sarahcecilb
(Member) (Topic Starter)
So first of all let me get the negative bits out of the way - alas yes there were some, but most were from the travelers so I thought I would make you aware of the bits that may give you cause to feel negative.

The one thing I heard more than anything was the amount of travelling we had to do - this was followed by the amount of early starts that were needed to fit in the travel. Having traveled the US myself on several occasions (and also being bought up in a coaching family) this was not an issue for me, and I was well aware there would be many hours just sat watching the world go by from the confines of the coach. This is not the trip to choose if you don't like to spend 6 or 7 (often longer) hours a day sat on a coach - although the bits you will see in between more than make up for it all - but it's something you need to be aware of before booking. The fact the hotels were so far outside the parks themselves added to the amount of travel time - I'm not entirely sure why the park hotels weren't used, but can only assume it was to do with costs, as all the parks have hotels within minutes (saving the 2 or 3 hours’ drive) of the entrances. Bryce canyon was a prime example; there is an inn within a 5 minute walk of the entrance, yet we had a 1.5 hour drive from our hotel (plus the return trip) which we then had to do the next day to get to Zion. That for me is the biggest downside; the constant back and forth to and from places after leaving Salt Lake City is ridiculous and adds far more travelling hours than a direct route from one to the next would; again I can only assume this was to do with costs although I am sure it is more cost effective not to keep doubling back in the long run.

Be aware that Yellowstone is a really long day; up at 5, back to the hotel at 8 with roughly 2.5 hours off the coach, the rest of the time will be spent on it.

Because of the time restraints at all parks, you will only get to spend roughly 20 minutes - on a rare occasion we were given 45 minutes - at the stops, so be prepared to pee quickly and eat on the coach (lunch stops some days were a run into Walmart to grab a sandwich and back out again as quick as possible). With the exception being Grand, Bryce and Zion where we had 2 hours in total to spend as we chose.

Do not be fooled

The brochure is a bit misleading so don't let yourself get caught. In the brochure it states

"Your holiday includes the services of a Just You Tour Manager & Local Guides"

The holiday may include their services, but the price you pay doesn’t; we were told by our tour manager that we were to tip her and the coach driver £3 per day (this equated to $77 for each of them) and that it would be right to tip all the other guides $3 each (however the driver was more than worth his tip, as was the guide at Little Big Horn, Dave the bus driver in Deadwood, Phil the guide at Tatanka and Dave the guide at Mesa Verde - the Salt Lake City guide wasn't worth a penny in my opinion and if I had to do it again I would choose to not do the Salt Lake tour; explore the city with someone or by yourself rather than pay for the optional extra). Make sure within your spending money you allow for the guide tips - also the pilots if you do any of the flights. $250 should just about cover them all. Do make sure you tip the driver well; remember that while you may be moaning at getting up at 5 he will have been out on his coach for at least an hour by then preparing it for your day ahead; while you sit back enjoying the scenery, he will be driving you and dealing with traffic and road conditions, and maybe if he's really lucky as you come back that night after eating out, he may just be finishing for the day. On average our driver worked 16 hours every day. If anyone has a right to complain about travel time it will be your driver. Look after whoever you get – if you happen to get Clay ask him to teach you the Moose call 

They have changed the wording for the Las Vegas tours but double check your itinerary as mine stated we would have an optional evening tour from the comfort of the air conditioned coach, but as it was the coach dropped off at a spot and everyone had to walk for 5 hours between hotels before being picked back up again. I chose not to do this when I found out it was just following each other about being herded round the hotels and caught the Deuce bus and went up and down the strip exploring at my own pace (the bus is $8 for unlimited travel within a 24 hour period and well worth doing). Also the morning tour of Vegas on the leaving day ended up being an afternoon tour again of the same hotels visited the previous evening; after 3 hours I gave up with the disorganisation and went back to the Stratosphere. The rest of the travellers arrived back at the hotel just in time to leave for the airport. For the farewell drink we had 7 minutes; not really time to savour the trip and I (as well as others I spoke to) found the whole Vegas experience ruined what had been an amazing holiday – and I went into it with my eyes wide open having been there to experience it before.

