SaraC
  • (Newbie) (Topic Starter)
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Hi.  I know this is a difficult question but approximately how much rand do I need to order for a good trip for The South African Expreience in October?   Most meals are covered except lunches.  I have no idea of lunch costs or any other costs I may incur.

Thank you

Sara

Just You
  • (Administration)
(Administration)
Hi Sara,

Yes it is a bit of a tricky one as everyone is different in what they want to purchase/how they like to dine – but hopefully there will be some fellow travellers on this thread who have been there and can advise what they spent while they were there as a guide.

Generally speaking it’s customary to tip 10-15% in the service industry. Your Holiday Director will also be able to advise where the nearest ATMs are should you need additional spends. The maximum amount you can withdraw from an ATM per day is approximately 3000 Rand/£130. I hope this helps somewhat, and apologies for not being able to be more specific on this. Wishing you a wonderful trip!

Best wishes,

Just You Team

igosolo
(Newbie)
As you mentioned, most of your meals are covered, but you'll need to budget for lunches. Eating at local cafes or restaurants can range from 50-150 ZAR for a simple meal, and dining at more upscale restaurants can be more expensive.
IanWight
(Member)
Hi Sara,

I did this trip in October last year - there is a review on the review page although this does not directly address the issue of how much cash.

Having done a quick check I took £700.00 in rand and bought around £250.00 back.

I prefer to use cash so there was no card spending.

Lunches were often timed to co-incide with driver rest stops and would often be a sandwich and a drink at prices comparable to the UK.

Other expenses were cash tips to the TM/drivers plus whatever you wanted to spend on drinks at dinner / in the evening. I am teetotal post Covid so stuck to non alcoholic but most people had a beer or G&T or two - prices again much as in the UK. there were only 8 of us so no late partying! There are souvenir stands everywhere and prices were not excessive. Amongst other things I bought a print along the way which cost a lot more to get framed when I got home!

There is high end shopping at J'burg airport and I did spend quite a bit there!

Otherwise is is coffees etc here and there and it is easy to forget how much these cost when buying out!

It is a great trip - enjoy.

P.S. get a SA adaptor before you go - SA fitting is unique to SA.