SylviaJ
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I recently returned from this excellent tour.  There were 20 travellers with local guy Patrick Twomey as our Tour Manager and Mike as our driver.  Patrick is passionate about travel and leads many tours for JY and Travelsphere.  He is the TM on 8 February to the Rockies and Chile & Easter Island on 6 March.  Catch up with him here www.twomeytravel.com.  

Day 1 

Most of us met in the lounge at Heathrow which for the newbies is a great ice-breaker.  The flight to Calgary is about 9 hours with a time difference of GMT-7.  On arrival at Calgary, we met the TM in the arrivals area where we made our way to the coach for the transfer to Banff.  Lots of snow around and quite cold.  We checked in to the hotel and went off in our groups to dinner.  I went with the group that tried The Old  Spaghetti Factory and a few of us hit the shops later but some returned  to the hotel as it was very cold and we did not have our thermals on!  The welcome drink and dinner was postponed until day 2.  Not much sleep for some of us that night. 

Day 2 

With a temp of –29C we departed at 9am for our sightseeing tour of Banff and surrounds.  Where you go depends on the weather and the roads to get there.  Look out for wildlife in the  gardens of houses and on the side of the road – we saw mule deer and white tailed deer.  We visited Canmore and the Nordic Centre. The Banff gondola was closed for annual maintenance.  We arrived back at the hotel by about 1pm.  Kathryn and I  had lunch in the Old Spaghetti House where we both had soup, bread and a drink.  We then did a bit of sightseeing and shopping, stopping off for a coffee before returning to the hotel later.  The welcome drink and buffet dinner in the hotel was at 7.30 pm. 

Day 3 

Another cold start at –19C as we departed at 9.30am for our included horse drawn sleigh ride.  Despite blankets being provided, every layer of  clothing will be needed for this!!  On return we had a welcoming hot drink and cookie.  Later we went for our included dip in the Banff natural hot springs, which was divine after the sleigh ride. Kathryn and I had lunch again in the Old Spaghetti House. A group of us had a steak dinner in the Saltlik Steakhouse. Bought lunch for the following day. 

Day 4 

Cases outside room for 8am with a departure at 9.15am.  A day on and  off the coach as we travelled to Jasper via the Johnston Canyon, Icefields  Parkway, Lake Louise Ski Resort, frozen waterfall climbers, goats eating salt off the road and the Athabasca glacier and River waterfalls, with even a crazy dude slacklining.  We checked into the hotel at Jasper and Kathryn and I went off to have dinner at Cassios Italian Restaurant.  After dinner, with the compliments of the waitress, we went to see their museum of stuffed animals before wandering around the  town and then heading back to the  hotel, where we saw a herd of elk sleeping across from the hotel.  The Lobstick Lodge Hotel is a bit dated and rooms are either very hot or cold and there is no quick way of regulating this.  Washers and  dryers here so at least I was able to do my laundry and get it dry! 

Day 5 

We departed at 9.15am for a tour into Jasper National Park taking in Pyramid Lake where we viewed the sunrise reflecting on Pyramid Mountain.  A couple decided to do snow angels on the frozen snowy lake and the TM did his trademark handstand!  We then went on to see the frozen Athabasca River.  A quick bite to eat at Smitty's before we had  to meet for fitting of boots and cleats for the Maligne Canyon ice walk.  A bit of an uneven trek to there and back but we saw a red squirrel sunbathing and some more ice climbers and on departure once on the coach we saw a 10 yr old elk bull with huge antlers.  Kathryn and I had tea and cake in the Other Paw Bakery Café and a wander around the shops (Our Native Land is a must) before dinner later in the Canadian restaurant Syrahs of Jasper. 

Day 6 

Cases outside room for 8am with a departure at 9am.  Another day on and off the coach as we made  our way to Lake Louise, taking in a stop to view a glacier and small avalanche, a raven and a Clark's nutcracker, our included gondola ride at Lake Louise Ski Resort, Yoho National Park's Natural Bridge and Emerald Lake.  We stopped off at Lake Louise Village for lunch.  The TM and driver took our suitcases to the Chateau, which meant on arrival our suitcases were already in our rooms – a wonderful touch!  On arrival at the Chateau time for a quick change before we had a welcome drink around the outside fire pit.  Kathryn and I dined at the Alpine Social. 

