. Expensive certainly, but excellent food wherever we ate and you are guaranteed a 'white' time. Bitterly cold, so plenty of layers as building interiors will be very warm (free thermal heating).

One tip, everywhere will be icy so I strongly recommend the snow boots from Coopers of Stortford which are available online. They are very warm and waterproof and have built-in ice grip. You just have to flip it down which takes seconds. Others too slip-on grips which was not easy with bare hands in sub-zero temperatures. Allow plenty of time for delivery - mine took over a month.

Go for it, a unique experience!