Optional Extras - Las Vegas by night I have covered above

Monument Valley

Be careful not to get caught out as the brochure states that Monument Valley is an included excursion; it's not. The only way you will get to see the Valley is to do the optional 4 wheel drive tour - which is not really worth the money as you just get driven from one street vendor to another, albeit with some magnificent rocks in between, but half an hour for the whole thing would have been more than enough; the remaining 1.5 hours of the drive we felt we were being pressured to buy wares from the traders. If you don't do the optional though, you will be left at the visitor centre a few miles away where you will see a couple of the monument rocks but not the valley itself, so you have to do the optional if you really want to see the valley; this wasn't explained to us until we were a couple of days into the holiday. If it's been dry for a couple of days be prepared to eat a lot of dust – take a mask if you have breathing difficulties as the dust will get everywhere. If you can do the flight over the valley though I would highly recommend it; just make sure you take some id with you as we arrived at the hotel 3 hours before the rest of the tour group and weren't allowed our room keys unless we had our id on us; sitting outside the hotel for that long is not fun, but the flight was definitely worth doing. The plane seats are huge and after leaving the valley we got to see Rainbow bridge, lake powell, glen canyon dam and some of the Grand Canyon; it's expensive but worth treating yourself too.

Snake River Raft

I loved this trip - and I have a fear of water; some people I spoke to hated it. Nobody can guarantee you will see anything other than river banks and the Grand Teton range so you need to approach it with an open mind, but if you're happy to bob along a river just drinking in the amazing scenery then book yourself on it. We were on the water for 3 hours; our oarsman was friendly, fun and knowledgeable and while we didn't really see the wildlife (moose, elk, bears etc that we had been told to look out for) the 11 Bald Headed Eagles we saw were a definite bonus.

Salt Lake City

As I've stated above when talking about tipping guides I would advise you to explore the city on your own - it's a very safe city if you don't find someone to explore with - there is a free shuttle that you can use and buses that run on a regular basis. If you get stuck just ask someone; the people are really friendly and more than willing to help. If you wish to do the tour be aware you won't see the lake as such (we had 15 minutes on the edge of a bit of water). You will drive from there to Park City where we were dropped off at the top of the hill and given 30 minutes to walk our way to the bottom. There are some fantastic art galleries on the way down and some very exclusive shops, but other than that not a lot else. After leaving there we were taken to the Heritage Park which is nice enough for open space with a small visitor centre but there was a function going on so we weren't able to get into the heritage houses themselves. The whole tour took over 5 hours; there is much more you could see in that time - or just take the chance of a lay-in if you need sleep.

Grand Canyon Helicopter

Again, as with the monument valley flight I can't recommend this enough. We were given the option of upgrading to an hour long flight by our tour guide (this was an additional $71) but when we got to the airport we only got the 30 minute tour, but in that time we had a great experience - everyone I spoke to that had a helicopter trip said it was the highlight of their holiday. If (like me) you are afraid of flying I still think you should brave it and give it a try. I can't describe the view - as someone that has been to the Grand Canyon before and thought it boring, seeing it from the air made me really appreciate what an amazing place it is. The point I realised I was looking up at the rim of the canyon (rather than down on it from above) was mind blowing and something that will live with me forever. Well worth the money.

The Hotels

I could list all these individually but to be honest they all pretty much group up well enough to not compare and so I will be generic. If you are expecting 4 or 5 star luxury (which it appeared some in our group were for the money they paid) you will be disappointed. Even the bigger hotels (Salt Lake City, Denver) had their issues. The only room I had during the whole trip that had curtains which met in the middle when closed was in Jackson, but that was negated by the 6mm gap in the door (I spent a lot of time dressing in the dark). This wouldn't have been an issue if I had not been overlooked, but most of the motels have walkways right outside your door. The rooms in all the hotels are very basic (unless you get a suite in Rapid City) but they are clean (except for Cortez and my room had a really badly stained carpet). You need to enter each room with no expectations (then you can't be disappointed) and remember that they are just somewhere to get your head down for the night - and all had good showers in the bathrooms so they have the main bases covered. With the exception of Vegas they all had a kettle (or some kind of coffee making equipment) a fridge, TV (not that you will want - or have time - to watch) plenty of towels, shampoo, conditioner and in some there was shower gel (not all had shower gel though so take some with you or buy some when you get there). Don't expect everything to work properly (I had a coffee maker that poured the water everywhere but the cup, a bathroom tap that leaked, a shower that had scalding hot or ice cold water with no in between temperature - and the walls in most are so thin you can hear your neighbours breathing (and other things!!) and people wandering the passageways, walkways and corridors, but the beds were comfy and there was working aircon in the rooms which was very much needed on most days. One of my hotel rooms didn't have a locking door. I also found hairdryers, irons and ironing boards in every room (except vegas) and the laundry in Salt Lake was very much needed to keep me going through the 2nd week - the prices weren't too bad either and the aircon makes an excellent drier if you don't want to tumble. Cortez also had a good laundry. The hotel pools were all usable although some were mighty cold and smaller than you would expect over here, but they were a definite added bonus.

