Dina
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Sumac and Hils

Sumac, I agree with everything that Hils says although Hils went in may and I went in september last year.

There were 13 on our trip and 11 of us did the Rice terraces optional. We all enjoyed it although it was a 2 hour but beautiful journey on the coach. After 2 hours we arrived at a bus station where we got off our coach and completed the journey to the top of the terraces, by local shuttle bus, along a bumpy road.

At the top there was a long walk  which one of the group decided not to do.

We all walked around the lake in the evening after dinner. Wonderful.

The bike ride, one gent had prebooked this. He didn't do it,  because no one else was doing it. Far too hot. I hadn't been on a bike for about 40 years but I did do the optional bike ride on the Vietnam trip, it was very easy going but again a bit too hot.

Our local guide in Chengdu wanted to know why the Face Changing Show in Chengdu wasn't on the itinerary.

It sounded good so the TM and local guide organized it for us all. It was brilliant.

Potala Palace was only a 10 minute walk from the Hotel so we went to see it illuminated one evening.

That's a couple of things you could be interested in. Obviously the Face Changing show would be dependent on the TM and local guide!

Enjoy The Roof of the World

Hi Hils

I know this should be under a different heading, but I know that you have been to Burma.

Just wondering about currency there. I know it's a closed currency and that we have to take pristine US Dollars

but do the hotels readily exchange these for Burmese Kyats (if I have name right). I do want to do some shopping whilst I am there. I would be very grateful for any advice if you could give me some please.

Am going in November.

Happy travelling and kind regards Di

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Dina' wrote:

Hi Sumac and Hils

Sumac, I agree with everything that Hils says although Hils went in may and I went in september last year.

There were 13 on our trip and 11 of us did the Rice terraces optional. We all enjoyed it although it was a 2 hour but beautiful journey on the coach. After 2 hours we arrived at a bus station where we got off our coach and completed the journey to the top of the terraces, by local shuttle bus, along a bumpy road.

The bike ride, one gent had prebooked this. He didn't do it,  because no one else was doing it. Far too hot. I hadn't been on a bike for about 40 years but I did do the optional bike ride on the Vietnam trip, it was very easy going but again a bit too hot.

Our local guide in Chengdu wanted to know why the Face Changing Show in Chengdu wasn't on the itinerary.

It sounded good so the TM and local guide organized it for us all. It was brilliant.

Potala Palace was only a 10 minute walk from the Hotel so we went to see it illuminated one evening.

That's a couple of things you could be interested in. Obviously the Face Changing show would be dependent on the TM and local guide!

Hi Hils

I know this should be under a different heading, but I know that you have been to Burma.

Just wondering about currency there. I know it's a closed currency and that we have to take pristine US Dollars

but do the hotels readily exchange these for Burmese Kyats (if I have name right). I do want to do some shopping whilst I am there. I would be very grateful for any advice if you could give me some please.

Am going in November.

Hi Di,

Re currency for Burma, I think we actually got all our currency in the airport when we arrived. Be sure to check that the notes they give you are clean and unmarked! We were given a nice wallet on the bus to the hotel in which to put our currency, flat!

Hope you have a brilliant time - I absolutely loved Burma.

Cheers,

Hils

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Hils

Thank you for that very quick reply.

That was exactly what I wanted to know,cheers.

Will get all my currency at the airport then. Although I always take a bank card and some English money on holiday for back up I do like to have enough local currency to last the duration of the holiday.

Bought an Insite Guide Book yesterday so I am getting quite excited now. I read the reviews ages ago!

Enjoy wherever you are off to next.

Regards

Di

SueStricks
(Member)
'Hils' wrote:

'Dina' wrote:

Hi Sumac and Hils

Hi Hils

Am going in November.

Hi Di,

Re currency for Burma, I think we actually got all our currency in the airport when we arrived. Be sure to check that the notes they give you are clean and unmarked! We were given a nice wallet on the bus to the hotel in which to put our currency, flat!

Cheers,

Hils

SueStricks
(Member)
'Hi- wrote:

'Dina' wrote:

Hi Sumac and Hils

Hi Hils

Am going in November.

Hi Di,

Cheers,

Hils

sumac
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Dina' wrote:

Hi Sumac and Hils

Hi Hils

Am going in November.

