willow
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
2 weeks to go and i am getting excited, nervous and worrying about the silly little things

Been trying to find tips for China from posts I've read previously, so many posts I can't seem to find one I am looking for.

I have found one from a tour guide (Daniel ) which has lots of advice and wondered if anyone else who has done this trip has any further tips

I have my case sorted which will go in the hold, I am presuming that on the way out its either a handbag or hand luggage. I have a small cabin size case which could also be used for two nights in Chengde but am wondering if I should take a holdall instead, ?

Daniels tips........

HAND LUGGAGE

Moist wipes

Disenfectant wipes (for the occasional loo seat that may need a wipe before I use)

Hat/ Sunglasses

Underwear change (we go straight to Temple of Heaven on arrival before the hotel)

BAGGAGE

I try to leave some free room as I am always shopping and I take a bin bag as we can leave some items in secure storage at the hotel in Beijing as we return there on the last night before flying home. That way any Beijing shopping and superfluous items I dont have to take around.

A fold up travel bag for the two nights in Chengde and to use for the shopping on the way home.

The hand baggage allowance going to China is quite restricted as the chinese passengers buy massive amounts of Duty free at Heathrow but coming home you can have a Bag/small trolley case and your handbag.

Remember many toiletries that we have here are not available in china so I ensure I have enough as well as painkillers, immodium (rarely needed but just in case) throat sweets as the air at times is dusty and it eases the throat) Also camera batteries and memory cards are out of the way to find and not cheaper than the UK.

Clothing, lightweight and casual. We have two or three evenings where you may wish to be a bit more dressy but otherwise its casual and cool the whole way. Thunderstorms are possible so remember a brolley. Shoes we will be on our feet alot and climbing temples and walls so sturdy shoes as well as flip flops

mlu032
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi willow,

I did this trip in July with Daniel - his advice is spot on especially about the throat pastels! Also take with you some of that antibacterial hand gel me and my sister found it invaluable! I took a roll-y cabin bag for Chengde and me and my sister shared it as you don't need much stuff as you're not there for long - do be warned though that if you're flying BMI from Manchester to Heathrow the plane is about as big a shoe box so only the flattest of backpacks and hand bags are allowed on board and all other luggage is checked into the hold but Air China have no problem with you taking a roll-y cabin bag and a backpack. P.S Daniel's not joking about the Chinese and cabin baggage keep an eye out for it all on the flight to Xi'An it's unbelievable!!

Also if you're taking English money to change, which I recommend you do as the exchange rate there is far more favourable than the one anyone will give you here, do NOT take £50 notes as the Chinese have never seen these before and will NOT change them, £20 and £10 notes are fine though.

Relax, don't worry you'll have a fantastic time it's an amazing trip and you're tour manager will tell you absolutely everything you need to know (literally!!)

Have a lovely time

Helenxx

willow
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'mlu032' wrote:

Hi willow,

I did this trip in July with Daniel - his advice is spot on especially about the throat pastels! Also take with you some of that antibacterial hand gel me and my sister found it invaluable! I took a roll-y cabin bag for Chengde and me and my sister shared it as you don't need much stuff as you're not there for long - do be warned though that if you're flying BMI from Manchester to Heathrow the plane is about as big a shoe box so only the flattest of backpacks and hand bags are allowed on board and all other luggage is checked into the hold but Air China have no problem with you taking a roll-y cabin bag and a backpack. P.S Daniel's not joking about the Chinese and cabin baggage keep an eye out for it all on the flight to Xi'An it's unbelievable!!

Also if you're taking English money to change, which I recommend you do as the exchange rate there is far more favourable than the one anyone will give you here, do NOT take £50 notes as the Chinese have never seen these before and will NOT change them, £20 and £10 notes are fine though.

Relax, don't worry you'll have a fantastic time it's an amazing trip and you're tour manager will tell you absolutely everything you need to know (literally!!)

Have a lovely time

Helenxx

Thanks for the reply, I didnt think I was going to bother with the throat pastels , but I shall now purchase a supply and will ensure I get lower denomination notes for exchanging in China

I don't have to worry about flights from Manchester as I am driving to Heathrow from Lincoln 🙂

Thanks again

Denise