Be aware that only the Sheridan and Grand Canyon hotels had somewhere to eat on site; all the other hotels had a room for breakfast but nowhere to get hot food, so you will need to venture outside if you wish to eat - I can't recommend Buca di Beppo in Salt Lake City highly enough if you like Italian food, but go with someone and share a meal and pudding; unless you can eat enough food for 4 people you will never get through a small portion on your own; I have never seen so much food on a plate before. 4 of us shared a small garlic bread and still had to leave some.

Jackson is a wonderful town with many different places to eat all within a 5 minute walk of the hotel; in fact there were so many nice looking places we struggled to make a choice - we wanted to eat at the Silver Dollar bar but it was closed, so if you get the chance pop in there as we heard from many locals and other travellers it was a lovely place.

If you like Steak when you get to Cortez walk down to Shiloh (5 minute walk) as their Ribeye is delicious and Houstons in Kanab (10 minutes walk) do the best BBQ ribs (off the bone) I have ever tasted (their fries aren't up to much but their fresh bread is warm, soft and very tasty). I was also told the 3 bears in Kanab was very good. In the Grand canyon we ate at the on site restaurant and I can recommend the Italian sausage pasta washed down with a Margarita. As for other dinner stops/meals we just wandered until we found something that suited however many of us there were at that time and the food in most places was very good. I'd advise budgeting $50 per day for food (this includes lunch, dinner, and any tea's/coffee's you may want when you're out). I rarely went down for breakfast (eating at 5am is not really my thing) but I never heard a bad word about any of the breakfasts except when in Rapid City (where I did breakfast the first morning and never bothered the second).

Be sure to visit Diamond Lil's bar in Deadwood (own by Kevin Costner) and sit and sup on a bottle of Moose Drool for a real bar experience.

I could try and describe the parks themselves to you but they are best experienced - also no words I could use would ever do them justice. One thing though is that you will NEVER have enough time at any of them, so soak up as much of the atmosphere and natural beauty that will be placed before you as you can.

Fort Laramie is great for old buildings and history but we never got to see half of them (we did stop at the Oregon Trail Ruts on the way so this ate into Fort Laramie time) so I'd suggest making the choice of going either left or right and accepting that whichever you choose will be all you get to see unless you can run like an athlete and not experience any of the buildings and history before you. The 2 hours at Grand and Bryce canyon mean if you hike the trails you really have to go some at them and end up spending so much time rushing to make sure you are back on time, that you won't get to experience the beauty before you, so walk a little way down just to say you have but do it at a leisurely pace and enjoy the short time you have without rushing - to me Bryce canyon is the most spectacular place I have ever visited (this wasn't my first visit there and every time I see it I find it improves). If you can manage hills then take a walk up to the Emerald Pools at Zion - there are 3 different levels but everyone should be able to manage the lowest pool - and it's worth doing for the view you get of the gorge and the river. The Badlands scenery is something else (in places reminiscent of a lunar landscape) but you will not get a lot of time to experience it so keep your eyes open as you drive through and try to make sure you're on the driver’s side of the coach that day, as you will get to see far more than those on the other side.

If you like the native history ask your guide if it's possible to visit the Tatanka museum outside of Deadwood - even those not interested in Native America said they were glad we were able to visit - and if you are offered the Yellow School Bus tour of Deadwood then for the extra $10 cost (plus tip) treat yourself; if you get Dave the driver and have a sense of humour you will love it - he is the funniest person I've met in years. Our coach driver that day was also willing to take us via Sundance and Devils Tower - not on the itinerary so not guaranteed but it's definitely worth asking if he is willing to drive a bit further if you have time.

Mesa Verde was not a place I was interested in visiting and I almost took the day off to spend catching up on some sleep, but I am so glad I never; it’s a wonderful place and I had a really interesting and enjoyable day visiting there. I didn’t do the option of Balcony House (80ft in total of ladders and a crawl through a tunnel are not my thing) but Spruce house is easy to reach and worth a wander round – even our elderly travellers and those walking with canes were able to visit Spruce.

