jonah
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Having eagerly awaited the new brochures, festive and standard, I am really disappointed to find that 3 of the 4 holidays I wanted to do only fly from Gatwick with flight times that mean at least one overnight stay and in some cases 2. In the case of the Bordeaux weekend this is an unacceptable additional cost for a 6 day holiday and even for the other two the logistics of getting to Gatwick from the Midlands without driving are mind blowing. Not to mention the extra holiday that has to be taken - nearly an extra week over the 4 holidays.

Since I have been able to find other operators going to two of the problem 3 destinations flying from Manchester why have Just You become so London orientated? I love JY holidays but I am sorry this approach is going to drive this customer away.

loopylou
(Member)
Jonah

I feel the same as you about the cost of getting to Gatwick,JY used to use Luton but for some reason no longer do so,the cost of travelling to Gatwick and overnight hotel stop on top of the holiday price plus excursions is becoming out of my reach now that i am retired. Actually i have booked a coach holiday in the UK for September,i think that the trip that i am going on next month with JY will sadly be my 19th and last.

Loopylou

Bosuncat
(Member)
I do agree folks about the Gatwick scenario. Being Midlands based and a non driver I ALWAYS have to have an overnight stay when I fly from Gatwick. Now the bed and breakfasts there seem to have shot up in price so much it's a large price to pay on top of your holiday. Plus of course the coach journey of 6 hours plus.

There again there are people a lot worse off than me who cover large distances before they even get on a flight so I stand need to moan!

I must confess that I have looked at another companies singles holidays for next year because they have a far better option on airports so we will see.

DAWNK
  • (Member)
(Member)
'loopylou' wrote:

Jonah

I feel the same as you about the cost of getting to Gatwick,JY used to use Luton but for some reason no longer do so,the cost of travelling to Gatwick and overnight hotel stop on top of the holiday price plus excursions is becoming out of my reach now that i am retired. Actually i have booked a coach holiday in the UK for September,i think that the trip that i am going on next month with JY will sadly be my 19th and last.

Loopylou

Hi, I agree completely. I live about 25 miles from Manchester airport and it is the biggest airport outside London yet so many of the holidays are only from Gatwick and even if I was prepared to travel to Gatwick there are no domestic flights from Manchester to Gatwick. I have wanted to do the Lake Garda trip and was thinking of doing it soon but now in the new brochure, you can only go from Gatwick. The city breaks to Berlin and Rome and the Calabria holiday which I would like to do are only from Gatwick. There is clearly a market for regional departures as there are quite a few people who travel from other airports outside London so why don’t they cater for us? I take most of my holidays with Just You but the way it’s going, I will have to travel with other companies if I want to travel to the destinations that I want to go to, which I don’t want to do.

Dawn K

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Once again this subject is being raised about departure airports. I do think that JY have answered this question many times as to why certain airports are used more than others.

I am always amazed at the lengths some people go to to join a tour, people travel from Ireland, Jersey and further afield, they have to fly to here, and in some cases incur 2 nights at hotels which I do understand increases there holiday price by a fair amount., but they do do it to use JY, some have to change the amount of tours due to this added cost but they don't give up. At the end of the day JY have to go with the flights that are on offer and the demand. As a client it is up to us to decide on which tour operator we use and how much effort we are prepared to put in.

On the Battlefields tour I have just been on a lady travelled down from Scotland by train to join us at St Pancras and stayed in a London hotel night before and the night we got back, which really pushed up the tour amount but she did it to join the tour.

At the end of the day JY do what they can for us, but it's a personal decision we have to make if we are prepared to spend the added amount.

This is just once again my opinion.

Cindy

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Guys,

Probs best to post this in the Ask your editor section and then you can get some feedback from julia et al.

Julia- coudl you repost for us? 🙂

Thanks

jonah
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi LoopyLou

What a shame!!. I hope you enjoy your UK holiday.

jonah
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Once again this subject is being raised about departure airports. I do think that JY have answered this question many times as to why certain airports are used more than others.

I am always amazed at the lengths some people go to to join a tour, people travel from Ireland, Jersey and further afield, they have to fly to here, and in some cases incur 2 nights at hotels which I do understand increases there holiday price by a fair amount., but they do do it to use JY, some have to change the amount of tours due to this added cost but they don't give up. At the end of the day JY have to go with the flights that are on offer and the demand. As a client it is up to us to decide on which tour operator we use and how much effort we are prepared to put in.

On the Battlefields tour I have just been on a lady travelled down from Scotland by train to join us at St Pancras and stayed in a London hotel night before and the night we got back, which really pushed up the tour amount but she did it to join the tour.

At the end of the day JY do what they can for us, but it's a personal decision we have to make if we are prepared to spend the added amount.

This is just once again my opinion.

Cindy

Hi Cindy

I agree that it is a personal choice and down to how much you want to do the holiday but sometimes even that is not enough. Having flights leaving Gatwick at 6 am and returning at 22.45 as it does on one holiday I want to do becomes unmanageable in terms of time and cost. The JY brochure clearly states more choice on regional flights and to me there is less. I wanted to do the Pompeii holiday next year which showed a Stansted departure which was just doable but when I called I was told this was no longer available but the brochure has only just come out. There are flights available because other tour operators offer them and there is clearly a demand. On the Andalucia holiday last Christmas a lady from Birmingham had travelled to Gatwick after being told twice there wasn't a flight from Birmingham available and yet in our group were people who had travelled from Birmingham.

magpie10
(Member)
Hi,

I agree with most of the above posts, I'd like to see JY offer 2/3 departure points for most European tours- Heathrow/Gatwick, Manchester, and Glasgow/Edinburgh, and possibly even Bristol.

I think it's a bit unfair to assume everyone should put themselves out if they really want to do a tour, regardless of the extra travelling and/or expense incurred as some people may be nervous of travelling on their own for the first time, have more limited mobility, or have a very limited budget. I really think JY should be looking at ways to make these tours more accessible to larger numbers of people.

Just my thoughts.

Caroline

loopylou
(Member)
Hi Jonah

Thanks for your good wishes for my UK holiday, i will be going to Cumbria,never been that far north before, how i wish that i still lived in Harlington Middlesex, i was right on the edge of Heathrow Airport. But i did not envisage any problems using other airports as i am between Luton and East Midlands which i have used before with Just You.

Kind regards

Loopylou