Day 7 

A free day.  The TM organised a walk on Lake Louise at 10am, which took a couple of hours.  It had been snowing since the early hours and continued to do so throughout the day.  Those who were booked on the snowshoe experience did this in the afternoon.  I chose to have a light lunch in the deli (which is open 24/7) and then a 90 mins massage instead!  Kathryn and I had dinner in the Lakeview Lounge. 

Day 8 

Cases outside room at 7.30am with a departure of 9am.  We made our way to Calgary, spotting coyote on the prairie and then we stopped off at the University of Calgary to view the students playing ice hockey and speed skating, then on to view the statues of Col James Farquarson Macleod and a bison at Fort Calgary, eventually arriving at the Calgary Tower where we had time to ourselves.  Most of us went up to the top of the tower to view the city and surrounding area.  Kathryn and I bought some last minute things in the shop and then had a light lunch in the revolving restaurant before re-joining the coach to make our way to the airport for our overnight flight to Heathrow. 

Conclusion 

Please ensure you have a valid eTA before arriving at Heathrow or you will be denied check in – as happened to one  of our travellers, who was eventually able to apply for one with assistance from check in staff.  Please also ensure you have the correct clothing and footwear for the possible -29C or lower temperatures and don't forget your sunglasses. Don't carry any food through Calgary airport as the lively dog will sniff it out on the carousel or your hand luggage.  All hotels had fridges, coffee/tea makers, toiletries and hairdryers but no shower caps until reaching the Chateau which also provided bath robes, slippers and a kettle.  Jasper was the only hotel that had a laundry for guest use.  If eating as a group for lunch or dinner ask for separate bills as less complicated than trying to split it yourselves.  Tax is added afterwards as well as a service charge if more than 6 or 8 people.  And finally, as for upgrading, one person had booked and upgraded the holiday through a travel agent with a good deal.  Another booked an upgrade with JY with a possibly less favourable deal.  I myself, travelled economy out and on checking in on line for the return opted  for an upgrade which I found very attractive and possibly better than the JY offer. 

I had visited this area before in September a couple of years ago so it was nice to see it in the winter. 

Fellow travellers might like to add things or correct my continuity.... 

Regards 

Sylvia 

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Great review Sylvia, many thanks!  However I think I'll save up for the summer Rocky Mountaineer trip instead!

Cheers,

Bob

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Sylvia

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive and great reveries on your recent tour, sounds like you had fun and saw some good stuff..

Cindy

AbbaDave
(Member)
wow what an excellant review Sylvia, i nearly booked this trip and have my eye on it for the future

all the best

Dave

kaza 15
(Member)
Thank you for posting the review and tips as I am going on the February trip and looking forward to the trip.
cate52a
(Member)
Thanks Sylvia - I'm also on the February trip and very much looking forward to this. There seems to be quite a lot of downtime which I'm never really keen on.
mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this great review, I was hoping that someone from the January departure would give the community the benefit of their thoughts on this tour, so I was really pleased to read this. I've considered booking this for next year as it seems a great alternative to a normal winter holiday.

Many thanks again.

Mike

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

Great review but like Bob I too would rather do the Summer Rocky Mountaineer trip. Not sure I will survive such low temperatures!

Regards

Jaya

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hiya Sylvia

Welcome back - glad to hear you had a super time! Your review bought back many happy memories of the area from my 2011 visit on the Rocky Mountaineer trip (the old JY version with a couple of nights on Vancouver Island).

I hope your replacement hotel in Banff was ok - shame about the fire in the original one. I also tried out the Old Spaghetti Factory - there was a middle aged couple on the next table having an Olympic class domestic at the time - I was seriously concerned that I was about to get someone's main course whizzing passed my head!

What did you think of the Ice Field Parkway? I guess that the snow coaches up on to the Athabascar Glacier were also shut for the winter but did you get to see Bow Lake or Peyto Lake? Both had really stunning scenery (but then everywhere on your itinerary could claim that! It's such a beautiful place). I loved 'Num-te-jar Lodge'.  I've thought about going back in the winter (I was there at the start of September) but, like our Alaskan experience, I think perhaps having some, but not wall to wall, snow may be nicer.