Make sure you drink plenty of water while over there are as you will be at some very high elevations which can dehydrate you quickly - our driver always had a tub full of ice and bottled water - and be aware that if you suffer from vertigo or have altitude issues you could be affected; in some places we were over 8000ft above sea level and some people had nosebleeds, fainted or felt generally weak because of this; making sure you're prepared for this should help.

If you suffer from headaches then take pain relief with you to Yellowstone as the sulphur smell can be quite strong - the steam though makes it a great place for an outdoor sauna. Old faithful is great but if your guide knows where Biscuit Basin is ask if you can go there after you leave Old Faithful; it's a lot smaller but the colours in the pools and on the earth surfaces are amazing and several of the smaller geezers blew when we were there - you may get lucky too.

Clothes wise I couldn't tell you what to take except for something of everything; we were told it would be freezing at the beginning of the tour and cooking at the end, so I packed jumpers, thick socks, a coat and summer clothes; the jumpers, socks and coat never came out of my case as the temperatures were constantly high - we kept getting told they were 10-15'c well above what they should be for the time of year. A check of the weather forecasts before leaving would have better prepared me than the advice I was given beforehand did. Sturdy and comfy walking shoes are a must though; without them you will struggle. If you need something and don't have it (waterproof, fleece etc) you can buy it in any of the visitor centres you will stop at (and you will stop at a lot) but walking shoes that fit and are comfortable you will need to take with you.

Would I recommend this trip? As a taster for the great places to visit, then absolutely, but it will leave you wanting more and you will feel you’ve not had time to experience the amazing places you will see – that just means it’s time to get saving to go back and do it all again. Yes it could be a lot cheaper (and I have since found travel companies that do exactly the same tour but with the hotels in the parks so less driving and an awful lot cheaper – even with the single supplement additions) but unless you want to be the spare part in among couples then JY is the only way to visit and therefore they can command the additional costs – you just have to suck up the expense for the experience.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah

Thanks for the very comprehensive review. This is one trip I am interested in doing in the future. I guess you do end up spending a lot of time on the coach due to distances you have to travel as well. I have looked at the American holidays in Just You brochure and have come to a conclusion that you have to be ready to spend a lot of time on the coach plus put up with early starts. Sometimes this is the only way you get to see a lot in a short time! Hope you did enjoy the trip.

Jaya

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah, I was on this tour last Sept and wrote a review for the forum as well. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour on the whole although my experience of it was quite different to yours, so in the interests of anyone reading this review who is genuinely interested in this tour, I think it's only fair to point out where my holiday experience differed.

I think it is true to say that each tour is different, even when they follow the same itinerary! This is because each tour manager does things differently, in consultation with the driver and local guides (where they are used). For example, we didn't have a 5am start when we were in Yellowstone and we hopped on and off the coach regularly to stop off at different points of interest. We would have been back at the hotel probably around 6pm at the latest. The most important difference from your comments is that I would say that we had plenty of time at all the national parks - just the right amount and there were no complaints from anyone that there was not enough time to see everything. We were a large group of 40, so comfort stops were usually around 40-45 mins to allow everyone go to the toilet, get a coffee or whatever. We didn't have to eat on the coach and even on the rare occasions we stopped off at a supermarket to get a sandwich, there was plenty of time to eat it before getting back on the coach again.

Regarding Bryce - we stayed at the motel near the national park and there were complaints about it! I thought it was fine, but some people didn't like their rooms and there was a long queue for breakfast - some people who weren't down early enough didn't have time to eat! So from what I can gather JY changed the hotel to a better one, albeit further away; it's hard to win sometimes!

I am amazed at what your tour manager said about tipping - I've been on 9 holidays with JY or Travelsphere and never once has a tour manager said anything about their own tip! The guidelines given by them (and also usually given in the holiday docs) usually suggest the equivalent of $2-3 per day for the local guide and $1-2 for the driver, but as you know this is at the customer's discretion. I usually give the tour manager a good tip, as I reckon they really earn their money and the amount they get paid for doing a tour is not very much.

We didn't get to do the Vegas by night tour as our coach broke down, but I did it on the Golden West tour a couple of years previously and we were taken by coach from hotel to hotel - the same as on the day tour the following morning. We visited different hotels on the night and day tours, so what happened on your tour I would reckon was not right and hopefully was a one-off. But that is cold comfort for you!

