SKW2962
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I'm interested in several of the India tours, but am hesitating, probably relying on too many stereotypes/anecdotes about Indian food. So some advice from your experiences would be helpful.

I could say I don't like curries, but I do realize that curry differs from masala from biryani, so really it's spices, ginger, coconut etc. that I don't like. I'm always willing to try local cuisines, but you can't do that every day.

Thoughts?

Sandy

lesley07
(Member)
Hi

I have done two holidays to India and I really enjoyed the food. Meals were normally buffet style and you could try different dishes. Most hotels also provided alternatives to Indian cuisine mainly in the form of pasta.

My advice is try the food and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Lesley

Dyuti
  • (Member)
(Member)
'SKW2962' wrote:

I'm interested in several of the India tours, but am hesitating, probably relying on too many stereotypes/anecdotes about Indian food. So some advice from your experiences would be helpful.

I could say I don't like curries, but I do realize that curry differs from masala from biryani, so really it's spices, ginger, coconut etc. that I don't like. I'm always willing to try local cuisines, but you can't do that every day.

Thoughts?

Sandy

Hello Sandy,

I would suggest not to let the fear of food stop you from visiting India. You won’t find curries there! What you will get is real, authentic Indian food, nothing like the Indian restaurants here serve their customers. You will enjoy food there, I can assure you. So do consider booking one of the tours.

Dyuti

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sandy,

I've just come back from my 5th trip to India. I always go vegetarian when in India - I very much do eat meat normally! As you probably realise "curry" in India is not the same as "curry" in the UK! You will definitely be able to find food that you like, just remember do not eat any fruit that you cannot peel, don't eat the salad (even in a 5 star hotel) as you don't know the water that it has been washed in. Only drink bottled water, keep your mouth shut in the shower, and use bottled water to clean your teeth! Use anti-bacterial wipes/gel at all times, especially after handling money, before and after eating etc.

India is a fascinating country - that's why I keep going back!

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils