Worldtraveller
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Booked for S Africa and Zambia for September and just been to my Yellow Fever Centre for my jab and they inform me it is not necessary as it is now a low risk. Just You still says I need it as I have to have a certificate to get into the country. Has anyone been recently and what is the latest. I don't want to have it unless it is necessary. It can have side effects when you are older I could always ask for an exemption but if it is needed I would have it. Can anyone help. Thanks Tricia
SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi

I went to South Africa and Zambia in March 2012 and had to have Yellow Fever. South Africa is free of this disease so you'll need a certificate or exemption. Officials at Johannesbourg airport asked to see my certificate and there was one leg of the journey where plane and passengers were fumigated!!!! Check the Nathnac website for up to date info..

Regards

Sylvia

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Tricia, I had yellow fever in 2008 to go to Kenya, best to shop around for it as clinics and health centres prices do vary greatly, there were a few side effects I recall but nothing horrendous, took my certificate with me but was never asked for it, usually depends what areas you are travelling to as we were visiting Tsavo national park and the masai mara we were advised to have it but didn't need it for south Africa despite visiting kruger

Regards

Dave

RosieMo
(Member)
I travelled to southern Africa in 2011 and needed the Yellow Fever jab - I think it was to get back into South Africa after having been to Zambia (even though I didn't travel to an area with Yellow Fever, the officials at the airport don't know where we've been, do they). And I remember, I think all of the internal flights in Africa were fumigated - they tell you to cover your eyes and mouth so it must be something potent!

I didn't experience any side effects from the injection at all.

RM.

MikeB
  • (Member)
(Member)
I went on this trip last November/December. Had the inoculation but don't recall anyone asking or even looking at the certificate. Every source I consulted (and just re-checked) states that SA will require a certificate if travelling from a country with yellow fever risk (see the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) web page for SA). However we didn't actually re-enter SA on the way back as we didn't leave the airport! I'd say better safe than sorry.