This was one of the best tours I've ever done and I'm genuinely sorry there were some aspects of it that you didn't like or found frustrating - as I said, I didn't experience them on my tour and I loved it so much I would hate for anyone to be put off doing it! I think on such a long and busy tour, it's inevitable that some things don't go as smoothly as they might but in conclusion, it really sounds like your tour manager didn't get everything right which is a real pity. There were a couple of hiccups on our tour, but our TM worked very hard to sort them out to make things as enjoyable as possible.

Best wishes,

Bob

Mick W
(Member)
Did this trip last year (sept/oct) sadly cant comment on the 2nd half because our trip coincided with the American Government shutdown so we were unable to visit any of the National Parks after Salt Lake City. However our tour manager (Wendy Burdett) did an amazing job sorting out alternatives (State Parks) and certainly saved the holiday.

Wasn't the only thing that went wrong as we got stranded for a day in Atlanta and never made Denver, caught up with the tour in Rapid City, this was certainly one trip that the tour manager earned their tips.

We also missed the Snake River trip due to weather conditions but despite all these problems had a fantastic holiday.

Not good that a tour manager suggest their own tip, think if that happend on a holiday I'm on they would get nothing (will add its not happend yet). I'm a believer in tipping based on performance so mine do vary, don't believe in set amounts.

Mick

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you, Sarah and Bob, for giving us the chance to compare your experiences of this holiday. I was very shocked to read about the tour manager's "advice" on tipping. I've been on 8 or 9 (I'm beginning to lose count) JY holidays and on all of them the TM has spoken about tipping our driver and local guide but has never said anything about tipping themselves. He/she obviously hopes that the members of their group will want to do so but it really should be the individual's choice. On all but one of my holidays I have tipped the TM well because they have done a very good job but I'm afraid that, having read Sarah's account of her holiday, if I'd been in that party I would have thought twice, both because I was being told what I must give and also because the TM doesn't seem to have earned it. I do hope JY think twice before using this particular TM again.

Ann

katy1717
(Member)
Hello Sarah, I went on this trip earlier this year and am very glad to say we didn't have a 5am start on any of the days (normally 8.30am) and usually got back at the end of the day by 6pm. Also felt we had enough time at the various locations/National Parks etc. Your tour seems to have been very different (despite the same itinerary) - I'm now feeling grateful and lucky to have been on the tour I took, don't know how the time schedules could have been so at variance.

Overall, I think my experience of the trip was more akin to Bob's above. I was prepared for there to be a lot of bussing; I was braced for the hotels/motels to be not great but ended up being pretty happy with the accommodations, there were some niggles about a couple but on the whole it was OK. Knew the breakfasts would be a bit pants but managed with tea and found something to eat.

Am astounded that the guide told you what to tip himself/herself.

I loved Monument Valley, the stops along the four wheel drive route didn't feel too long for wandering around and I never felt any pressure to buy from the jewellery stalls. In fact, after the not very interesting expensive jewellery in all the gift shops, I really liked the (much) cheaper jewellery on the stalls and wished I'd known that this was the best stop if you wanted to buy any necklaces etc - I would have spent more that the $10 it cost to buy the one I have.

Unfortunately, unlike you I wasn't brave enough for the Grand Canyon helicopter - I really am terrified of flying. It does sound terrific.

Also our Vegas by night experience seems very different to yours - we had about 3 stops along the Strip to see different locations/hotels and then went to Fremont Street to catch the light show the Fremont Street Experience. I didn't do the morning Vegas tour but I understand from those that did that they went to different hotels than the previous evening.

I'm sorry you didn't have the better experiences I think I had on the tour, doesn't sound as if your TM earnt much of a tip.

Regards

Katy

sarahcecilb
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Bob; sorry I didn't want to put anyone off as I loved the trip on the whole and would recommend it, but I wanted to warn people about potential pitfalls as I spent 17 days listening to a lot of people complaining about time and travel (there were 40 of us too so I know what you mean about getting on and off a coach - try doing it with only 20 minutes). I guess between the 2 of us we've covered all bases and that can only be a good thing.

In one way I think the biggest issue was our tour guide wanted us to see as much as possible which is a wonderful thing but it meant we got less time elsewhere, but she couldn't win them all. I was one of the ones that actually didn't complain as I liked that I got to see more and early starts and late nights are part of holidaying, but as I say I know a lot of the other travellers found it really hard going so for those booking the future, forewarned is forearmed as they say.

'BGray' wrote:

Hi Sarah, I was on this tour last Sept and wrote a review for the forum as well. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour on the whole although my experience of it was quite different to yours, so in the interests of anyone reading this review who is genuinely interested in this tour, I think it's only fair to point out where my holiday experience differed.

I think it is true to say that each tour is different, even when they follow the same itinerary! This is because each tour manager does things differently, in consultation with the driver and local guides (where they are used). For example, we didn't have a 5am start when we were in Yellowstone and we hopped on and off the coach regularly to stop off at different points of interest. We would have been back at the hotel probably around 6pm at the latest. The most important difference from your comments is that I would say that we had plenty of time at all the national parks - just the right amount and there were no complaints from anyone that there was not enough time to see everything. We were a large group of 40, so comfort stops were usually around 40-45 mins to allow everyone go to the toilet, get a coffee or whatever. We didn't have to eat on the coach and even on the rare occasions we stopped off at a supermarket to get a sandwich, there was plenty of time to eat it before getting back on the coach again.

Regarding Bryce - we stayed at the motel near the national park and there were complaints about it! I thought it was fine, but some people didn't like their rooms and there was a long queue for breakfast - some people who weren't down early enough didn't have time to eat! So from what I can gather JY changed the hotel to a better one, albeit further away; it's hard to win sometimes!

I am amazed at what your tour manager said about tipping - I've been on 9 holidays with JY or Travelsphere and never once has a tour manager said anything about their own tip! The guidelines given by them (and also usually given in the holiday docs) usually suggest the equivalent of $2-3 per day for the local guide and $1-2 for the driver, but as you know this is at the customer's discretion. I usually give the tour manager a good tip, as I reckon they really earn their money and the amount they get paid for doing a tour is not very much.

We didn't get to do the Vegas by night tour as our coach broke down, but I did it on the Golden West tour a couple of years previously and we were taken by coach from hotel to hotel - the same as on the day tour the following morning. We visited different hotels on the night and day tours, so what happened on your tour I would reckon was not right and hopefully was a one-off. But that is cold comfort for you!

This was one of the best tours I've ever done and I'm genuinely sorry there were some aspects of it that you didn't like or found frustrating - as I said, I didn't experience them on my tour and I loved it so much I would hate for anyone to be put off doing it! I think on such a long and busy tour, it's inevitable that some things don't go as smoothly as they might but in conclusion, it really sounds like your tour manager didn't get everything right which is a real pity. There were a couple of hiccups on our tour, but our TM worked very hard to sort them out to make things as enjoyable as possible.

Best wishes,

Bob

sarahcecilb
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jaya

I say if you've considered it then do it. It was on the whole the best holiday I've ever had (which I don't think came across in the first part of my review but I was trying to prepare people so they knew what to expect with the first bit). The trip itself was great, the beds comfy, the food good and the views spectacular. If you're prepared for the travel time then book it. You will come back with wonderful memories and stunning photos.

'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Sarah

Thanks for the very comprehensive review. This is one trip I am interested in doing in the future. I guess you do end up spending a lot of time on the coach due to distances you have to travel as well. I have looked at the American holidays in Just You brochure and have come to a conclusion that you have to be ready to spend a lot of time on the coach plus put up with early starts. Sometimes this is the only way you get to see a lot in a short time! Hope you did enjoy the trip.

Jaya

Mary Beverley
(Member)
I was on the Mount Rushmore tour which started on 16th September and I think my experiences were a bit different from Sarah's. Our tour manager, Julie, didn't make any demands tip wise and was very attuned to the needs of the party. As I said in a earlier post, she must have felt she was herding cats at times!! Our driver, Darlene was an absolute gem and worked her socks off. although I would agree that time on the coach can be a problem and that sometimes stops didn't seem long enough to fully enjoy the places we visited, I don't think we felt as rushed as Sarah was. certainly we had more than 20 minutes at a restroom stop... so maybe it depends on the tour manager's skills. I also thought the hotel standard was pretty good and in some cases better than expected. Huge beds, big rooms, even a jacuzzi in Salt Lake City. Only complaint was no bath bubbles and some breakfasts were disappointing.

Our Monument Valley trip was dusty but at no time were we forced to look at trading stalls. In Las vegas our evening trip was completely different from our day tour and the light show on Freemont was fab. I wasn't a fan of LV but have to appreciate the weird and wonderful place it is!! Definitely go on the elevator to the 109th floor of the Stratosphere. Some view!

If you go to Old faithful, head for the Lodge, sit on the balcony with a beer and enjoy... very memorable. Snake River (yep lots of eagles... but we saw elk too) and the helicopter in to Grand Canyon, unmissable.

I agree this is a taster of a holiday and I now know where I would wish to return to spend more time. If you are in a good group, which I was, the time on the coach is bearable and the evenings are fun. Not sure I want to do 3200 miles and 8 states in 17 days again, but wow it was an experience!!

mary

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you Mary, Bob and Katy for putting my mind at rest! I certainly would like to do this trip one day. On the whole my view is that everyone's expectations vary. I personally go along with the flow and always travel with an open mind. I find that this means that I am never disappointed as my expectations on holidays are not very high. As a reason I have enjoyed everyone of my 7 Just You holidays to date. I am sure some people would complain if they did not get a chance to see more, especially if they had late starts in the morning. It is not easy to please everyone. Tour managers, on the whole, do a great job as they have to deal with different personalities all the time. Some travellers can be very hard to please. I always say that if you expect home comforts then it is best to stay at home. Nothing is perfect in life and if one accepts this, then they will have no problem with little niggles whilst on holiday. Keep on smiling and try to find something positive in every situation! I would also like to add that on the holidays I have been with Just You, no Tour Manager has ever told us what to tip him/her. All they do is give us a guidance as to what to tip the driver and local tour guide etc and then it is up to the people to decide what they want to give. Just You also includes tipping tips in the information they sent with the final documents. Even if the TM did say what tips to give him/her, no one is forced to do so!

Regards

Jaya

gulliver
(Member)
I have done 3 US trips with JY i.e. Route 66, NP and LBH and have just done Canada and New England etc. None of the tour managers asked for tips for themselves, but, they were all British/European and with a stiff upper lip 'Its not the done thing old boy' However, having travelled independently to the States on a number of occasions and done tours with different companies with US guides it is the accepted thing that they ask for gratuities for themselves to show gratitude for a job well done. Its the same as paying a bill in a restaurant and having the waiter look you in the face and ask you 'Will you be expecting change Sir' It would seem you had a US guide on the trip and he/she was just doing what comes naturally. Just accept that its the done thing over there.
sarahcecilb
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Oh my; it appears a lot of my words have been mis-read.

I was not complaining in any way about the trip and I expected to pay tips. I wanted my review to be more of a guide for others booking so they know what to expect as a lot of our group were on tight budgets and hadn't allowed for certain costs. It was never my intention to put anyone off and if you read through it all you - I am aware I've written a lot - you will see I have recommended the whole thing - including the optional extras; it was an amazing time.

I just wanted people to be prepared for everything so they too can enjoy the wondrous sights they will get to see. I'm obviously not good at wording things.

sallyc
(Member)
Don't worry Sarah - this is a trip I intend to do and thoroughly enjoyed your review, thank you for all the information. I'm sure most of the complainers on your trip don't come on the forum so wouldn't have known what to expect which is a real shame.
Kezzer46
(Member)
The subject of tips comes up quiet often, when traveling to certain countries especially the USA - I think the tips should be included in the cost of the holiday. I find the whole tipping business a pain and embarrassing. You were right to point it out Sarah - because there were quite a few people on the this trip when I went who didn't realise how much they were expected to hand over in tips.
DavidG
(Member)
As a 'veteran' of 14 JY holidays and just having returned from this holiday (from Manchester) I would like to add some comments. In all these holidays the TM has never asked for tips for him/herself.

Like Australia, the USA is a huge country and will entail a lot of travelling and some early rises if you want to see as much as possible. Whilst the overall inteneraries are similar they can vary due to road closures (Yellowstone) plus the individual TM's wish to show as much as possible. Hotels will vary depending on cost and availability but I have never stayed anywhere in what I would consider a bad hotel. Hotels near or in the American parks etc are much more expensive. Where hotels did not have restaurants, there was always a choice nearby which our TM pointed out.

Bryce Canyon - we had plenty of time to see everything and to walk several trails.

Monument Valley - I agree that the four-wheel drive was really good with interesting stops.

Snake River Raft - again very good, but be aware that it lasts 3 hours and is VERY cold!

LV - our programme was different as we had an early start the next day to catch our Manchester flight. The LV tour was arranged for the evening and was the only badly arranged day. After seeing the spectacular Freemont Street display, we then toured the strip and wasted a lot of time trying to park with the result that we got back to the Stratosphere very late, tired and not having eaten since lunchtime. I would have liked the option of leaving the coach after Freemont Street, walking the sights, getting something to eat and then making my own way back to the hotel.

