Bosuncat
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I travelled down to Heathrow on 15th September and stayed overnight at the Premier Inn on Bath Road. If anyone needs a recommendation for a good hotel at Heathrow I am more than happy to recommend this one. Lovely staff, so comfortable beds and very decent food. The meal deal is certainly well worth taking. I actually got to the airport not hungry for once!.

I had met up with Janet from the forum the night before for a drink and we travelled to the terminal together. I had not used the new Terminal 2 before and it really is nice. Lots of space and seating. We met up with a couple of ladies who were also on the trip prior to boarding, which was really nice, and had a coffee and a chat together. There was a rep at the terminal (albeit with a Travelsphere clipboard) but she didn't put herself out there to be visible.

The flight over to Rijeka was okay. I can't say that I am totally nuts about Croatia Airlines. The snack was just that. Some very dry biscuits and a few cubes of cheese and olives in oil which I could not eat. The large dose of white wine was nice though. :thumbup:

So we landed at Rijeka on time (dinky little airport with just one conveyor belt) and were met by Vladka (V). Lovely to see her again, and she recognised me and gave me a hug. :)

We arrived at our Hotel in Lovran less than a hour later after a lovely drive along the Kvarner Riviera. Unfortunately it was somewhat cloudy so we didn't get the full benefit. Smooth transfer up to our rooms. I had deliberately chosen a sea view room, and got one on the 7th floor right at the end of the floor with a nice little balcony with a stunning view right over the coastline. The room was very good on the whole. Large albeit with 2 single beds made into one. Minibar and safe which you didn't have to pay for, and a good sized bathroom, although I thought the shower over the bath was quite poor and my hairdryer was awful and had been mended with sellotape at one point. It was useable though. If anyone needs a decent hairdryer please take one with you! Nice TV with about 6 channels in English which was good. Please be aware that there are no bathmats so care has to be taken getting into and out of the bath. Towels were changed on a very regular basis. The floor in the main part of the room is carpeted and the darkish beige carpet is showing some stains. Everywhere though was spotlessly clean and the lighting in the corridors was good. The lifts can be slow so have patience!

The food in the restaurant is all buffet style. A little repetitive, but I always found something to eat. The choice at breakfast was very good I thought. Plenty of hot choice, eggs (boiled, fried and scrambled, bacon and sausages). Coffee is out of a machine, and not brilliant but drinkable. I didn't try the tea but by the looks of some of the tea bags there were some strange choices. Take your own tea bags! Desserts were very poor, although there were plenty of choices of ice cream in big tubs. Drinks were payable at table in the evening.

The bar at the hotel was run most efficiently in the evening by a lovely lady who worked very, very, hard, and was so kind to us. She remembered what I wanted every night bless her. Nice choice of cocktails. Nice seating, either inside, or on a terrace outside looking over the bay. You either pay as you go or put it on your bill. The pool bar downstairs is only open for a couple of hours at lunchtime. I thought that prices were pretty good. 25 kunas for a large beer.

The hotel has a wellness centre and a indoor swimming pool (sea water). and a small outdoor pool (again sea water). I didn't venture in, just put my feet briefly in the children's pool. 😛

Plenty of sunbeds bur to use. the pool you have to purchase, for a small deposit one of the hotel's beach towels. I went briefly to look at the "beach". A very small concreted area. It seemed to be well used.

Just outside the hotel is a small area of grass and trees and then a gravel path that leads to some steps down to the Lungomare. So beautiful walking by the sea. If you turn right at the bottom of the steps you get to Lovran. Left the promenade goes on and on. The is a Beach Bar about 5 minutes walk away with a far larger concreted area for swimming.

Lovran itself is an easy walk going out of the hotel entrance and turning left. The walk is downhill, but remember it is a steeper climb coming back! There is a bank with ATM, a very good pharmacy across the road from there, and then you come to some shops, tobacco shop and a small supermarket and then ultimately to some bars etc and the small harbour. Lovran Old Town is across the road just before the harbour and is simply beautiful. Lots of winding old streets to examine, and a really good restaurant which comes highly recommended from me for lunch. Believe me the starters are enough for a main course!

The weather for the first couple of days was very humid, but we had heavy rain, late evening on the second day, (which flooded my balcony). After that the weather turned into more what I expected in this part of the world. Bright and generally sunny with a nice cooling breeze.

I only went on two of the excursions as I really went for improving my walking on the Lungomare, after 2 nasty falls last year which shook my confidence for walking without a stick. The included Istrian Discovery tour has been adapted slightly from when I last went 3 years ago. It is however a very long day. We set out at 8am and didn't return until nearly 7pm. The entrance to the Ampitheatre in Pula is now included and it was great to see round there. After a visit to the Forum (good footwear needed as walking on cobbles is involved) we left for our next stop Rovinji, where a light lunch was included which I personally enjoyed. Rovinji was as beautiful as I remembered but I didn't walk up to the church this time. Steepish climb and quite slippery coming down. Instead I took myself off for a pint at one of the small bars and spent a happy hour talking to two Irish ladies. After Porec we went on into the countryside to cheese and wine tasting. A lovely place, very picturesque and a vast improvement on the last place that JY used for this.

The only other trip that I went on was the Boat Trip. Across to the lovely Island Krk and a break for swimming, etc if you wished. Then to Island Cres. The landing there only had a small bar which was vastly over crowded. The alternative was a very steep climb up to a hill village. Talking to some of the others I think most people would have preferred to have spent longer on Krk. The people on the boat were really good to us. Wine flowed if you wanted it, lunch was very filling and there were free soft drinks if required.

Reports I heard from the other excursions were good on the whole. Strong footwear and stamina needed for Plitivice. Also good footwear needed on most of the excursions. Euros for Slovenia, and beach shoes for the boat trip. No sand there.

To sum up, before I bore everyone to death. :P

A really good week, spent in pleasant company. There were only 16 of us and it was nice to be in a small group again. The hotel was good on the whole, apart from the shower and hairdryer being poor. I was satisfied with the buffet, although it is a bit of a hike to get each course and the tables are set very close together.

Our TM. The incomparable V. I had of course met her before but she continues to be, kind, most efficient and so, so caring. :heart:

Lovely coach driver in Willi (I hope you spell it like that but doubt it). Coach was good and with it being a small group we had plenty of room to spread out.

Croatia Airlines. Not totally impressed but I have travelled with worse.

Rijeka Airport. Very, very dinky. Made a change to travel from such a small airport again. Only one small shop though. And plenty of steps up and down. No escalators. If you want your wine, cigarettes etc, perhaps advisable to get them in Lovran.

A couple of words of advice.

Very comfortable and sturdy shoes. Lots of walking generally on the trips. Beach shoes are definitely needed. Euros if you intend going to Slovenia.

That's it folks. Hope it posts completely this time. :thumbup:

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Elaine,

Fantastic review! Loved reading it.

Mark

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Elaine

Thank you for a comprehensive review. I enjoyed reading it and this is one trip I would love to do one day.

Jaya

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Elaine

Thanks for leaving such a comprehensive report, sounds like you had a good time overall. And I saw your photos on FB thanks for sharing.

Cindy

Bosuncat
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I know you have been to Opatija, Jaya but I think you would like Lovran! :thumbup: