AbbaDave
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just back from this wonderful tour of Vietnam with Just You, there were 20 Travellers in our group 3 men and 17 women and we all bonded well and without any problems for out TM manager to worry about and nobody falling ill though one lady did slip and fall near the pool one evening after a rain shower but thankfully no injury as such just an incident form for her to fill in

we flew with Malaysia airlines via Kuala Lumpur and no problems there the crew looked after us from start to finish arriving in Hanoi the capital of Vietnam in the early afternoon, this evening we had a welcome dinner and drink meeting up in the bar around 6.30 for happy hour before our couch took us to a top Vietnamese restaurant called Wild Rice, the following morning we had a full day tour which was intriguing rounded off with a very enjoyable especially our amazing Cyclo ride through the amazing streets of Hanoi, motorcycles everywhere as they all zip between and round us as we waive our way through the crazy traffic with no traffic laws whatsoever it was such a joy to see and be part of, the day was rounded off with a much more relaxed hour at the theatre for the water puppet show

after two nights in Hanoi we moved on by coach departing at 8am for the 4 hour journey to Halong Bay with a café stop being made midway, on arrived we were transferred to our Junk boat by Tender with lunch on arrival a eight or nine course of Vietnamese cuisine mainly fish as we cruised round the stunning Halong Bay with all the beautiful rock formations rising from the water, for this cruise you need to take a small bag with all your overnight needs as your main suitcase remains safely locked on the coach, you will be able to transfer toiletries etc back into your main suitcase the next day before we check in for our onward flight, after lunch you will have the opportunity to visit a cave, there are however around 200 steps to get up to it so if you have mobility problems I would advise to stay on the junk and relax this isn't compulsory and is not an optional, the cabins are pretty basic but very pleasant and have bathroom they are better than you would expect, the group though were divided into 2 groups onto two separate boats which they lined together as meals were taken all together on the one boat, dinner again was mainly fish, a little disappointing if like me you don't eat fish but our wonderful TM manager Branwen arranged for non fish eaters to have an alternative for the rest of the tour, ie: was only me really who refused to try it

The next morning was a joy as we awoke to find us cruising with stunning views from the cabin and out on deck was so lovely before sitting for breakfast at eight, not a fish in sight at breakfast I was pleased to see, breakfast at all the hotels on tour were of buffet style and plenty to choose from hot bacon sausage baked beans tomato etc etc they were all there and an egg station where you can have any egg cooked in front of you

back to port around nine am before our 4 hr coach journey back to Hanoi and our onward flight of 1 hour to Hue, most stayed in tonight as we arrived rather late but a few of us did get a taxi to a restaurant called 'Elegance' very nice indeed and so glad we went out, a bustling area of restaurants and bars

the following morning we left about nine with much sightseeing to fit in including a cruise on the perfume river and a lovely cruise along the ocean front and a stop at China beach to dip our feet in the south china sea arriving at our hotel in beautiful Hoi an around 5.30

Hoi an was a delight and a pleasure, a welcome break on the beach, if you get the Victoria you're in for a treat, beautiful place, has its own private beach and pool, lovely lovely staff, happy hour bar, super dinner buffet, you are here for three nights so ample time to do the excursions and relax, I really recommend the optional cycle ride which took place the following morning, its not difficult at all rather gentle and so much fun, you cycle for about an hour in total with regular stops, all on the flat using cycle paths out in the country and a visit to a country home, be sure to take your cameras a hat and water, the cycles have baskets to carry there, I would put this as one of the highlights of the tour and as with all optionals you can pay this on the day, after a little time to freshen up back at the resort we were taken to Old Town for lunch and a walking tour which was all very nice with another visit to a different restaurant tonight back in old town returning around half nine, some did a motorbike ride in Hoi an, you also have the option to stay on in Old Town after the lunch as we did and get the bus or a taxi back

My Son the next morning leaving at 8.30 around a 1hr 20 min drive, a pleasant morning out, saw a wonderful dance show when we got there before touring the sight, our guide Hai whom we had for pretty much most of the tour was a very likeable and knowledgeable guide, we all had thought very highly of him, the tour included lunch on our return to Hoi an with the afternoon to just chill out by the pool or explore the area

our final morning in Hoi an gave us more opportunity to chill out by the pool prior to our lunchtime departure to the airport and our onward flight to Ho Chi Minh City ( Saigon )

Saigon was just an amazing city with millions or trillions of mopeds, absolutely crazy out there and if you think you are safe on the pavement think again you are certainly not as pavements are mounted on to round all the traffic all the time you really need eyes everywhere but its a sight to behold it'll grow on you and you'll love it, the cu cu tunnels were the next morning which I didn't do but the group that did do them enjoyed it, this was followed by our afternoon city tour covering Independence palace the church museum and post office an interesting afternoon returning around 5.30 followed by an evening meal at the house of Vietnam restaurant, our farewell meal, the night time journey was fascinating watching all the mopeds from the coach and again outside the restaurant trillions of them

our final full day in Vietnam took us to another hightlight The Mekong Delta, another 4 hr drive to get there but a very enjoyable cruise on the Delta watching all the river life floating markets and other barges etc with a visit to a visit and demonstration of pot rice, rice paper making etc which was nice to see before we returned to the boat to cross the river for lunch on an island, certainly different, after our day around mid afternoon this was where our group divided as those going on to Cambodia went their separate way whilst we returned to our hotel in Saigon where us 9 of the 20 not doing the add on ventured out to KFC tonight, another experience in the night time traffic that was

as we were not leaving for our flight home till 2pm some of us ventured down to the market, what an experience, good luck to anyone who can get past the first set of girls selling their tshirts, they are very persuasive and do hold on to you, they sure finished us off as we couldn't get to see the rest of the market so yes they all are rather aggressive we made back for the safety of our hotel

TOUR MANAGER

Branwen Edwards was one of the most wonderful Tour Managers I have ever come across, she will take care of you from start to finish always happy and smiling clearly loves her job so if you have Branwen you are in for a real treat and I can only emphasise the same with our tour guide Hai

HOTELS

all are super standard nice large rooms TV bathrooms tea/coffee complimentary water, mini fridges, most seemed to have hair dryers, super large beds and much more, in pretty good locations

MONEY

I took £50 worth of Dong and £300 in US$ both are widely accepted everywhere, this was ample and I came back with around 50$ and I gave Hai a $50 tip and forked out the same for a new suitcase as mine got badly damaged on route so other than that what I took was ample, food and drink was very reasonable, around 2-4$ for a beer depending on size, draught, bottle or can, a meal we had at that Elegance restaurant in Hue only came to around £10 and we had a couple of pints main meal and a dessert, we found Dong a nightmare with all the noughts and hard to get rid of at times as even when you pay in dollars you may get change back in dong so I recommend being in control of your dong ie: not too much of it left come the end of the tour BUT if you do go to KFC in Saigon be aware they only take Dong

WEATHER

was mostly Hot and Humid with the odd shower here and there, temp ranging from 28 to 34 in Saigon with 88 p/c humidity at times

CLOTHING

you don't really need any warm gear like cardigans and jumpers fleeces not in November anyway, rain mac is useful or small brolly, mostly tshirts and shorts were the order of the day or dresses and frocks, good walking shoes or crocs for climbing around sites or the cave at Halong Bay which can be slippery and also useful around the pool or getting on and off the boats

FOOD

was mostly this 8/9 course stuff, very good food but I am so fussy I will not try anything, too much fish dishes also and there were many included meals on this tour most people enjoyed the food ( only me didn't )

COACHES

very comfortable and regular water was given out which was a bonus hardly had to buy any, excellent drivers also, I would not like to drive with all these mopeds around and we did witness one horrific accident involving a coach and a moped/motorcycle

and I think that's about it for now I think I've covered pretty much everything, Vietnam is a very beautiful country which I highly recommend to anyone considering it DO IT

regards

Dave

RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
Dave, really enjoyed reading your review of all the places you visited and all the useful information and tips. It sounds as though it was a great holiday with wonderful sights to see along the way.