That's really helpful, thanks so much Hils.  As always you are a fount of knowledge:)

Angie S
(Member)
Hello Sumac,

I was with Hils on the May tour. I did the rice field and walked round the Lake at night with others. The lake is worth seeing at night as it is beautifully illuminated and the Chinese like to relax there including lots of dancing groups. 

I did the bike tour with the guide,  TM and 3 others. We were nervous as the tour was meant to start in the busy town however it was arranged they brought the bikes to the quiet location where we had the cooking lesson. Despite being hot the ride was very cooling and immensely enjoyable and we stopped for photos a lot at our choice. We started on quiet roads and much of the trip was on a bespoke cycle path which was very scenic and this may well have been extended since we were there. We did end up cycling through the town at the end but by then I felt more confident and our local guide Vincent tried his best to take us on quiet back roads through the town. 

My profile pic is from this cycle tour - a great day as was the whole tour. 

Angie .

sumac
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Angie S' wrote:

Hello Sumac,

I was with Hils on the May tour. I did the rice field and walked round the Lake at night with others. The lake is worth seeing at night as it is beautifully illuminated and the Chinese like to relax there including lots of dancing groups. 

I did the bike tour with the guide,  TM and 3 others. We were nervous as the tour was meant to start in the busy town however it was arranged they brought the bikes to the quiet location where we had the cooking lesson. Despite being hot the ride was very cooling and immensely enjoyable and we stopped for photos a lot at our choice. We started on quiet roads and much of the trip was on a bespoke cycle path which was very scenic and this may well have been extended since we were there. We did end up cycling through the town at the end but by then I felt more confident and our local guide Vincent tried his best to take us on quiet back roads through the town. 

My profile pic is from this cycle tour - a great day as was the whole tour. 

Angie .

Hi Angie,

I've only just seen your message, for which many thanks:)  It is so very helpful to have first hand experience about these trips and what the excursions are like.  I'm very glad you enjoyed it all, great profile pic with the mountains behind you! Cheers, Sumac

sumac
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi there, One last question please, (I think!), to those of you who have already been on this holiday: I am interested in Tibetan textiles, jackets etc. Was there any one place that you thought particularly good for buying these? Many thanks. Getting very excited now, only two weeks to go!!!! Sumac.
Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi 

I personally can't remember any specific shop to buy textiles. However if you stay in the same hotel as us in Lhasa which was the Kyichu Hotel if you turn right when you go out of the Hotel along the main road heading towards Barkor Street there were plenty of little shops selling textiles.

I bought a lady's traditional stripy apron, which virtually all ladies wear (if I remember correctly) when they are married. The "ties" aren't attached to the apron. You get a long length of material which you have to tie the aprons round your middle with-OK, you can cut this long length of material into two and then sew either side of the apron.

These aprons come in many colours. I bought mine in case my daughter had an international dressing up day at her school. The rest of the costume could be easily sorted out as we have the basic!

Enjoy your holiday in China and Tibet.

Kind Regards

Di

Angie S
(Member)
Funny Dina those little shops near the hotel sprung into my mind too. Mannequins with those aprons - love it ?
sumac
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Dina' wrote:

Hi 

I personally can't remember any specific shop to buy textiles. However if you stay in the same hotel as us in Lhasa which was the Kyichu Hotel if you turn right when you go out of the Hotel along the main road heading towards Barkor Street there were plenty of little shops selling textiles.

I bought a lady's traditional stripy apron, which virtually all ladies wear (if I remember correctly) when they are married. The "ties" aren't attached to the apron. You get a long length of material which you have to tie the aprons round your middle with-OK, you can cut this long length of material into two and then sew either side of the apron.

These aprons come in many colours. I bought mine in case my daughter had an international dressing up day at her school. The rest of the costume could be easily sorted out as we have the basic!

Enjoy your holiday in China and Tibet.

Kind Regards

Di

Hi Dina,

Many thanks, yet again!!  I have made a note and will check them out.  I'm trying to pack super light in case of buying things, as I doubt I will get to Tibet again.  What i really fancy is a cheerful Buddha but I feel he might be a little heavy;)  Best wishes, Sumac.

sumac
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Angie S' wrote:

Funny Dina those little shops near the hotel sprung into my mind too. Mannequins with those aprons - love it ?

Sounds lovely:)  Cannot wait now.

Incidentally, where do you go after Tibet for an extoic trip;)

All the best, Sumac.