Marion Louise Weatherley
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello All

Returned Sunday afternoon, what can I say apart from amazing, exciting, exhausting

Fabulous people, couldn't do enough for us, hospitality and a need to please was

Every where..

due to the recent & on going problems in surrounding countries has affected the

amount of tourist visiting Jordan. This was to our advantage but was affecting the locals who rely on tourists for there livelihoods..

All three Hotels were to a very high standard and my favourite was The Guest House

at Petra. Right on the door step to Petra, which you will be glad of once you have walked and claimed around Petra all day.. Suggestion take a small torch if you do the return visit by candle light in the evening..one of our group had a nasty fall on the long walk back, due to the darkness and uneven ground of course..

We had an excellent rep Jennie, it was her first trip so she was as enthusiastic as us..

Our Jordanian. Guide was knowledgable, kind & considerate couldn't do enough for us..

Age group from 40 to 80s and I am 63 there was no pressure if you felt you couldn't do some aspects of the trip..however a few of the older ones put me to shame..we were a small group only 18 of us but this helped keep us together..

Strongely recommend this trip, do it soon before it disappears..

My favourite part was Jerash...

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Marion

I am so glad you enjoyed Jordan. When I went in September 2009, we did not get the opportunity to visit Petra by candle light - it must have been amazing. I loved Jordan and it was my first Just You experience.

Jaya

katy1717
(Member)
Hi Marion, thanks for posting an up to date review of Jordan. This trip has been high on my wishlist for sometime and I had finally just got round to booking it. Due to go on 1st November, I like cool temperatures and I hope this will suit me.

A couple of questions, what currency should I take? I'm not sure what the local currency is, or will dollars, euros do? Also, was WIFI easily available?

Really looking forward to this trip.

Katy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Marion,

Many thanks for your review - I'm off to Jordan on 1 Nov too so it was great to get an up to date view on the holiday. How was Wadi Rum - I'm interested in hearing as this excursion is now modified as the 4x4 jeep trip has been cancelled.

Hi Katy - looking forward to meeting you in six weeks! I'm just taking euro (as I live in Ireland) and I reckon you'd be fine with sterling.

Best wishes,

Bob

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Marion

Thanks for posting a review sounds like a great tour, glad you enjoyed it.

Cindy

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
'katy1717' wrote:

Hi Marion, thanks for posting an up to date review of Jordan. This trip has been high on my wishlist for sometime and I had finally just got round to booking it. Due to go on 1st November, I like cool temperatures and I hope this will suit me.

A couple of questions, what currency should I take? I'm not sure what the local currency is, or will dollars, euros do? Also, was WIFI easily available?

Katy

Hi Katy,

I did this trip at the end of April this year so I can answer your question regarding the currency.

The local currency is the Dinar. You can change GBP to Dinar easily while you're in Jordan, and usually at a better rate than you will get in UK.

The best opportunities to exchange GBP will be in Amman and Petra.

In Amman, a small general store about 5 mins walk from the hotel was offering 1.05 Dinar compared to a rate of 0.98 in UK. To find the general store, turn right out of the Hotel Bristol (I'm assuming you're staying there) and walk to the first junction. Turn right again and a few yards down on the right-hand side you will find the general store. You can also use the opportunity to stock up on bottled water etc while you're there if you wish.

In Petra, there is a currency exchange shop in the square that comprises the Petra visitor centre. To find the currency exchange, walk to the far left hand corner of the square and the currency exchange is at the bottom of a flight of steps. You have to walk this way to the Petra site itself so you can't miss it. They were offering more than 1.05 when I was there but I can't remember the exact figure - sorry!

So, to summarise, if you want to take some Dinar from UK to get you started then that's fine but not essential, and you can exchange GBP into Dinar very easily while you're there. There's no need to take USD or euros to exchange into Dinar.

Hope this helps and have a great trip. I'm sure that you will enjoy it.

Cheers

Mike

katy1717
(Member)
Mike, thanks for the info re the currency (and details of the general store to get water etc in Amman) really useful to know, it'll be good to get everything sorted straightaway. I'll just take some sterling.

Bob - yes, look forward to meeting you in 6 weeks - looks like a really good tour, everyone has such good things to say about it.

Katy

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Katy

When I went to Jordan in September 2009 I did take Dinar and also some Sterling. I pesonally think it is always nice to have some local currency handy at the beginning as you never know when you will have the opportunity to buy it after you arrive. Have a great time.

Jaya

Marion Louise Weatherley
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'mikew' wrote:

'katy1717' wrote:

Katy

Hi Katy,

I did this trip at the end of April this year so I can answer your question regarding the currency.

The local currency is the Dinar. You can change GBP to Dinar easily while you're in Jordan, and usually at a better rate than you will get in UK.

The best opportunities to exchange GBP will be in Amman and Petra.