Rae

SarahS
(Member)
Wow. This holiday is certainly moving up my wish list. Thanks for such a comprehensive review.
maglynn
(Member)
'AbbaDave' wrote:

Just back from this wonderful tour of Vietnam with Just You, there were 20 Travellers in our group 3 men and 17 women and we all bonded well and without any problems for out TM manager to worry about and nobody falling ill though one lady did slip and fall near the pool one evening after a rain shower but thankfully no injury as such just an incident form for her to fill in

we flew with Malaysia airlines via Kuala Lumpur and no problems there the crew looked after us from start to finish arriving in Hanoi the capital of Vietnam in the early afternoon, this evening we had a welcome dinner and drink meeting up in the bar around 6.30 for happy hour before our couch took us to a top Vietnamese restaurant called Wild Rice, the following morning we had a full day tour which was intriguing rounded off with a very enjoyable especially our amazing Cyclo ride through the amazing streets of Hanoi, motorcycles everywhere as they all zip between and round us as we waive our way through the crazy traffic with no traffic laws whatsoever it was such a joy to see and be part of, the day was rounded off with a much more relaxed hour at the theatre for the water puppet show

after two nights in Hanoi we moved on by coach departing at 8am for the 4 hour journey to Halong Bay with a café stop being made midway, on arrived we were transferred to our Junk boat by Tender with lunch on arrival a eight or nine course of Vietnamese cuisine mainly fish as we cruised round the stunning Halong Bay with all the beautiful rock formations rising from the water, for this cruise you need to take a small bag with all your overnight needs as your main suitcase remains safely locked on the coach, you will be able to transfer toiletries etc back into your main suitcase the next day before we check in for our onward flight, after lunch you will have the opportunity to visit a cave, there are however around 200 steps to get up to it so if you have mobility problems I would advise to stay on the junk and relax this isn't compulsory and is not an optional, the cabins are pretty basic but very pleasant and have bathroom they are better than you would expect, the group though were divided into 2 groups onto two separate boats which they lined together as meals were taken all together on the one boat, dinner again was mainly fish, a little disappointing if like me you don't eat fish but our wonderful TM manager Branwen arranged for non fish eaters to have an alternative for the rest of the tour, ie: was only me really who refused to try it

The next morning was a joy as we awoke to find us cruising with stunning views from the cabin and out on deck was so lovely before sitting for breakfast at eight, not a fish in sight at breakfast I was pleased to see, breakfast at all the hotels on tour were of buffet style and plenty to choose from hot bacon sausage baked beans tomato etc etc they were all there and an egg station where you can have any egg cooked in front of you

back to port around nine am before our 4 hr coach journey back to Hanoi and our onward flight of 1 hour to Hue, most stayed in tonight as we arrived rather late but a few of us did get a taxi to a restaurant called 'Elegance' very nice indeed and so glad we went out, a bustling area of restaurants and bars

the following morning we left about nine with much sightseeing to fit in including a cruise on the perfume river and a lovely cruise along the ocean front and a stop at China beach to dip our feet in the south china sea arriving at our hotel in beautiful Hoi an around 5.30

Hoi an was a delight and a pleasure, a welcome break on the beach, if you get the Victoria you're in for a treat, beautiful place, has its own private beach and pool, lovely lovely staff, happy hour bar, super dinner buffet, you are here for three nights so ample time to do the excursions and relax, I really recommend the optional cycle ride which took place the following morning, its not difficult at all rather gentle and so much fun, you cycle for about an hour in total with regular stops, all on the flat using cycle paths out in the country and a visit to a country home, be sure to take your cameras a hat and water, the cycles have baskets to carry there, I would put this as one of the highlights of the tour and as with all optionals you can pay this on the day, after a little time to freshen up back at the resort we were taken to Old Town for lunch and a walking tour which was all very nice with another visit to a different restaurant tonight back in old town returning around half nine, some did a motorbike ride in Hoi an, you also have the option to stay on in Old Town after the lunch as we did and get the bus or a taxi back

