Valerie23
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Travellers.  I have just joined and booked a trip to Burma.  Do any of you have any tips please?
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Valerie

If you have a look at the Review section, you will see a detailed review of this trip.

Jaya

Valerie23
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Valerie

If you have a look at the Review section, you will see a detailed review of this trip.

Jaya

Thanks Jaya,

Valerie

pahill
(Member)
Others have written reviews of the holiday content, so I thought I'd add a few tips about the practicalities of the holiday that others may find useful.

Money - The pre-trip bumf from Just You clearly states the US dollars are not accepted by any hotel, tourist site or by any other trader for any purpose as of 1st November 2015 as the practice was made illegal. Either that rule was rescinded in the meantime after an outcry from businesses, or the locals don't give a stuff about it. Every single hotel and organised site we went to accepted USD for payment - and some /only/ quoted prices in USD. ATMs are now plentiful everywhere we went, with loads sitting on palettes waiting to be connected up at lots of places so this will only increase the number of active units further by the time you go. I recommend C B Bank's ATM in the Yangon Airport baggage claim hall (so before you exit airside) which worked no problem for me. Some people had issues - but it's because they didn't tell their bank they were coming to Burma and needed a phone call to get the block taken off. I found that 300,000 kyat [pronounced chat] (about £170) was an adequate amount for the full length of the trip including all tips and the few meals that had to be paid for. If you're a big shopper then you'll need more. All hotels and tourist sites we went to accepted cards as well, which the bumf says would not be the case (charged in USD for the two purchases I made). I'd recommend withdrawing as much kyat as you think you will need for the whole holiday in one transaction to avoid being charged multiple 6,500 kyat withdrawal fees for each transaction. You could take USD to convert at bureaux de change at the airport, but I didn't see the point as you'd be paying two sets of conversion fees - GBP to USD at home, and then for USD to MMK in Burma. GBP are not accepted for exchange by the bureauxs, just USD and some regional Asian currencies. If you're taking USD, take $100 notes for exchange purposes as the exchanges charge worse rates for smaller notes - the smaller the note, the worse the rate. You don't need singles for tips etc. All tips should be in kyat to make it easy for the locals to spend them.

Critically important: The USD notes have to be in pristine condition and in the coach on the way from the airport we were all given a long hard wallet to hold dollars for the trip. It's not just the usual no wear, no tears, no marks and no writing on them - they cannot have been folded or even bent, EVER. If the note does not sit flat on the surface under its own weight it will be rejected. We were told that this has nothing to do with them being worried about fraudulent notes etc.; a General who got the hump about past US sanctions issued a diktat some years ago that only brand new notes, never folded, not even curved due to a wallet soft-fold are accepted for exchange. The diktat has never been rescinded so the exchanges stick to it rigidly. If a local business accepted a note that doesn't lie flat you might as well have given them a note ripped into 50 pieces - it's worthless and cannot be exchanged by them. A few people tried it on and were quickly disappointed that notes we'd say were brand new were rejected because they had a small bend radius in them. So if you do take USD with you, tell your bank/bureaux to give you brand new notes that have never ever been folded or bent because you are going to Burma and that's one law that they do stick to. If they refuse to guarantee this is what you'll get, go somewhere else as you'll be wasting your time buying unusable notes as far as Burma is concerned.

Feet - All of the temples and other religious sites in Burma insist on bare feet. Unlike Vietnam and Cambodia where socks are perfectly acceptable, in Burma they are not. No exceptions are made for medical conditions. I had a particularly aggressive fungal infection that I was half way through treating on my left foot that made it look like it had been hit by a hammer in a cartoon. I just couldn't risk the infection propagating to others, persisting or being aggravated by going barefoot so I had to miss entering every temple and monument. Oh well, it gives me a reason to go back one day to redo what I couldn't do this time around. One other person was affected for a different medical reason.

Spas - Although a man, I like my spa treatments to relax when I'm on holiday as I just don't have the time at home (never mind having the spare money for UK prices in a decent 4*/5* hotel). Unfortunately there is a depressing assumption that men going for a massage in Burma are only there for one thing - more than what's on the treatment list... I had two massages during the holiday at the 3*/4* hotels and both the masseurs offered a 'special massage' at the end of the main treatment which annoyed me. The only comfort by speaking to the local guide after the first intervention is that all men, regardless of ethnic origin, are offered this so it's not a horrible stereotype that all white westerners are dirty old men. Still, if this is going to ruin your experience by them making the offer, don't go, as they will.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Pahill,

Many thanks for your tips about US dollars - I would automatically have put them in my wallet and consequently they would have been folded, so your advice is invaluable!  If I go for a spa treatment I will be wary....

Cheers,

Bob

Angie S
(Member)
Hello Pahill

Thanks for confirming the strict stance on the money/USD. I thought I had some good quality left over dollars but not good enough it would seem!

Angie

lorraine
(Member)
Thank you for this info on Burma currency, will come in very handy when I go, also the "bare feet" rule.
SarahS
(Member)
Lots of sleeps until February 2017. Please keep the tips coming. I'm so excited about this trip. Just wondering how long the visa process will take and if I can fit in a pre Christmas trip this year.
katy1717
(Member)
Pahill,

Many thanks for this, I would never have thought that slightly folded, but otherwise pristine US dollars would not be accepted. Really useful information to know in advance. Good to know that US dollars were accepted everywhere, despite other contradictory information (the same is true of Guatemala - before we went in Feb, all the information was that dollars could not be used, but when we got there we had no problems at all.)

