chris.d
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
just got back from my first trip with just you. what a fantastic time i had, the holiday was very busy with some long days in but well worth it. my fellow travellers made the holiday even better,with a mixture of seasonend and 1st timers eveybody had fun and a lot of laughter, 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃
wrid-char
(Member)
Thank you to all my new friends from my first solo adventure. You made the holiday really special. Also thank you to Johnathan for looking after us so well. Have many lovely memories to treasure.
RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
I agree with the others. This was a super holiday whether it was a first JY holiday or not. It was certainly the most packed itinerary of any holiday I have been on before with JY. Everywhere we went was so interesting and it is a taster for going back to that area again. 

My favourite town was San Gimignano with lovely alleyways to explore. It is also home of the world famous ice cream and that was sampled by many of the party. I can honestly say it is the best ice cream I have ever tasted!

At the Fattoria Il Poggio we were shown how to make pasta. We weren't able to cook it but now know how to make it at home - haven't tried it yet! The lunch that followed was delicious and several different wines were chosen to accompany it. Perhaps that is why it was so quiet in the coach afterwards.

At the Castello Sonnino we made our lunch from local ingredients. It was an introduction to simple, Tuscan cookery. The wine we sampled while we made the dishes probably added to the hilarity. There was a visit to the castle itself while the staff organised the lunch tables and cooked the chicken dish. The Countess welcomed us all and then showed us the kitchen where her meals were being prepared. It was very rustic and welcoming.

We visited Volterra for a short time on the way back and there were several alabaster shops there for anyone who wanted gifts for home.

The weather was very hot when we were there so I felt I didn't make the most of the sightseeing in Lucca, Florence or Siena. After the guided tours a few of us needed to have a refreshing drink and to sample more dishes and wines in a cool Trattoria but that is part of the experience too.

After several hours in Florence we stopped at Castello di Bolgheri to have an excellent talk and wine tasting before returning to the hotel.

On the last day there were no trips and I think we all enjoyed relaxing around the small town, walking along the beach and sampling more Italian food.

Jonathan was an excellent Tour Manager and must have great stamina to do this tour back-to-back as he has done. Thank you Jonathan and thank you everyone in the group for a great holiday.

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Chris and Wrid-char,

It would be lovely for fellow travellers if you write a great review. My review from 2015 is now 18 months out of date for Flavours of Tuscany.

Jan

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Rae,

Thanks for writing a review - its sounds like a fun filled holiday and one that I might look to do in the future.

Thanks

Kezzer

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rae,

Many thanks for some more info on this great sounding trip - I really would like to return to Tuscany in a couple of years; the only time I was there before was on my whistle-stop Inter-railing trip around Europe which was over 20 years ago!  My only decision would be whether to do the Flavours trip or the Highlights one!  I'd like to see Elba so it's the latter one that I'm swaying towards at present but I have so many other tours I'd like to do I don't know when I'll get the chance!

All the best,

Bob

LeeM
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you for the reviews. This sounds a fun and interesting holiday. Another to add to my ever growing "must do" list!
mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi RaeW and others,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of what sounds like a wonderful holiday. Like Bob, I last visited Tuscany many years ago, so maybe it's time I went back! Your review has certainly got me thinking!

All the best

Mike

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you Rae for the updated review. I loved Lucca, such a beautiful town along with Volterra- my favourite. Everything had shut for Winter- we went in October in Marina de Cescina- would have liked to have paddled in the sea but it was very rough. I thought Castle Sonning was amazing.

Jan