SHELLY 1
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Dear friends,

I am booked on the Australia trip in November. When in USA I have used my phone to keep in contact.This has run up a rather large bill. I wonder what other phones others have used to keep in contact???????

A friend did talk about a world wide sim..Has anyone used one before. Any advice would b great.

Shelly 1

stu151
  • (Member)
(Member)
Shelly

In any of the big Australian cities, you can easily buy a Lebara International SIM card from 7/11 type stores. There are also numerous other International SIM cards/packages available, but Lebara is, in my experience, the cheapest to the UK. (Strangely Lebara is more expensive if you call an Australian number, so keep that to a minimum)

This has an Australian mobile number, and calls to the UK cost around 2p/min to landlines, 5p/min to UK mobiles (plus, I think around 10/15p/call set up). Texts to the UK are around 10p. You pay 10 Australian Dollars for the SIM card, which is credited against calls. You have to ring them and register the card, but this is simple and just give your hotel as an Australian address. If you need to add money beyond the initial $10, you just buy a voucher, which is widly available from 7/11 type stores. From my experience coverage is fine in all of the big cities, but a bit hit & miss outside.

Worldwide SIMs are OK, in that they operate worldwide, but are pretty expensive in terms of cost/min.

Stuart

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
The other option is to take advantage of the hotels Internet machines. If I remember correctly most of the hotels had either free or very cheap access in the foyers. If they didn't there were lots of Internet cafes around to be able to pop off a quick email.
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
When I was in OZ I used a card bought from a newsagents that worked out really well....had a number you keyed in before the number, from the hotel phones not my mobile....worked well for me..

Or just use the Internet facility's in the hotels.....I have just come back from Florida ( I know that's not OZ) but used hotel Internet in each hotel at NO charge...

Have a look and see if the have Internet at the hotel might save you some money.

Cindy

Sussex Downs
(Member)
Hi Shelly 1,

I am with the others re using the internet for emails.

I take with me my small 10” laptop (hand luggage) and get the password from the hotel front desk. The other benefit is that you can keep up to date with what is going on in the UK and keep the other fellow travellers with what is happening back home!!

If you have Skype installed even better.

Also I can transfer photos from my cameras onto the laptop day to day.

I hope the above helps!!

Malcolm