pat534
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I went on this holiday in October staying at the Hotel Palma in Pompeii. The hotel is within walking distance of the ruins and has lots of places to eat nearby as well as supermarkets.The rooms have a fridge and a kettle which was great for keeping milk and making a cuppa.The roof terrace has beautiful views over towards Vesuvious.It was lovely to sit up there watching the sunset. There is a hot tub up there but was turned off in October .Some of the rooms have high windows but others have normal ones. If you like to see out of your window then it is worth paying the extra.The food was good and plentiful.

I did all the extra trips which were very enjoyable.The Amalfi coast and trip to Capri were well worth doing but popular with other tourists.

The walk up Vesuvious was done in the morning and as we were leaving we were glad that we went then as there was a que of cars coming up the hill to the car park.I had taken a trecking pole which was very useful.There is plenty of time to stop on the way up to admire the view and catch your breath.Poles can be borrowed from the entrance but they expect you to leave a tip.There is a fence around the crater at the top and a couple of small shops.Walking shoes are best as the path is quite slippy especially on way down.

On the Sunday Pompeii was extremely busy with people going to the church by the hotel and meeting friends in the square. This church is well worth visiting as it is beautiful inside.

The ruins at Pompeii are huge.Best to wear your walking shoes here as well as the surfaces are very uneven.Our guide Laura took us round and explained a lot about the buildings and the history.The afternoon was free so you could either go back to hotel or explore further.Herculaneum is much smaller. Most of it has not been excavated. The Museum in Naples has lots of the treasures removed from the ruins .The mosaics  are beautiful.Laura explained a lot about them and where they were found.

Sorrento has loads of shops and eating places.We did the trip on the tourist road train which went down to the coast.I got bitten several time by insects when we were at the Lemoncello demonstration. Suggest taking some insect repellant with you.

Naples airport has 2 levels.there are lots more shops cafes on the lower ground floor.

Jackie36
(Member)
Thanks Pat sounds great. I'm going on the same trip in Feb but it's a different trip.