janib
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I had read Alan's review before I went up to the Dales.

There were thirty of us who arrived at the Rendezvous Hotel, Skipton on Sunday 11th September. It backs onto the Leeds - Liverpool Canal. Once we had all booked in, chosen our dinner and 3 days of sandwich filling, we walked along the towpath to Skipton so that we knew where we had to walk back from on Tuesday. Min, our tour leader gave us lots of information as we went along including time in Skipton to look around.

Monday was Settle to Stackhouse and Stainforth Falls. Lots of very tiny holes in the walls with stiles along the route. As someone said- no fat shepherds in those days 😉 We had Heather and Jonathan as our walker guides, one at the front and back to make sure we all kept up and no-one was left behind. After Stainforth Falls and a steep hill upto the car park and toilets, we went through the village and up more hills. As Min said, short steps and slowly- worked for me, passing some people who had stopped as they were puffed out. Stopped for lunch I think at Catrigg Falls, hiding down a sharp walk which I knew that I was not going to make back up. There was a choice of two walks back to Settle, along by some caves or down the gentler walk which was easier for me. I have a lung problem and an old knee injury made itself known on this descent. Finished walk in Settle, had a drink in the Naked Man, then went shopping and a quick visit to the church.

Tuesday was Haworth and the choice of two walks. Min gave us a potted guide to Wuthering Heights which I have hated since 'O' Levels in 1973. Wished I had that guide then :rolleyes:  A choice of walking upto Within Farm where Emily was said to have her inspiration or Oakworth on the Railway Children Walk. There were no trains on the Keighley and Worth Valley Light Railway that day, arriving at Oakworth and it was obvious why. A steam crane was lifting new rails onto the track at the Level Crossing. This station is where they filmed The Railway Children. On our way back to Haworth Station, we also saw the Station Master's house that Bernard Cribbens was suppose to live in and the tunnel where Jim was injured. By Haworth , my knee had given up so I missed the trip to Oxenhope and see Three Chimneys that the family lived in. Haworth is built on a hill with beautiful shops. Being September, most are closed as they think once the children are back at school, there are no tourists :dodgy: 

Wednesday and I decided to stay behind due to my knee being unstable- I had doubts that I would be able to drive on the next day 😕 . 11 mile walk from Buckden to Kettlewell then over the moors to Grassington. Most of the group made the full walk, I believe 8 stopped after the first walk taking the coach onto Grassington. I decided to have a gentle stroll into Skipton catching the number 66 bus which stopped near the hotel. I had booked that morning a cream tea for £14.95- well worth the money 🙂

Sandwiches were in a bag with crisps, nuts, fruit and a cake with a bottle of water. Dinner was a 3 course meal which you decided in the morning- difficult to remember by the evening 🙂 Tea and coffee in your room. I had a room at the back overlooking the Canal. Very quiet except when a car bumped over the metal bridge upto the farms at 02.30 in the morning :dodgy: 

So my thoughts after- take walking poles- left dad's by the front door 😠 Did need them on some of the wetter ground. Luckily I had waterproofs and good walking boots, did not rain except after Haworth and we had a humdinger of a thunderstorm that evening. Managed to buy a knee support at Haworth which helped.

The age group was 50's to 80's and as one of the youngest at 59, I was mortified that I was overtaken by many of the elders. They belong to rambling groups near their homes so that explained how they had the stamina to keep going :heart: 

Min told us about the new tours next year, one no, the other I would love to do- take poles 😃 

Min was a fount of all knowledge. Told us all we needed to know, making sure we knew times to meet and we were usually early and away on time. You had to pick up your lunch at the desk- she checked each day to make sure none had been left behind.

Jan

katy1717
(Member)
Hi Jan, many thanks for the review. I'm interested in doing this tour, so good to have the information. I think I'm pretty fit, but good to know you can take it easier if necessary.

Regards

Katy

Bosuncat
(Member)
It's an area I would love to spend more time in than I have, but sadly I think this would be beyond me.

Great review Jan.  Thank you.

🙂

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Jan

Great review sounds liked ou had a good time, like you I might be a young one STILL but my joint would not be fit enough for this tour unfortunately.

It's good JY offer holidays of all different types...

Cindy

John-h
(Member)
'janib' wrote:

I had read Alan's review before I went up to the Dales.