In Amman, a small general store about 5 mins walk from the hotel was offering 1.05 Dinar compared to a rate of 0.98 in UK. To find the general store, turn right out of the Hotel Bristol (I'm assuming you're staying there) and walk to the first junction. Turn right again and a few yards down on the right-hand side you will find the general store. You can also use the opportunity to stock up on bottled water etc while you're there if you wish.

In Petra, there is a currency exchange shop in the square that comprises the Petra visitor centre. To find the currency exchange, walk to the far left hand corner of the square and the currency exchange is at the bottom of a flight of steps. You have to walk this way to the Petra site itself so you can't miss it. They were offering more than 1.05 when I was there but I can't remember the exact figure - sorry!

So, to summarise, if you want to take some Dinar from UK to get you started then that's fine but not essential, and you can exchange GBP into Dinar very easily while you're there. There's no need to take USD or euros to exchange into Dinar.

Hope this helps and have a great trip. I'm sure that you will enjoy it.

Cheers

Mike

Hello Katy

Sorry for poor reply not been back on for ages...re what money to take JY recommended Dinah and I was glad I took it with me..some people managed to get it out of the ATM but it became a chore for them..to be honest we didn't spend much as so much was included and really not much to buy..unless you like coloured layer sand.. Happy hour with £4 cocktails which went down well with us all..some people took money home..I only took £200..they will take any money but you will need to know the exchange rate..try and get some loose change as you need to tip..in all the toilets..which on the whole were very good..take tissues and hand gel..

WFI wa charged in two of the Hotels but be careful as it could be expensive make sure you only ask for one hour... Last Hotel it was free..we also managed to get a signal outside the Mosque as a few of us didn't do in...

Everyone was so polite and friendly and said thank you for coming to Jordan as it's quite quiet at the moment... You will have a wonderful time and even better for not being so hot, especially in Petra regards Marion

Marion Louise Weatherley
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Marion,

Many thanks for your review - I'm off to Jordan on 1 Nov too so it was great to get an up to date view on the holiday. How was Wadi Rum - I'm interested in hearing as this excursion is now modified as the 4x4 jeep trip has been cancelled.

Hi Katy - looking forward to meeting you in six weeks! I'm just taking euro (as I live in Ireland) and I reckon you'd be fine with sterling.

Best wishes,

Bob

Hello Bob

Like you I was disappointed not to be doing the 4x4 but after speaking to. JY I understand why it's cancelled.. Wadi Rum was amazing very hot when we went we could hardly breath..so I was glad I wasn't on a jeep that May or may not break down in the middle of the desert.. We had lunch which was some of the best food we had had all week, was good to take in the area and you could walk around if you could cope.. We felt it was a little staged but enjoyable..

We did take Dinah as advised by JY and you will need small change for tips and mint tea..but I think they will take anything as long as you can do the conversions.. One good thing this trip water was free on the coach and you get two bottles a day..

I really hope you get the same Jordanian guide we had he was excellent

Have an amazing time I am sure you will Regard Marion

PS Jordanian Air is one of the beys flights I have ever had

Marion Louise Weatherley
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'katy1717' wrote:

Mike, thanks for the info re the currency (and details of the general store to get water etc in Amman) really useful to know, it'll be good to get everything sorted straightaway. I'll just take some sterling.

Bob - yes, look forward to meeting you in 6 weeks - looks like a really good tour, everyone has such good things to say about it.

Katy

Hello Katy

Sent a reply but think it's attached to Mikes message..we all took Dinah and got some loose change as soon as we could as you need it for tipping..it's just easier plus saves worrying about ATM's..you are kept to a fairly tight schedule so not much time to go off on your own..

Water was free on the coach arranged by our guide two bottles a day which we all drank easily also the hotels all put water in your rooms FOC..

You will have a n amazing time and at least it won't be so hot when you go

Regards Marion

katy1717
(Member)
'Marion wrote:

'katy1717' wrote:

Katy

Hello Katy

Sent a reply but think it's attached to Mikes message..we all took Dinah and got some loose change as soon as we could as you need it for tipping..it's just easier plus saves worrying about ATM's..you are kept to a fairly tight schedule so not much time to go off on your own..

Water was free on the coach arranged by our guide two bottles a day which we all drank easily also the hotels all put water in your rooms FOC..

You will have a n amazing time and at least it won't be so hot when you go

Regards Marion

Hi Marion, thanks for your information (and thanks to Mike for his info too). I picked the November departure in the hope it won't be too hot (don't like very hot weather). Good to know about the water, and glad you liked Jordanian airlines - some of the airlines JY use on some of the other trips, I would be a bit nervous about. Will try and sort out a bit of local currency before I go. Really looking forward to this trip now, its somewhere I've always wanted to go to.

Regards Katy