My Son the next morning leaving at 8.30 around a 1hr 20 min drive, a pleasant morning out, saw a wonderful dance show when we got there before touring the sight, our guide Hai whom we had for pretty much most of the tour was a very likeable and knowledgeable guide, we all had thought very highly of him, the tour included lunch on our return to Hoi an with the afternoon to just chill out by the pool or explore the area

our final morning in Hoi an gave us more opportunity to chill out by the pool prior to our lunchtime departure to the airport and our onward flight to Ho Chi Minh City ( Saigon )

Saigon was just an amazing city with millions or trillions of mopeds, absolutely crazy out there and if you think you are safe on the pavement think again you are certainly not as pavements are mounted on to round all the traffic all the time you really need eyes everywhere but its a sight to behold it'll grow on you and you'll love it, the cu cu tunnels were the next morning which I didn't do but the group that did do them enjoyed it, this was followed by our afternoon city tour covering Independence palace the church museum and post office an interesting afternoon returning around 5.30 followed by an evening meal at the house of Vietnam restaurant, our farewell meal, the night time journey was fascinating watching all the mopeds from the coach and again outside the restaurant trillions of them

our final full day in Vietnam took us to another hightlight The Mekong Delta, another 4 hr drive to get there but a very enjoyable cruise on the Delta watching all the river life floating markets and other barges etc with a visit to a visit and demonstration of pot rice, rice paper making etc which was nice to see before we returned to the boat to cross the river for lunch on an island, certainly different, after our day around mid afternoon this was where our group divided as those going on to Cambodia went their separate way whilst we returned to our hotel in Saigon where us 9 of the 20 not doing the add on ventured out to KFC tonight, another experience in the night time traffic that was

as we were not leaving for our flight home till 2pm some of us ventured down to the market, what an experience, good luck to anyone who can get past the first set of girls selling their tshirts, they are very persuasive and do hold on to you, they sure finished us off as we couldn't get to see the rest of the market so yes they all are rather aggressive we made back for the safety of our hotel

TOUR MANAGER

Branwen Edwards was one of the most wonderful Tour Managers I have ever come across, she will take care of you from start to finish always happy and smiling clearly loves her job so if you have Branwen you are in for a real treat and I can only emphasise the same with our tour guide Hai

HOTELS

all are super standard nice large rooms TV bathrooms tea/coffee complimentary water, mini fridges, most seemed to have hair dryers, super large beds and much more, in pretty good locations

MONEY

I took £50 worth of Dong and £300 in US$ both are widely accepted everywhere, this was ample and I came back with around 50$ and I gave Hai a $50 tip and forked out the same for a new suitcase as mine got badly damaged on route so other than that what I took was ample, food and drink was very reasonable, around 2-4$ for a beer depending on size, draught, bottle or can, a meal we had at that Elegance restaurant in Hue only came to around £10 and we had a couple of pints main meal and a dessert, we found Dong a nightmare with all the noughts and hard to get rid of at times as even when you pay in dollars you may get change back in dong so I recommend being in control of your dong ie: not too much of it left come the end of the tour BUT if you do go to KFC in Saigon be aware they only take Dong

WEATHER

was mostly Hot and Humid with the odd shower here and there, temp ranging from 28 to 34 in Saigon with 88 p/c humidity at times

CLOTHING

you don't really need any warm gear like cardigans and jumpers fleeces not in November anyway, rain mac is useful or small brolly, mostly tshirts and shorts were the order of the day or dresses and frocks, good walking shoes or crocs for climbing around sites or the cave at Halong Bay which can be slippery and also useful around the pool or getting on and off the boats

FOOD

was mostly this 8/9 course stuff, very good food but I am so fussy I will not try anything, too much fish dishes also and there were many included meals on this tour most people enjoyed the food ( only me didn't )

COACHES

very comfortable and regular water was given out which was a bonus hardly had to buy any, excellent drivers also, I would not like to drive with all these mopeds around and we did witness one horrific accident involving a coach and a moped/motorcycle

and I think that's about it for now I think I've covered pretty much everything, Vietnam is a very beautiful country which I highly recommend to anyone considering it DO IT

regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for that comprehensive review as I am thinking of doing this trip next year and it is great to have so much advance information about it!