Good to know that you think £170 is all you need to change, gives an idea of what to organise to change on arrival.

Many thanks for this.

Katy

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Just to allay some fears.  The USD I took had been folded very faintly but I put them under a pile of books for several weeks and had no problems.  Good to see ATM's are becoming more common even in the short time since I visited in February.

As regards spa's, the itinerary must have changed since February as we did not have time for any massages and yes if you read the review I posted which was called Barefoot in Burma it is bare feet with no exceptions.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jonah,

Thanks for your comments - I've also heard from Hils that when changing money the US dollars weren't too closely inspected so I'm not going to worry too much about this.  She did advise me however to check the quality of the kyat as some of the notes the Burmese try to palm off on tourists can be very tatty indeed!

Cheers,

Bob

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
'SarahS' wrote:

Lots of sleeps until February  2017.  Please keep the tips coming.  I'm so excited  about  this  trip.  Just wondering how long the visa process  will take  and if  I can fit in a pre  Christmas  trip this year.

Hi Sarah

The visa process with JY is quite quick and you cannot apply too early as your Visa has to be current 3 months before your departure date FROM Burma.  I went away for Christmas last year and sent my passport off after the return to normal post New Year with no problems for a 15th February departure.  Hope this helps

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Ha ha Bob.  Hils lent me a small denomination note when I did not have any change and was very fussy about the quality of the note I returned to her.  As noted in my original review try to get 500 or 1000 Kyat notes rather than 10,000 to make life easier.
pahill
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Jonah,

Thanks for your comments - I've also heard from Hils that when changing money the US dollars weren't too closely inspected so I'm not going to worry too much about this.  She did advise me however to check the quality of the kyat as some of the notes the Burmese try to palm off on tourists can be very tatty indeed!

Cheers,

Bob

In terms of stats there were 30 of us on the tour and about half had their dollars rejected at some point or another for not being perfect enough. One poor lady's entire stock was declared useless and we helped her change her 'old' for new as she didn't take a bank card with her so it couldn't get lost or stolen. She would have had no money otherwise. So, having seen the sharp end of this weird and silly diktat I would still advise caution unless and until the UK Foreign Office's travel website for Myanmar says this restriction has gone away. I see Aung San Suu Kyi didn't get the Economy ministry portfolio last week, the military did, so change may not be swiftly forthcoming.

pahill
(Member)
'jonah' wrote:

Just to allay some fears.  The USD I took had been folded very faintly but I put them under a pile of books for several weeks and had no problems.  Good to see ATM's are becoming more common even in the short time since I visited in February.

As regards spa's, the itinerary must have changed since February as we did not have time for any massages and yes if you read the review I posted which was called Barefoot in Burma it is bare feet with no exceptions.

The itinerary hadn't changed; I made the time for a massage at Pine Hill Resort by opting out of an afternoon included excursion - more temples and sites I couldn't get into because of my foot (including a monastery lunch). And then we had the morning free on the very last day before going to the airport so I slotted in an hour after breakfast.

I have fed back on the feedback form that this holiday was simply far too busy with included excursions and at least 10% of it needs to be cleared out and left free. This was my 13th JY holiday and I thought nothing would ever beat China for packing things in. If you can't relax for at least part of a holiday it's not really a holiday as you come home more tired than when you left. I don't count a four day optional add-on at the end to the beach as compensation as I'm still of working age and so didn't have the free days off work to do the add-on.

Of course anyone can opt out of anything they don't want to do on JY tours, but you've paid for the holiday so are losing money by not going, and you don't want to try pot luck and miss something that everyone then raves about when they get back from the trip. That would be gutting.

Annecxt
(Member)
Our lovely Tour guide gave us all a locally made wallet to put our notes in and keep them flat

Another tip, not sure if it has been said already, but the Kayat notes are very dirty. Recommend hand gel at all times...and not just for that !

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi thanks for the additional info regarding currency, down time etc - it is good to have an idea of these things beforehand to know what we might encounter!  

All the best,

Bob

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Having been on the tour I think it would be a crying shame to take anything out of this fantastic holiday.  The review I wrote stresses that it is very full on with minimal down time but having travelled for a day and a half each way I want to see as much as I can as it is very unlikely I will return for a second bite.
pahill
(Member)
'jonah' wrote:

Having been on the tour I think it would be a crying shame to take anything out of this fantastic holiday.  The review I wrote stresses that it is very full on with minimal down time but having travelled for a day and a half each way I want to see as much as I can as it is very unlikely I will return for a second bite.

This is a 50/50 situation as those on the tour were similarly split in opinion. It all comes down to what a holiday means to you. I work full-on and want a substantial level of downtime on a holiday. Getting up and travelling (to me, it feels like working) even longer hours than I would do at home is not relaxing. There was a lot of repetition on the tour (somewhat dictated by the nature of what there is to see, I grant you), but there is scope for reducing that - or making them optional excursions.

However the opinion was firm by all that nobody wanted to go out during the afternoon of the arrival day after being up for 24 hours travelling, as nobody was in the mood for sightseeing while falling asleep in unacclimatised high heat.

SarahS
(Member)
I agree Jonah. I will be very disappointed if anything is cut from the tour I have booked.