I agree with you about the Lobstick Lodge - it was already looking a little frayed at the edges 5 years ago. But I remember the bed being very comfortable and am so glad to hear that you found the laundry room! (Though why you would even attempt to take your clothes off in sub zero temperatures is beyond me. Maybe the Colombier Glacier cruise toughened you up 🙂   )

Looking forward to seeing you again for Mount Rushmore and the National Parks in September but I'm sure you've got a few other trips lined up before then (you retired people, gallavanting all over the place!!) - BTW what did you think of Switzerland before Christmas? I love it at that time of year but once again it's equally beautiful, just in a different way, in the summer.

Our Miss Bridget is off to Borneo soon (I've told her not to take her shot gun - it might alarm the locals....) and after the US I'm heading back to Easter Island (independently, not with JY). I'll be interested to hear what your TM Patrick and all the JYers think of it. I wish I was there at the moment - they are in the middle of the annual Tapati Rapa Nui festival - it sounds like an absolute blast. (If you don't mind wearing little more than a loin cloth and a bunch of bananas....)

All the best

Mandy

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi again Sylvia and Everyone

Someone here at home just read my last post and suggested that the last sentence could have been construed as being racist. This was absolutely not my intention, so apologies to anyone who read it that way.

To explain - during the Tapati festival the men of Easter Island take part in the Rapa Nui triathlon, the 'uniform' for this is just a loin cloth (nothing else - even bare feet). They then have to race with two large, and extremely heavy, bunches of bananas strung round across their shoulders while they swim, run and paddle round the whole course which is in an extinct volcano. (Rano Raraku, where the famous moai statues were carved)

The festival is the highlight of the Rapa Nui year, celebrating the Island's traditions and culture. Sorry if I didn't explain myself properly - absolutely no offence intended!

All the best

Mandy

SylviaJ
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mandy

Like you I have previously visited this area - JY Canadian Rockies & Vancouver in September 2013, but without the Rocky Mountaineer.

The replacement hotel in Banff - Elk + Avenue - was lovely and in a good position for the town unlike in 2013 where the Rundlestone Lodge was a good walk. I saw all the vivid colours of the various lakes and the gushing waterfalls at that time and was keen to see the area in the wilds of winter. I even have a photo of me dipping my toes into Lake Louise - no chance of that in winter as all the lakes and rivers were frozen.

When in Jasper I previously stayed in the Amethyst Lodge on Connaught Drive (where you get shaken out of your bed by the trains!) which had a similar layout to Lobstick. Amethyst Lodge is now called The Crimson after it's face lift, but you probably still get disturbed by the trains.

Switzerland was a lovely short holiday too, but consumed too much there and I now want to visit Switzerland in the summertime.

Before the JY Parks in September next for me is Berlin, Dresden and Colditz in April, Iceland in May and Sardinia & Corsica in June - with different companies. As for retirement, every day is either a birthday, christmas, weekend or duvet day!

Bye for now

Sylvia

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

Are you doing Colditz on the 13th April or 28th April departure? If it's the latter, I think we may be on the same coach!!

Hope you are enjoying yet another duvet day.....sigh... :sleepy:

Mandy

SylviaJ
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mandy

My Berlin holiday is on 3 April for 5 days and I'll be flying Easyjet from Gatwick. This will be my first time flying with Easyjet!

Sylvia

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mandy

I love reading your posts - they is always something which cheers you. I personally did not think that your last sentence about loin cloths and bananas was racist at all - I found it amusing. Sometimes people take things too seriously! Keep the posts coming...!

Regards

Jaya

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

That's a co-incidence but you are safe (until September...) because we are on different tours. I'm also doing Dresden, Berlin and Colditz but then going over into Poland to visit Zagan and back via Holland (My tour is 9 days) in April/May. It's a first for me too - not EasyJet though - the cross channel ferry! I've done Jersey - Weymouth dozens of times but never Dover - Calais.

If you want tips for summer in Switzerland, happy to help. As you know 'The Boy' lived there for several years so I'm familiar.... ;)

Hi Jaya - thanks for your comments - always happy to spout forth! You will love Easter Island (go on - you know you want to make Mr Gray's day....) and if you arm yourself with a copy of James G-P's book before you go, you'll see a picture of the Rapa Nui boys modelling the said loin cloths and bananas!!