Regards

Marie

Dina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Well done Dave

Review is spot on.

A little more regarding this holiday.

UNESCO listed Halong Bay is beautiful with it's limestone karsts to cruise around and was certainly a highlight on this tour.

Hoi An old town, also UNESCO listed, was a delight especially at night when it's millions of lanterns strewn across streets and in trees were lit up creating a cozy and amazing atmosphere . When we visited the old town in the evening two of us took the shuttle boat from the hotel along the river rather than going on the shuttle bus. the trip took an hour. It was a far better alternative than the bus. There were only two of us on this 8 seater rickety boat. As we meandered along the river taking photos, watching the sunset was an absolute delight.

Although all our hotels were good, our hotel in Hoi An was simply stunning, in every aspect. It was the Victoria Beach Hoi An!!

I was slightly disappointed by the boat trip on the Mekong River. I expected to see colourful floating markets, but they didn't appear. Possibly it was because it was a Sunday. The group travelling into Cambodia may have seen more floating markets in Can Tho enroute,

which is one of the biggest towns in the Mekong Delta.

Weather wise we were lucky, expecting to get wet frequently, the rain mainly descended when we were in a restaurant, on the coach or asleep. But best always to take a brolly or poncho.

Permanently hot and very humid, the small hand held fans are far more effective than the traditional ones which are on sale everywhere.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this holiday, but Julia or Monty if you read this, as two internal flights take up most of two days, just wondering, could the holiday be slightly extended to have another night in somewhere like Dalat.

Kind regards

Di

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Dave

Great review, sounds like an action packed tour. Like you I would struggle with the food. Thanks for taking the time to leave such a detailed review I am sure this will benefit others who are going..

Where are you off to next?

Cindy

AbbaDave
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Dave

Great review, sounds like an action packed tour. Like you I would struggle with the food. Thanks for taking the time to leave such a detailed review I am sure this will benefit others who are going..

Cindy

Hi Cindy

i'm off on the Borneo trip next may, can't wait for that but I have to learn to be more careful as when changing my camera card on a sunbed in hoi an I lost my card and didn't realise till we were at the airport, all efforts to find it failed so over 800 photos lost forever I only have Saigon, am still upset about it

regards Dave

katy1717
(Member)
Hi Dave, many thanks for the comprehensive review. Vietnam is top of my wishlist and has been for a while, but have been put off by the flights used, connections etc. But I think I'd really like the food, fish is something I always pick in restaurants!.

Katy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Dave, delighted you had a great time in Vietnam. I was there in 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Did you have clear views in Halong Bay? As it was foggy when we were there, which is generally the case by all accounts! I had Branwen in China last year and I agree with all you said; she is such a lovely person, so kind and enthusiastic about everything.

Cheers,

Bob

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Great review Dave and glad to hear Malaysian Airlines and Kuala Lumpur were OK as I am flying that way in Feb on to Burma.
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'AbbaDave' wrote:

'nixon' wrote:

Dave

Cindy

Hi Cindy

i'm off on the Borneo trip next may, can't wait for that but I have to learn to be more careful as when changing my camera card on a sunbed in hoi an I lost my card and didn't realise till we were at the airport, all efforts to find it failed so over 800 photos lost forever I only have Saigon, am still upset about it

regards Dave

Dave

Oh NO that's so sad you lost the camera card...did you swap emails with people so they can send you there pictures, I know it's not the same but it's better than nothing...I only ever fiddle with my camera in the room...I made the mistake going to 9/11 museum clicking away to find the card was full, my spare was in the hotel bedroom safe!!!!!! So I had to spend a few minutes deleting things ASAP...didn't make that mistake again...

Enjoy Borneo have fun travelling and take care

Cindy

JeanK62
(Member)
Dave,

Thank you for the comprehensive review re your Vietnam Holiday. I'm booked for March so it was useful and interesting to read what's in store.

