Gilliano
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi JY Travellers

I have travelled with JY to Thailand and had a great time, I am now very interested in going to Vietnam/Cambodia possibly in Nov 12. Does anyone have any good tips on best way to take take currancy for both countries, is nov a good time to go,Visas, any info would be great.[/size][/font]

jwb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Gilliano, I did this trip end of March/beginning of April and really, really enjoyed it!! I took US Dollars and exchanged some for some local currency in each place. However you can pay any hotel expenses in dollars or local currency. In Vietnam you pay in dollars at many places and in Cambodia virtually every place. Most meals are included but you have to buy drinks and, of course souvenirs!! The weather for my trip varied massively from Northern Vietnam to the South and Cambodia. There are quite a few early morning starts but they are worth it. Particularly from Can Tho to the floating market and in Siem Reap to the temples. I arranged visas through JY and found the service good. If you have anymore queries I would be happy to try to help.

John

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi John,

I'm planning on doing this trip next Feb, so any further advice would be very welcome! Did anyone suffer from an upset stomach and any advice on foods to avoid etc? Also were mosquitoes a problem, did you just use DEET and did people take anti-malaria medication? Did you do all the optional excursions?

Best wishes,

Bob

jwb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob,

I did all the advertised options and enjoyed them all. There were a couple more organised at resort which I chose not to do so that I could use lovely swimming pool in Hoi An hotel. There were a few minor tummy upsets (not myself though) but normal medication sorted it out quickly. All the meals were very good with plenty of possibilities for all tastes and I tried the majority of foods. What people took for malaria depended on the advice they received before going, which appeared to vary. On the advice of my surgery I only took DEET and used it most days. I suffered very few bites - mosquitos or otherwise! Hope this is of some help.

John

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi John, many many thanks for your reply, very encouraging - so much so that I'm about to book for next Feb!

Best wishes,

Bob

Gilliano
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'jwb' wrote:

Hi Gilliano, I did this trip end of March/beginning of April and really, really enjoyed it!! I took US Dollars and exchanged some for some local currency in each place. However you can pay any hotel expenses in dollars or local currency. In Vietnam you pay in dollars at many places and in Cambodia virtually every place. Most meals are included but you have to buy drinks and, of course souvenirs!! The weather for my trip varied massively from Northern Vietnam to the South and Cambodia. There are quite a few early morning starts but they are worth it. Particularly from Can Tho to the floating market and in Siem Reap to the temples. I arranged visas through JY and found the service good. If you have anymore queries I would be happy to try to help.

John

Hi John

Many thanks for info,will definately be in touch if I have anymore queries.

Gilliano