SylviaJ
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Not much to report on this holiday. 

Filomena Lima was the Tour Manager on this trip of 21 travellers (14 female, 7 male). Some of us have travelled with her before so we knew we would be well looked after.  

We covered a lot of ground and visited four hotels.  Lots of time on the small 25 seat coach and no optional excursions and limited time to explore.  TM gave us a daily information sheet detailing where we were going and (sensible!) time for departure and luggage collection.  Two dinners were included for the first and final evenings.  Other times we dined in the hotel or a local restaurant.  The best hotel was the Regua Douro in the Douro Valley - we were the only group there for the evening so took over the hotel!  Vila Gale Opera in Lisbon proved a bit difficult when 5 of us tried to book for dinner on day 5 but TM sorted it out for us. 

The scenery was excellent viewing and I think we did everything as in the itinerary.  The local guide in Lisbon was very poor with limited commentary and a haphazard sightseeing tour for us.  The disappointing part of this holiday was the weather – very cold and rain on most days, torrential in Aveiro.  I think we had one dry cloudy day and one day of sunshine.   

I came away from this holiday thinking that my trips to the Algarve and the Azores were better than this part of Portugal. 

My fellow travellers might have more to say. 

Regards 

Sylvia

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

Sorry to hear that you did not get good weather. April can be a bit temperamental!

Regards

Jaya

SarahS
(Member)
44Sorry to hear the weather spoiled your impression of the area: I have visited it several times, but in early summer and autumn, both independently, and on organised tours, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Lisbon is a very historic and interesting city; it’s a great shame that you didn’t have a good guide. Hopefully, JY will take steps to provide better guides on future trips.
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Sylvia

Thanks for leaving a honest review, I am sorry that the local guide wasn’t up to par, they do vary from Tour to tour and it is something JY need to address. I had awful weather when I was in Canada and it really did bring the tour down for me, but unfortunately we can not control the weather.

Cindy

katy1717
(Member)
Many thanks for the review Sylvia.  I'm on this trip in 10 days time.  Fortunately, I took the option of May rather than April, hoping for warmer weather.

It will be my first time in Portugal, I hope the local guide in Lisbon has been sorted out.  Have had a few VERY duff local guides on Europe trips with JY in the past - it really does make a difference.  Glad to hear about the sensible departure times and that the scenery was excellent.

Seems you had an OK trip, but nothing special.  I hope the weather makes it better for us.

Kind regards

Katy

SylviaJ
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi All

Not to be put off by the weather, I am considering visiting Madeira at Christmas. Maybe I am foolish?!

Regards

Sylvia

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

I have a friend I made on one of my Just You holidays who now travels with another company and she loves spending Christmas in Madeira and keeps on going back. You are not foolish for wanting to do so. You will have an amazing time.

Regards

Jaya

Chris84
(Member)
'SylviaJ' wrote:

Hi All

Not to be put off by the weather, I am considering visiting Madeira at Christmas.  Maybe I am foolish?!

Regards

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia 

Sorry to hear the weather spoiled your holiday, sounds like April was a little early for sunshine even in Portugal. 

Spent a couple of Christmases myself in Madeira and its normally about 15-20 degrees in Funchal during the 'winter' you will be fine. 

Chris

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Sylvia,

Sorry that you had a few problems with this tour. Local guides can make or break tours, this guide will need to be kicked out. Just paid the remainder of Douro River Cruise for July when I know it will be quite hot. We are on board a river cruise ship so do not have to pack up and put our cases outside the door thank goodness.

Jan