Jean

Sue16
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Dina' wrote:

Well done Dave

Review is spot on.

A little more regarding this holiday.

UNESCO listed Halong Bay is beautiful with it's limestone karsts to cruise around and was certainly a highlight on this tour.

Hoi An old town, also UNESCO listed, was a delight especially at night when it's millions of lanterns strewn across streets and in trees were lit up creating a cozy and amazing atmosphere . When we visited the old town in the evening two of us took the shuttle boat from the hotel along the river rather than going on the shuttle bus. the trip took an hour. It was a far better alternative than the bus. There were only two of us on this 8 seater rickety boat. As we meandered along the river taking photos, watching the sunset was an absolute delight.

Although all our hotels were good, our hotel in Hoi An was simply stunning, in every aspect. It was the Victoria Beach Hoi An!!

I was slightly disappointed by the boat trip on the Mekong River. I expected to see colourful floating markets, but they didn't appear. Possibly it was because it was a Sunday. The group travelling into Cambodia may have seen more floating markets in Can Tho enroute,

which is one of the biggest towns in the Mekong Delta.

Weather wise we were lucky, expecting to get wet frequently, the rain mainly descended when we were in a restaurant, on the coach or asleep. But best always to take a brolly or poncho.

Permanently hot and very humid, the small hand held fans are far more effective than the traditional ones which are on sale everywhere.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this holiday, but Julia or Monty if you read this, as two internal flights take up most of two days, just wondering, could the holiday be slightly extended to have another night in somewhere like Dalat.

Kind regards

Di

Brilliant review Dave and Dina, really makes me want to try this trip. Look forward to seeing some of your photos Dina when you have a chance.

Sue

AbbaDave
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Bob

no it was beautiful in Halong Bay we were lucky both the day we arrived and the following morning, the caves were very interesting

regards

Dave

AbbaDave
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Cindy

yes Branwen very kindly requested that those send me pics of all the places we've been and also sent an email list round which I have a copy, of all the places for my card to fill up, had this been anywhere else I would not have lost it, such a shame but I got some crazy footage of all the motorcycles in ho chi minh city

Dave

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'AbbaDave' wrote:

Hi Cindy

yes Branwen very kindly requested that those send me pics of all the places we've been and also sent an email list round which I have a copy, of all the places for my card to fill up, had this been anywhere else I would not have lost it, such a shame but I got some crazy footage of all the motorcycles in ho chi minh city

Dave

Dave

Glad there was an answer to your problem anything is better than nothing! Lesson learnt I am sure.

Cindy

LYNDAKNOBEL
(Member)
'AbbaDave' wrote:

'nixon' wrote:

Dave

Cindy

Hi Cindy

regards Dave

Hi Dave,

Enjoyed reading your brilliant review, it brought back lovely memories - I did this tour with the add on nearly a year ago. I'm also doing the Wild Borneo tour in May - looking forward to meeting you and all the other forum 'regulars'!

Sorry to hear about your memory card, I might be able to help, took loads of photos, about 700 and I've got them all on Google Picasa web albums. If you can forward your email address to me I'll be happy to send them to you.

Best wishes

Lynda

Bubblewrap
(Member)
To anyone who's thinking of doing this trip but worried about having to eat fish, I am vegetarian (no meat or fish) and did this tour last year.

I was well catered for, given plenty to eat and didn't go hungry.

Vietnam has a large buddhist population and cater well for vegetarians so please go even if you don't eat fish, just let your guide know in advance and you will be well fed with delicious food.

Julie White
(Member)
Thanks Dave,

Great review and very helpful. I am going to Vietnam with Cambodia at Christmas with Just You.

It is getting close now and this review has got me very excited for my forthcoming trip.

Thanks again Julie

AbbaDave
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Lynda

Thanks for that would love to see some from your trip its ***********************

looking forward to your and all the others on wild borneo in may

Dina has kindly sent me all hers on cd's was so kind of her

all the best

Dave