Ellen23
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
My first holiday with Just You but it will not be my last.

I was a bit apprehensive until I got to Bari Airport and met Marsha, our excellent tour guide, and my fellow travellers.

Hotel Sierra Silvana is in a beautiful area with a lovely pool. The rooms are large, clean with plenty of storage. The dinner menu was chosen at breakfast giving plenty of selection and a chance to try local dishes. We had three tables of nine and by sitting at a different table every day I was able to talk to each member of our group.

The tours were well organised by Marsha. She knows the area and was able to give detailed information before each visit and point out excellent places to stop for lunch. You will not go hungry on this trip. On the trips to Matera and Lecce we had local guides and used head sets with ear pieces for our walking tours.

The weather was 28/32 with balmy evenings enabling us to have one or two Limoncellos around the pool after dinner. There is a small supermarket and bar only a few minutes walk from the hotel.

Apulia is totally unspoilt and beautiful discover it soon before it gets busy.

Avocet64
(Member)
'Ellen23' wrote:

I was a bit apprehensive until I got to Bari Airport and met Marsha, our excellent tour guide, and my fellow travellers.

Hotel Sierra Silvana is in a beautiful area with a lovely pool. The rooms are large, clean with plenty of storage. The dinner menu was chosen at breakfast giving plenty of selection and a chance to try local dishes. We had three tables of nine and by sitting at a different table every day I was able to talk to each member of our group.

The tours were well organised by Marsha. She knows the area and was able to give detailed information before each visit and point out excellent places to stop for lunch. You will not go hungry on this trip. On the trips to Matera and Lecce we had local guides and used head sets with ear pieces for our walking tours.

The weather was 28/32 with balmy evenings enabling us to have one or two Limoncellos around the pool after dinner. There is a small supermarket and bar only a few minutes walk from the hotel.

I am so glad you enjoyed your first holiday. I totally agree with what you say about Apulia, I did this holiday around the same time last year, such a lovely time of year to go. I normally like to do long haul but squeezed in an extra as it was a part of Italy I had never been to before, as you say it's so unspoilt, I loved every minute, would even consider going back especially if I thought Marsha would be TM, what a lovely bubbly person she is.

Happy future holidays

Bosuncat
(Member)
'Ellen23' wrote:

Nice review Ellen. Thank you. It's a part of Italy that I have never been and always keep in mind. :thumbup:

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
I did this holiday in September 2013 and quite agree with both Ellen and Avocet that Marsha is an excellent TM. I understand the programme has been tweaked slightly since I went but I am sure it will still be a very enjoyable holiday in a relatively unknown part of Italy.

Ann

Little P
(Member)
I too have just returned from my first holiday with Just You ,& am very pleased I chose Discover Apulia. I totally agree with everything Ellen says.I could not fault one thing, it was so well organised & all the excursions were really enjoyable.The Apulia region has so much to offer, from white washed villages, towns full of history,beaches, shopping & of course great food. It was made extra special due to Marsha, our guide, she was always so cheerful & looked after our every need. Thanks also to my fellow travelers for making this a trip to remember. You were all so friendly & here's to the next adventure.
fleurbyfleur
(Member)
Hello Ann - I was there too last September. I think Marsha was new to the tour then but you'd never have known.

She couldn't do enough to make sure we all enjoyed ourselves. A lovely memorable holiday with interesting and memorable fellow travellers! This area of Italy was recommended by a TM in Sicily earlier in the year and it didn't disappoint.

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ellen23,

thanks for your review.

This, along with Calabria, is an area of italy that i am becoming more interested in due to the fantastic reviews it continues to get.

Thanks

Mark

mansel
(Member)
I was also on the June 1st holiday. I also booked a one week extension at the hotel, and just spent my time in the second week doing very little! I mixed and dined with the group which came out on the subsequent tour and returned with them including Marsha.

Mansel

doris 1
(Member)
:)
'mansel' wrote:

I was also on the June 1st holiday. I also booked a one week extension at the hotel, and just spent my time in the second week doing very little! I mixed and dined with the group which came out on the subsequent tour and returned with them including Marsha.

Mansel

doris 1
(Member)
'Ellen23' wrote:

Thank you for this lovely review. Have just booked this holiday for end of September. Just returned from Tuscany this month, it was my first Just You holiday and I loved it.

Deva21
(Member)
'fleurbyfleur' wrote:

Hello Ann - I was there too last September. I think Marsha was new to the tour then but you'd never have known.

She couldn't do enough to make sure we all enjoyed ourselves. A lovely memorable holiday with interesting and memorable fellow travellers! This area of Italy was recommended by a TM in Sicily earlier in the year and it didn't disappoint.

Hi Fleurbyfleur,

I was on the Apulia trip last year, during the first week of June, and Marsha was our TM, too... and we were not her first group either, so she could not have been "new" in September. I wonder what gave you the impression that she was?

It was my first trip with JY, and I couldn't have chosen a better trip to go on, on my own! As you will agree, Apulia is such a gorgeous part of Italy, the scenery was just breathtaking and the countryside surprisingly clean. I was very tempted to go back this year, too, on the 1st June, but opted for Sicily. However, I know I will go back to that wonderful region, and maybe Marsha still will be around there next year...

Best wishes,

Deva21

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello, Deva

I think it is a case of "how time flies" - it was September 2013 when I was there and from Fleur's comment about fellow travellers I would say she was definitely on the same holiday as me!!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your holiday in a lovely part of Italy which is still mainly undiscovered except by other Italians.

Ann

BettyBoo
(Member)
I was also on this trip and agree that this was a lovely holiday made extra special by a good tour manager (Marsha), great travelling companions and plenty of good food, wine and Limoncello!! Wish I had stayed for an extra lazy week!

Betty