To summarise, an excellent holiday which I can strongly recommend with only the minor LV problem. Richard the TM was great!

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Sarah

I have just been on my 10th JY tour and although the TM usually says something about tipping the driver and local guides, this time SHE DID MENTION TIPPING HER AS WELL!!! she said the guide for her or the driver was $4-$5 a day, so approx $50 for her and $50 for driver plus all the locals guides chambermaids etc few $ here there and everywhere really does mount up over a 14-16 day holiday!

I am sorry but I will only tip when and where I think it is needed not just because someone has told me to do it.

Cindy

Mick W
(Member)
Tipping is always a subject for disscussion and think the amounts we are been quoted are starting to get out of hand, the recommended amount has doubled in the 4 years i've been using JY. Doubt many of our incomes have doubled.

I'll ask a silly question but does the Tour Manager get paid by JY ?

Because its often pointed out that its something we pay for in the price of our holiday.

$50 for under 2 weeks work, not a bad amount if 40 people on the tour (was 45 when i did Route 66), now if my Maths are correct thats $2,000 not bad considering it is cash in hand so possibly tax free, can't recall ever getting a receipt which would happen if included in the holiday price.

Add a salary to that and i'm thinking i'm in the wrong job.

Of course I do realise not everyone gives the recommended amount but one thing that bothers me is what are couples to recommended pay on Travelsphere Holidays,way i see it to be fair it should be $8 to $10 as 40 people on a bus only equates to 20 potential tips.

Not sure thats the case and as i remember from going on a travelsphere holiday its $4/5 per couple so its example of solo travellers getting another hidden supplement.

For the record I'm one who basis my tipping on performance.

SarahS
(Member)
Totally agree Cindy. I expect to tip the driver and tour manager based on service recieved. There is often guidance on this included in the JY paperwork. What I don't appreciate is being handed an information sheet by the tour manager showing an expected and often inflated tip for themselves. I feel JY could be more upfront on subject of tips to tour managers. Perhaps a note in the information pages of the brochure. Earlier this year, on the South Africa tour, the going rate for the tour manager was stated as £4per day. Also, on that trip, we were told to tip several different guides on the included excursion to the ostrich farm, amounting to over ten pounds for a two hour tour. Incidentally, in my experience, the worst of the tour managers always demand the highest tips! Please Just You, can we have some input on this thorny subject. If tips are regarded as mandatory, why are they not included in the base cost?
katy1717
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

Sarah

I have just been on my 10th JY tour and although the TM usually says something about tipping the driver and local guides, this time SHE DID MENTION TIPPING HER AS WELL!!! she said the guide for her or the driver was $4-$5 a day, so approx $50 for her and $50 for driver plus all the locals guides chambermaids etc few $ here there and everywhere really does mount up over a 14-16 day holiday!

I am sorry but I will only tip when and where I think it is needed not just because someone has told me to do it.

Cindy

Hi Cindy, on the US tour I took in June, in discussion with the other tour members re tips, we noted that JY suggested $3 per day for TMs in the literature they had sent out. Gosh - $4-$5 per day for the TM and driver - soon mounts up. In any event, I think if any TM told me what I should tip her, this would ensure that any tip they received was a lot less than the number I'd first thought of.

I've had some considerably less than stellar TMs and this would be reflected in my tip but also knowing how badly paid waitresses and chambermaids are in the US I always try to be fair.

Katy

DouglasL
(Member)
Some general thoughts on tipping for US holidays. I used to have a tour company, which provided services in Scotland for one of the US major deluxe tour operators. Their tipping schedule, which the TM had, was over 12 pages for an 11 day tour of Scotland. It listed every tip that he / she had to give from the porter at the airport on arrival, through chambermaids, waiters, guides etc until the tour departed. Most tips were based on an amount multiplied by the number of guests on the tour. The clients who had booked on the tour had these tips included in the price that they had paid, so nothing extra to pay.

In the US, staff in the hospitality industry get a very low basic wage. The US Revenue automatically tax hospitality employees on their wage including tips so hence why they expect a tip.

I was once "chased" up an escalator by the Restaurant Supervisor of the New Your Hilton because I had not left a tip. The service had been bad, but they still expected one!!

DouglasL.

;)