There were thirty of us who arrived at the Rendezvous Hotel, Skipton on Sunday 11th September. It backs onto the Leeds - Liverpool Canal. Once we had all booked in, chosen our dinner and 3 days of sandwich filling, we walked along the towpath to Skipton so that we knew where we had to walk back from on Tuesday. Min, our tour leader gave us lots of information as we went along including time in Skipton to look around.

Monday was Settle to Stackhouse and Stainforth Falls. Lots of very tiny holes in the walls with stiles along the route. As someone said- no fat shepherds in those days 😉 We had Heather and Jonathan as our walker guides, one at the front and back to make sure we all kept up and no-one was left behind. After Stainforth Falls and a steep hill upto the car park and toilets, we went through the village and up more hills. As Min said, short steps and slowly- worked for me, passing some people who had stopped as they were puffed out. Stopped for lunch I think at Catrigg Falls, hiding down a sharp walk which I knew that I was not going to make back up. There was a choice of two walks back to Settle, along by some caves or down the gentler walk which was easier for me. I have a lung problem and an old knee injury made itself known on this descent. Finished walk in Settle, had a drink in the Naked Man, then went shopping and a quick visit to the church.

Tuesday was Haworth and the choice of two walks. Min gave us a potted guide to Wuthering Heights which I have hated since 'O' Levels in 1973. Wished I had that guide then :rolleyes:  A choice of walking upto Within Farm where Emily was said to have her inspiration or Oakworth on the Railway Children Walk. There were no trains on the Keighley and Worth Valley Light Railway that day, arriving at Oakworth and it was obvious why. A steam crane was lifting new rails onto the track at the Level Crossing. This station is where they filmed The Railway Children. On our way back to Haworth Station, we also saw the Station Master's house that Bernard Cribbens was suppose to live in and the tunnel where Jim was injured. By Haworth , my knee had given up so I missed the trip to Oxenhope and see Three Chimneys that the family lived in. Haworth is built on a hill with beautiful shops. Being September, most are closed as they think once the children are back at school, there are no tourists :dodgy: 

Wednesday and I decided to stay behind due to my knee being unstable- I had doubts that I would be able to drive on the next day 😕 . 11 mile walk from Buckden to Kettlewell then over the moors to Grassington. Most of the group made the full walk, I believe 8 stopped after the first walk taking the coach onto Grassington. I decided to have a gentle stroll into Skipton catching the number 66 bus which stopped near the hotel. I had booked that morning a cream tea for £14.95- well worth the money 🙂

Sandwiches were in a bag with crisps, nuts, fruit and a cake with a bottle of water. Dinner was a 3 course meal which you decided in the morning- difficult to remember by the evening 🙂 Tea and coffee in your room. I had a room at the back overlooking the Canal. Very quiet except when a car bumped over the metal bridge upto the farms at 02.30 in the morning :dodgy: 

So my thoughts after- take walking poles- left dad's by the front door 😠 Did need them on some of the wetter ground. Luckily I had waterproofs and good walking boots, did not rain except after Haworth and we had a humdinger of a thunderstorm that evening. Managed to buy a knee support at Haworth which helped.

The age group was 50's to 80's and as one of the youngest at 59, I was mortified that I was overtaken by many of the elders. They belong to rambling groups near their homes so that explained how they had the stamina to keep going :heart: 

Min told us about the new tours next year, one no, the other I would love to do- take poles 😃 

Min was a fount of all knowledge. Told us all we needed to know, making sure we knew times to meet and we were usually early and away on time. You had to pick up your lunch at the desk- she checked each day to make sure none had been left behind.

Jan

Hello..

I'm looking at doing these walks in 2017, and I found your post very interesting and informative, I've done quite a few walks myself so I don't think I should have many or any problems (fingers crossed) .

Be nice to hear from anyone else who is contemplating this next year too.

Regards

John

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
John

It might be worth you posting a new thread asking that question on the main board, you might get more chance of an answer then.

Cindy

John-h
(Member)
Hello

I'm looking at doing these walks in 2017, and I found your post very interesting and informative, I've done quite a few walks myself so I don't think I should have many or any problems (fingers crossed) .

Be nice to hear from anyone else who is contemplating this next year too.

Regards

John