Guitarlady
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SylviaJ' wrote:

Hi Julie & Guitar Lady

What to wear New Year's Eve? I suggest you wear your posh frock to The Perlan and take your boots, hat, coat, gloves etc which can be stored at your table until required for the trip to the bonfires. You'll soon warm up at the bonfire as it is enormous - we only visited one three years ago. And when you are watching the fireworks, outside if you wish at midnight, you won't notice the cold as you'll be carried away with this spectacular event. Hope this helps.

Sylvia

Thanks for the advice, that helps .

Guitarlady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'PeterG' wrote:

Me too! Mind you my siblings think I'm round the bend, especially when I told them there's only 4 hours of daylight a day.

Anyway how else will I get a chance of seeing the northern lights.

Looking forward to meeting you in Iceland

PeterG
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Lucinda' wrote:

Has anyone been able to obtain Icelandic krona? I haven't been able to get any.....just wondered what everyone else was going to take

Lucinda x

I've not managed to get any. I gather the Icelandic Government has restricted the supply available abroad.

Will be taking sterling and my Debit Card and will join the queue at the nearest ATM after arrival.

Peter

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi All

Me again! You can charge any drinks etc you have in the hotel to your room and pay on departure by credit or debit card. When we went on excursions, our driver stopped off at an ATM for those who didn't have currency. I also recall one excursion we all filed into the travel agency office and paid by cash/credit/debit, so don't worry too much about not being able to get currency here.

I've not been able to get currency for my Christmas holiday either!!!

Regards

Sylvia

JacG
  • (Member)
(Member)
Has anyone been able to obtain Icelandic krona? I haven't been able to get any.....just wondered what everyone else was going to take

Lucinda x

I've not managed to get any. I gather the Icelandic Government has restricted the supply available abroad. Will be taking sterling and my Debit Card and will join the queue at the nearest ATM after arrival.

Peter

I posted via the 'Editor' page a few days ago - and all is explained in a Telegraph article (from Sept 2013) as to why Krona are no longer available here. Seems we'll ALL be in the same position unless anyone bought before the September ban came in! I also hear that exchanging Euro notes/trav chq's is not as easy as UK£ or US$. Plastic is easy and much preferred!!! See you all on the 'other side'!!

Guitarlady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
:(
'pahill' wrote:

'Lucinda' wrote:

'Angelina123' wrote:

'PeterG' wrote:

Me too! Mind you my siblings think I'm round the bend, especially when I told them there's only 4 hours of daylight a day.

Hi. I went to Iceland in January and sometimes the wind is SO cold so take plenty of thermals. It's very icy round the geyser and I fell so take care. The lack of daylight was a bit depressing but it was a good trip. Angelina

:( I cant cash even after ordering from Asda , so thank you for the telling me, really looking forward to meeting you all.

Guitarlady

Hi Angelina

Do we need to take any special clothes or shoes with us or did you just wear normal stuff ?

Lucinda

I did Iceland at New Year at the beginning of this year with Just You. Normal UK winter clothes are fine. There was snow on the ground throughout the trip but it wasn't excessively cold.

Oh, and if your briefing pack still says there are currency limits on how much Icelandic cash you can take it - there isn't. Those restrictions put in place after the banking crash came off two years ago and you can take as much as you like in and out.

Guitarlady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Angelina123' wrote:

'Lucinda' wrote:

'Angelina123' wrote:

'PeterG' wrote:

Hi. I went to Iceland in January and sometimes the wind is SO cold so take plenty of thermals. It's very icy round the geyser and I fell so take care. The lack of daylight was a bit depressing but it was a good trip. Angelina

Hi Angelina

Do we need to take any special clothes or shoes with us or did you just wear normal stuff ?

Lucinda

Take padded trousers, thermal long-sleeved vests, warm hats, sturdy snow or walking boots and preferably get some grippers to put on footwear and down jackets. Good luck you will enjoy. Angelina 123

I got the padded trousers ! Guitarlady

Guitarlady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SylviaJ' wrote:

Hi Julie & Guitar Lady

What to wear New Year's Eve? I suggest you wear your posh frock to The Perlan and take your boots, hat, coat, gloves etc which can be stored at your table until required for the trip to the bonfires. You'll soon warm up at the bonfire as it is enormous - we only visited one three years ago. And when you are watching the fireworks, outside if you wish at midnight, you won't notice the cold as you'll be carried away with this spectacular event. Hope this helps.

Sylvia

That helps lots 🙂

Guitarlady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'PeterG' wrote:

'Lucinda' wrote:

Lucinda x

I've not managed to get any. I gather the Icelandic Government has restricted the supply available abroad.

Will be taking sterling and my Debit Card and will join the queue at the nearest ATM after arrival.

Peter

I couldn't get any from Asda even after putting the order in three weeks ago.

Guitarlady