All the best

Mandy

SylviaJ
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi All

Thanks for your kind thoughts. Don't be put off by the extremes of temperature, just make sure you have the correct clothing. It never ceases to amaze me that some travellers are totally unprepared and do not wear insulated clothing!

Having experienced this part of the world in September and now January, I would say that September is great for the different colours of the numerous lakes and the gushing waterfalls. But, surprisingly, I saw more wildlife in January and of course the frozen lakes, rivers and waterfalls. I remember rafting on the Athabasca River in September, which was completely solid in January.

Happy holidays

Sylvia

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mandy

Easter Islands is so tempting and wish I can squeeze the trip in at the same time as Mr Gray! Will have to wait and see once I am back from my Costa Rica/Nicaragua trip. I think I need a whole year off and a bank load of cash so I can fulfil my travel dream!

Regards

Jaya

Fairydust
(Member)
'SylviaJ' wrote:

Hi Mandy

Like you I have previously visited this area - JY Canadian Rockies & Vancouver in September 2013, but without the Rocky Mountaineer.

The replacement hotel in Banff - Elk + Avenue - was lovely and in a good position for the town unlike in 2013 where the Rundlestone Lodge was a good walk.  I saw all the vivid colours of the various lakes and the gushing waterfalls at that time and was keen to see the area in the wilds of winter.  I even have a photo of me dipping my toes into Lake Louise - no chance of that in winter as all the lakes and rivers were frozen.  

When in Jasper I previously stayed in the Amethyst Lodge on Connaught Drive (where you get shaken out of your bed by the trains!)  which had a similar layout to Lobstick.  Amethyst Lodge is now called The Crimson after it's face lift, but you probably still get disturbed by the trains.

Switzerland was a lovely short holiday too, but consumed too much there and I now want to visit Switzerland in the summertime.

Before the JY Parks in September next for me is Berlin, Dresden and Colditz in April, Iceland in May and Sardinia & Corsica in June - with different companies.  As for retirement, every day is either a birthday, christmas, weekend or duvet day!

Bye for now

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,  Is that you who I was on that spectacular trip to Iceland in May this year, I'm pretty sure it is you because I remember asking you about this Canadian trip.  My name is Jane and we always sat at the front of the coach   :shy: . It would be lovely to hear from you if it is xx

SylviaJ
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Fairydust' wrote:

Hi Sylvia,  Is that you who I was on that spectacular trip to Iceland in May this year, I'm pretty sure it is you because I remember asking you about this Canadian trip.  My name is Jane and we always sat at the front of the coach   :shy: . It would be lovely to hear from you if it is xx

Hi Jane

Yes, it's me!  I can honestly say Iceland was a superb holiday.  It was full on because of the numerous hotel changes and circumnavigating the whole island.  I returned home exhausted.   

I'm off to the USA National Parks in September, just been granted a visa, so Yellowstone etc here I come and I'll need to cram in a few more USA holidays before the visa expires!!!! What you been up to and are you planning on taking the winter Rockies holiday, which I highly recommend?

Sylvia

Fairydust
(Member)
'SylviaJ' wrote:

'Fairydust' wrote:

Hi Jane

Yes, it's me!  I can honestly say Iceland was a superb holiday.  It was full on because of the numerous hotel changes and circumnavigating the whole island.  I returned home exhausted.   

I'm off to the USA National Parks in September, just been granted a visa, so Yellowstone etc here I come and I'll need to cram in a few more USA holidays before the visa expires!!!! What you been up to and are you planning on taking the winter Rockies holiday, which I highly recommend?

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,

Yes like you I'm off on Route 66 in October this year having just received my esta and then hope to do the winter spectacular Rockies sometime in the not too distant future, but I believe you need a Canadian visa for this so may well concentrate a bit more on American trips. You never know we may yet run into each other along the way!! I expect the Route 66 to also be full on like Iceland going through 7 states in all but determined to do lots of travel while still healthy and fit to do so. Lovely to hear from you.

Keep on trekking!!

Jane