grahamwhibley
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Anyone been on the Turkey (Troy, Ephesus) trip before?.

need advise regarding dress i.e. what sort of footware etc & as I am a veggie what about food?.

this is my first trip with JY, any other tips would be usefull, for instance staying at Heathrow the night before, which hotel is the best.

Nelson
  • (Member)
(Member)
There is a lot of walking over archaeological sites so comfortable walking shoes a must.

I also took a pair of walking sandals, and a pair of smart sandals for evening ( you probably won't need those ! )

You will need to have shoulders and legs covered for religious sites.

The food is great and plenty of vegetarian options.

If you let JY office know you are vegetarian then the guide will have a note of that and always arrange veggie meals for you.

I don't like to stay off airport so I always stay at sofitel ( expensive ) or yotel ( cheap ) so I can mosey round airport shops and restaurants in the evening.

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
I always stay at the Premier Inn, Heathrow (officially 15 Bath Road). I have always found it comfortable and there is a bus link to the airport (I think it costs about £3 or £4 but if you have an Over 60s bus pass you can catch the ordinary bus from outside the hotel). I go onto the Premier Inn website to book - the sooner you do so the better chance there is of getting a good rate. The hotel's only disadvantage is that, if you are like Nelson and want to mooch around the shops etc in the evening, I don't think there are any nearby but there is a reasonable restaurant in the hotel and a Costa coffee shop and seating areas where you can spend some time people-watching.

As to food, I lived in Turkey for a couple of years ages ago and, although not a vegetarian, I do remember the food! Stuffed vineleaves and aubergines, bulgur wheat, salads, not to mention the many different types of bakhlava if you have a sweet tooth... my mouth waters just at the thought!

grahamwhibley
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you both for your help, I have been to Greece quite a lot in the past but never to Turkey so it all looks similar
AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
Yes, Graham, but keep the thought to yourself while on holiday!
grahamwhibley
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'AnnF' wrote:

Yes, Graham, but keep the thought to yourself while on holiday!

yes I know what you mean, not a lot of love lost between the two countries